Bengals 37 Texans 31

Definitely impressive what they have done the last two weeks with so many players out. I have complained about Taylor and how other offensive coaches can still make their offense somewhat productive even without their starting quarterback. The last two weeks, Taylor has done a good job with the offense and having a backup qb. 

31 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Definitely impressive what they have done the last two weeks with so many players out. I have complained about Taylor and how other offensive coaches can still make their offense somewhat productive even without their starting quarterback. The last two weeks, Taylor has done a good job with the offense and having a backup qb. 

Do you think we could refund on Joe B.?

1 hour ago, nkypete said:

Enjoy the win.  The Bengals drop to 6th in the 2021 NFL Draft order.  Bah humbug.

Eventually this team has to learn how to win again. Even when they has Burrow they were losing the close games. Having the third pick would be great, but this team has to truly learn how to win again. Plus important to see Taylor look like he is growing some as a HC and play caller. At the end of the day it is better for the Bengals if Taylor does end up being the right guy, rather than having to start over again. 

I was all for moving on from Taylor and having the third pick. However, this is not a bad thing for them to be learning how to win. Especially with so many players out. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, futurecoach said:

Eventually this team has to learn how to win again. Even when they has Burrow they were losing the close games. Having the third pick would be great, but this team has to truly learn how to win again. Plus important to see Taylor look like he is growing some as a HC and play caller. At the end of the day it is better for the Bengals if Taylor does end up being the right guy, rather than having to start over again. 

I was all for moving on from Taylor and having the third pick. However, this is not a bad thing for them to be learning how to win. Especially with so many players out. 

I actually do agree with you.  I know a lot of people were hoping to draft Sewell, so I was being obnoxious.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, nkypete said:

Enjoy the win.  The Bengals drop to 6th in the 2021 NFL Draft order.  Bah humbug.

In 2008 the New York Jets won their final regular season game, this caused them to fall from 3rd in the draft to 6th.  The 3rd pick that year, Matt Ryan.  The 6th pick that year, Vernon Gholston.

I understand the need to "learn how to win".  But man I hope this doesn't hurt them in the long run.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, brown4 said:

In 2008 the New York Jets won their final regular season game, this caused them to fall from 3rd in the draft to 6th.  The 3rd pick that year, Matt Ryan.  The 6th pick that year, Vernon Gholston.

I understand the need to "learn how to win".  But man I hope this doesn't hurt them in the long run.

People get hung up on the position in the draft.  Having the higher pick doesn't guarantee you squat.  (Hello JaMarcus Russell)  You can look back at drafts littered with first and second round picks that never panned out and success stories from lower rounds.

Yes, Gholston was a bust with the 6th pick.  But, that doesn't mean there were only 5 quality players that year.  Heck, there've been 7 Pro-Bowlers who were taken in round 2 alone that year.

The Patriots got Richard Seymour with the 6th pick in 2001, and since then have had only one other draft pick since then in the top 10 (actually, it was #10 in '08), and 2 others in the top 20 picks.  Every pick, aside from those 3, have been 21st or lower.  And the last I checked, they've done alright during that time span.

It's not what pick you've got...it's what you do with it.

• Like 1

If anyone is complaining about not being able to get Penei Sewell because we have won 2 games in a row now that we weren’t expecting to win, you don’t deserve to root for this team. End of discussion. There are other great players in this draft. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

People get hung up on the position in the draft.  Having the higher pick doesn't guarantee you squat.  (Hello JaMarcus Russell)  You can look back at drafts littered with first and second round picks that never panned out and success stories from lower rounds.

Yes, Gholston was a bust with the 6th pick.  But, that doesn't mean there were only 5 quality players that year.  Heck, there've been 7 Pro-Bowlers who were taken in round 2 alone that year.

The Patriots got Richard Seymour with the 6th pick in 2001, and since then have had only one other draft pick since then in the top 10 (actually, it was #10 in '08), and 2 others in the top 20 picks.  Every pick, aside from those 3, have been 21st or lower.  And the last I checked, they've done alright during that time span.

It's not what pick you've got...it's what you do with it.

5 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

If anyone is complaining about not being able to get Penei Sewell because we have won 2 games in a row now that we weren’t expecting to win, you don’t deserve to root for this team. End of discussion. There are other great players in this draft. 

Yea I get it, it's all about what you do with the pick.  But the odds of getting a better player at 3 are higher than at 6. But I want them to have pick 3, because they're more likely to be offered a ransom for that pick than they would at 6. I'd rather them have the opportunity to draft 3-4 quality players, than 1 potential star player.  It's a crap shoot, I get it, but the probability is higher for the Bengals if they have 1 higher pick, or multiple other round picks.

3>6

16, 48, 108,  possible high round pick in 2022>6  (just a random example of a possible offer they could receive for a QB needy team)

I'm not complaining about them losing, I just feel more confident that they'll be better in the future with a higher draft pick.  It's not just in the first round either, I feel more confident that they could draft a better player at 35 than at 38.  Can they win their last 3 games and still draft better players in the 6th position of each round? Absolutely, I get it, I understand how it works.  I just feel personally more confident with a higher pick. Does it matter how I feel to anyone besides myself?  Not at all.  Does this mean I don't deserve to root for the Bengals? Not at all.

1 hour ago, brown4 said:

Yea I get it, it's all about what you do with the pick.  But the odds of getting a better player at 3 are higher than at 6. But I want them to have pick 3, because they're more likely to be offered a ransom for that pick than they would at 6. I'd rather them have the opportunity to draft 3-4 quality players, than 1 potential star player.  It's a crap shoot, I get it, but the probability is higher for the Bengals if they have 1 higher pick, or multiple other round picks.

3>6

16, 48, 108,  possible high round pick in 2022>6  (just a random example of a possible offer they could receive for a QB needy team)

I'm not complaining about them losing, I just feel more confident that they'll be better in the future with a higher draft pick.  It's not just in the first round either, I feel more confident that they could draft a better player at 35 than at 38.  Can they win their last 3 games and still draft better players in the 6th position of each round? Absolutely, I get it, I understand how it works.  I just feel personally more confident with a higher pick. Does it matter how I feel to anyone besides myself?  Not at all.  Does this mean I don't deserve to root for the Bengals? Not at all.

The chances of the Bengals trading their 1st round pick for multiple picks is better if they have #6 than if they have #3. At #3 they are not trading and will take Sewell. At #6, they might trade back a few slots to get an extra pick.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, brown4 said:

3>6

Wheeling and dealing for more draft picks is fine and dandy...again, if you know what to do with them.  I understand what you're saying, the higher the pick...the higher the probability they'll be successful, or the more the picks...the greater the chance that at least one (or more) of them will be.  But there's no guarantee.  There are high draft choices that are busts each year.  Likewise, there are hidden gems that people seem to find each year later on in the draft.  You just don't know.  I don't know.

Here's what I do know.  This team hasn't had a winning year for the past five years (including 2020).  And, prior to the past 2 games...they were 4-24-1 under Taylor.  Heck, Dave Shula went at least 8-24 in his first 2 years.  And we know what track that took us down.  This team needed to find a way to win.  And, this is going to sound weird...but, I'm glad they were able to do it without Joe Burrow.  They need to win games as a team.  Heck, all you need to do is watch one game film of Burrow to know he's better than Ryan Finley.  And when you compare the 10 games of Burrow versus Allen, you'd come to that same conclusion.  So, if this team can win some games without Joe Burrow (and Joe Mixon)...imagine what they can do when they get them back again.

The Bengals this year are 2-5-1 in games decided by 8 points or less.  The Kansas City Chiefs are 8-1.  So, it's not totally inconceivable to imagine that this team could very easily be 9-5 right now.  And, even if they didn't make the playoffs...the team, the city, the fans, would all be excited.  Would people be saying that we should've lost these last 2 games, just to get the 14th pick in the draft, versus the 18th?  I doubt it.  Because we had changed the narrative of being a losing team.  We could see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We'd want to build off that momentum heading into 2021.  So why not now?  

I hope they win 3 in a row and knock the Ravens out of the playoffs.  And honestly, I don't really care if it cost us 4 draft spots in doing so.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brown4 said:

3>6

I truly get what you are saying. Which if the Bengals were still in a need for a QB, I would want them lose like I wanted them to do at the end of last year, so they could get Burrow. Yet even then, say if they had ended up winning the Dolphins game and not having the top pick. They would have ended up with Herbert instead and as we have seen, that would have not been a bad thing at all. 

Say the Bengals are drafting 6th. They very well may be able to trade down from there with a team wanting a QB. Or if not, even at the 6th pick they will have a chance to still get a top tackle. Or get the top player at another position that could make a difference like a Pitts, and Jamar Chase. 

The Bengals are in a pretty good shape right now either way to get a top player that can help next year. So then learning how to win in the meantime is a very good thing. 

The Bengals have so many needs that the draft slot is not as crucial.

Obviously the Bengals need offensive line help.

The two leading tacklers on this team are the safeties Bates and Bell. I think the Bengals could use a top tier linebacker.

One player on the Bengals is in the top 130 in sacks -  Carl Lawson is #43 with 5.5 sacks. Not good. The Bengals need an edge rusher.

A shutdown corner would be a big help.

The needs are many. Whoever they get with their first pick no matter what pick it is will start and be a big help. If they can turn their pick into multiple picks, that will help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

The Bengals have so many needs that the draft slot is not as crucial.

Obviously the Bengals need offensive line help.

The two leading tacklers on this team are the safeties Bates and Bell. I think the Bengals could use a top tier linebacker.

One player on the Bengals is in the top 130 in sacks -  Carl Lawson is #43 with 5.5 sacks. Not good. The Bengals need an edge rusher.

A shutdown corner would be a big help.

The needs are many. Whoever they get with their first pick no matter what pick it is will start and be a big help. If they can turn their pick into multiple picks, that will help.

I honestly don’t think the secondary is that bad, but as you said their pass rush is horrible. I do think they need to make sure they sign Lawson back. While he hasn’t had the sack numbers, I believe I saw he is in the top 20 in regards to total amount of pressures. Getting some more help on the other edge and in the interior should help him get home more. Right now with him being the only one getting pressure, it is easy for the QB to move around to avoid it and get the pass off still. 

Both the offensive and defensive lines are the biggest needs in my opinion. However, obviously could always use upgrades in other areas too.