Kelvin Joseph opts out

John Anthony

6 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Serious question... Does he have draft stock?

No clue. I haven't watched a college football game in a great many years. But someone he trusted told him at some point that he does. It might have been in that KSR column that Stoops thinks he does. 

If my choices are 1) finishing the season with UK and people still wondering if I have any draft stock, or 2) working to get from undrafted to 7th round pick without the chance of a devastating injury in a meaningless game, I'm probably going with the second option. At least then the ball is in my court and if I don't make it I can't blame my bad team and carry around that bad juju.

6 minutes ago, SnottieDrippen said:

No clue. I haven't watched a college football game in a great many years. But someone he trusted told him at some point that he does. It might have been in that KSR column that Stoops thinks he does. 

If my choices are 1) finishing the season with UK and people still wondering if I have any draft stock, or 2) working to get from undrafted to 7th round pick without the chance of a devastating injury in a meaningless game, I'm probably going with the second option. At least then the ball is in my court and if I don't make it I can't blame my bad team and carry around that bad juju.

For the record, I don't blame anybody for opting out, especially in 2020. 

Some of these opt-outers seem to me to be quitting on their team especially when it is late in the season and their team is not doing so well.   (See Javian Hawkins at UL, too). If you're considering opting out  because you think you can get a pro contract, have the decency to do it before the season so your coaches and teammates have the time make  other arrangements.   Don't be a quitter because your team is doing poorly.   Why be a member of a team if you put yourself first?  if you can't be a good teammate, then don't join the team..........My take.

17 hours ago, tcjkbt said:

Some of these opt-outers seem to me to be quitting on their team especially when it is late in the season and their team is not doing so well.   (See Javian Hawkins at UL, too). If you're considering opting out  because you think you can get a pro contract, have the decency to do it before the season so your coaches and teammates have the time make  other arrangements.   Don't be a quitter because your team is doing poorly.   Why be a member of a team if you put yourself first?  if you can't be a good teammate, then don't join the team..........My take.

Because college is an internship for most athletes. Like it or not, at a major university like the two you mentioned, getting players to the next level is a YUGE portion of the recruiting pie. 

If that's an issue, enjoy watching one and two star recruits get thumped by programs who are accepting the shift away from players playing all four years. Because to extrapolate your point, they signed up for a four year scholarship. By your thinking, it doesn't matter if they leave after year one or in the middle of year three; they've breached that contract.

Further...

Nobody has anything bad to say about the Khalil Whitney's of the world who aren't good enough to make the rotation, and who leave the team to focus on other things. We wish them the best and justify their position. But when a really good player, and I don't know how good Kelvin Joseph is, wants to do the same and pursue the next level, they're quitters.

• Like 1