Covington Catholic 38 Highlands 21

1 hour ago, bluecolonels95 said:

CCH struggles too much on offense and we haven’t played the toughest schedule in the world this year like previous years.  I still say Freddy Douglass and Bowling Green are the 2 best teams in 5A but we shall see I guess. It looks like we play Madison Southern next week and hopefully we can get the W there but the semi- final game will be tough and I think it will end there.
Our leading rusher shouldn’t be a QB. What happened to our RB’s this year? I say put in  Zion Mason at RB for the remainder of playoffs. He looks legit. 

The guy that was supposed to be THE guy the next 2 years isn't on the team. 

• Like 1

I'm still stunned seeing how good Caleb is as a runner. Obviously kids develop as they get older, but from where he was a sophomore to being a real weapon right now with the ball in his hands in incredible. 5 rushing TD's in a playoff game is big time no matter who you are playing. 

Running the QB gives you an extra number to account for and he's bigger than most high school DE's and is tough to bring down. I think that's probably their best offense moving forward.

If we end up beating FD or BG, it's going to be he's running it 20+ times and we're getting first downs and controlling the clock and then we're able to get a turnover or 2 on defense to capitalize on short fields. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I only saw him as a freshman, and he was definitely a stud. If memory serves he was injured most of last year?

That’s correct. But we are missing the type of player that he was supposed to be. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 7:35 AM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

The injury bug has been meddlesome all season as well. We lost receivers to it like Roedig and Shields, linemen and ends like Wilson, and Nally has been fighting against an injury. Almost all of those guys play both ways too. That's been an Achilles heel with the way this team runs...if you lose an offensive starter, you're losing a defensive starter too. "Them's the ropes." We've been fortunate to have underclassmen making meaningful differences, and it's undeniable after the last two games that having Mason come eligible for the playoffs is a big difference in the speed department.

It has been one of those years with injuries. The coaches have done a nice job plugging kids into positions to have success. Everybody says "next man up", but it does impact the level of play when kids are in positions they haven't played much before or are playing varsity a year earlier than they might have been. The silver lining is those players are getting that varsity play now and will have experience heading into next season. 

• Like 3

On 11/28/2020 at 8:02 AM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Jacob is our overall top rusher for the season, yes, but he has only been the leading rusher in 3 games this season. I would agree that I'd like to see less reliance on the draw play, but I guess, hey, whatever gets the job done.

Nally is the only running back we had return this year with meaningful playing time on the varsity level, and he's been slowed by an injury the last few weeks. Reid Hummel is a junior, and is a speedster when he has room to get a head of steam, but he needs to work in being shifty and elusive. Brayden Collins is also a junior, and is a nice running back...he goes hard and runs hard. Our offensive line is where we've struggled as much or more than we have at running back. In addition to several new players starting (I believe Luke Stegman had basically played exclusively at linebacker until he was tapped as a starting O-lineman this year as well), there has been some shuffling due to injuries.

Geisler is a nice and fast running back, and shifty too, but I think he still needs time to learn the playbook as a mid-season freshman transfer, in addition to being the size of a freshman. And I can only speak from what I've seen on film, but Mason, to me, looks more built like a wide receiver and defensive back, and we desperately need those right now because of injuries.

I think your mostly correct. The offensive line has been the only constant all year.  Line play seems pretty solid as it shows with the run game.  What’s in question is the pass game.  Eddie’s offense is designed to throw the ball and he is the best at having a balanced offense.  When your QB runs for almost as many yards in passing that’s what needs tightened up.  QB needs to feel confident the WR’s are running routes and catching balls.  Will be tough to win state without a balanced offensive and putting up receiving yards. If anyone can fix it over night it will be that staff.