Official KHSAA RPI Rankings (11/7)

26 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

How does Beechwood drop from #2 to #4 without playing and none of the other top 9 schools in 2A playing? What am I missing here? 

The only top 10 school that played in 2A was Shelby Valley and they beat a very average 3A Fleming County. That shouldn't negatively impact.

I did notice Ryle, a 6A school Beechwood pounded, won last night easily over Conner, to finish 6-3. They also are currently #8 in 6A RPI. That shouldn't negatively impact.  

2A Strength of Schedule Rankings - 1. LCA. 2. Beechwood. 8. West Carter. 15. Mayfield.

If this current RPI ranking holds, that is an absolutely brutal beat to the Tigers. Wow. 

The opponents West Carter has on their schedule that played this week went 3-0. Beechwoods opponents went 1-2 I believe. That dropped Beechwood OWP and raised WC’s OWP. That is the only thing I can figure. I was shocked WC jumped up to 2nd. 

As it currently stands, if the tops seeds advance to round 3, then in the East LCA would host the 4th highest remaining RPI and Beechwood would travel to West Carter. If Somerset beats LCA and the other top seeds win then WC will host the lowest remaining seed and Beechwood would host Somerset in round 3.

9 minutes ago, Pacman69 said:

The opponents West Carter has on their schedule that played this week went 3-0. Beechwoods opponents went 1-2 I believe. That dropped Beechwood OWP and raised WC’s OWP. That is the only thing I can figure. I was shocked WC jumped up to 2nd. 

I see that, but my lord, Beechwood's resume just seems to much better than West Carter's and Mayfield's. 

Even if you look at last night, WCHS opponents had three wins yes..but, only one, Russell is even close to being an above average team and Russell beat a below average 1A Raceland team. 

Beechwood's opponent with a win was Ryle, ranked #8 in 6A, over a Conner team that crushed Boone and would likely beat Russell and Shelby Valley. 

Just doesn't make any sense to me. 

4 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

I see that, but my lord, Beechwood's resume just seems to much better than West Carter's and Mayfield's. 

Even if you look at last night, WCHS opponents had three wins yes..but, only one, Russell is even close to being an above average team and Russell beat a below average 1A Raceland team. 

Beechwood's opponent with a win was Ryle, ranked #8 in 6A, over a Conner team that crushed Boone and would likely beat Russell and Shelby Valley. 

Just doesn't make any sense to me. 

I never said the system was correct. That’s just how it works. I’m not an RPI fan personally either. I also agree that if you’re going off strength of schedule Beechwood would be above West Carter and Mayfield. 

5 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

As it currently stands, if the tops seeds advance to round 3, then in the East LCA would host the 4th highest remaining RPI and Beechwood would travel to West Carter. If Somerset beats LCA and the other top seeds win then WC will host the lowest remaining seed and Beechwood would host Somerset in round 3.

Round 3 would look like this if these 4 teams made it to round 3

District 5 - Walton #19 RPI

District 6 - Beechwood #4 

District 7 - Middlesboro #8 or Breathitt #12

District 8 - West Carter #2

Walton at West Carter

Breathitt Co./Middlesboro at Beechwood 

Assuming West Carter and Beechwood win, and LCA/Somerset, and Mayfield advance from the other side. 

Round 4 would look like - 

*LCA advances - Beechwood at LCA & Mayfield at West Carter

*Somerset advances - Somerset at West Carter & Beechwood at Mayfield

Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

I've said all along 1 of 3 teams is going to win the 2A title, LCA, Somerset or Beechwood. But West Carter and Mayfield both got RPI gifts and will gladly take them. Mayfield is extremely tough to beat at War Memorial, so I'm pulling for a Somerset victory but If LCA was to win, I think Mayfield can handle West Carter at their place.

3 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

Round 3 would look like this if these 4 teams made it to round 3

District 5 - Walton #19 RPI

District 6 - Beechwood #4 

District 7 - Middlesboro #8 or Breathitt #12

District 8 - West Carter #2

Walton at West Carter

Breathitt Co./Middlesboro at Beechwood 

Assuming West Carter and Beechwood win, and LCA/Somerset, and Mayfield advance from the other side. 

Round 4 would look like - 

*LCA advances - Beechwood at LCA & Mayfield at West Carter

*Somerset advances - Somerset at West Carter & Beechwood at Mayfield

Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

This is the exact way I understand it all. I don’t see how else it would work.

3 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

I've said all along 1 of 3 teams is going to win the 2A title, LCA, Somerset or Beechwood. But West Carter and Mayfield both got RPI gifts and will gladly take them. Mayfield is extremely tough to beat at War Memorial, so I'm pulling for a Somerset victory but If LCA was to win, I think Mayfield can handle West Carter at their place.

I agree it will be one of those three teams. I would favor Mayfield slightly at West Carter if that’s the semifinals matchup.

11 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

Not having seen West Carter but taking a educated guess, I would say they are not even close to being the 1st or 2nd best team in 2A and I thought that's what the RPI was trying to identify.

West Carter isn’t the 2nd best team in 2A and Mayfield isn’t the 3rd best team. I don’t think the RPI is the best system but it’s what we have to go by for the time being. 

Did they change the cross bracketing because of Covid? District 4 which includes Somerset and LCA was moved to the East this year and district 5 that includes Walton was moved to the West. Once the first 2 rounds are completed then 1-4 in the East play each other and 1-4 in the West play each other. The final four is then seeded 1-4 regardless of East or West alignment with 1 hosting 4 and 2 hosting 3.

If chalk wins out, then Beechwood is at West Carter in Rd 3 and at Mayfield in Rd 4. 

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty certain this is correct.

38 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

Did they change the cross bracketing because of Covid? District 4 which includes Somerset and LCA was moved to the East this year and district 5 that includes Walton was moved to the West. Once the first 2 rounds are completed then 1-4 in the East play each other and 1-4 in the West play each other. The final four is then seeded 1-4 regardless of East or West alignment with 1 hosting 4 and 2 hosting 3.

If chalk wins out, then Beechwood is at West Carter in Rd 3 and at Mayfield in Rd 4. 

That’s how I thought it worked too.  Did they change it this year?

1 hour ago, gbballfan21 said:

Are you aware that Kentucky has been using the RPI system since last year? Cross bracketing was last used in the 2018 season.

25 minutes ago, Pacman69 said:

Are you aware that Kentucky has been using the RPI system since last year? Cross bracketing was last used in the 2018 season.

I wasn’t aware that they eliminated the cross bracketing once the RPI started. I hope I am wrong because that would be a benefit to Beechwood if they did not have LCA or Somerset in the East.