Official KHSAA RPI Rankings (11/7)

4 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

I wasn’t aware that they eliminated the cross bracketing once the RPI started. I hope I am wrong because that would be a benefit to Beechwood if they did not have LCA or Somerset in the East.

Having the RPI and Cross Bracket both wouldn’t make sense. Unless there is an upset or covid forfeits, Beechwood will host Breathitt County round 3. 

5 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

I wasn’t aware that they eliminated the cross bracketing once the RPI started. I hope I am wrong because that would be a benefit to Beechwood if they did not have LCA or Somerset in the East.

Easiest way to think about it is this...

Round 3 - District 1-4 play each other & District 5-8 play each other. 

Round 4 - You'll have 4 teams left in 2A. #1 remaining seed hosts #4 and #2 hosts #3

LCA/Somerset/Mayfield on opposite side of Beechwood/WCHS. They dont see each other until round 4. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

I wouldn't count out Middlesboro beating Breathitt in round 2. 

3 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

Easiest way to think about it is this...

Round 3 - District 1-4 play each other & District 5-8 play each other. 

Round 4 - You'll have 4 teams left in 2A. #1 remaining seed hosts #4 and #2 hosts #3

LCA/Somerset/Mayfield on opposite side of Beechwood/WCHS. They dont see each other until round 4. 

I understand how the seeding works, I was under the assumption that District 4 and District 5 flipped spots this year, with 4 moving to the East and 5 moving to the West. Apparently that has been eliminated if I am wrong.

Again, I hope this is the case.

Just now, gbballfan21 said:

I understand how the seeding works, I was under the assumption that District 4 and District 5 flipped spots this year, with 4 moving to the East and 5 moving to the West. Apparently that has been eliminated if I am wrong.

Again, I hope this is the case.

No flip was made. District 5 still playing with 6, 7, and 8 in Round 3

• Like 1

Not even going to try and wrap my head around who plays who with RPI in the playoffs. I will just watch and enjoy if we get that far. Hoping my Tigers from Ft. Mitchell get as smooth of a road as possible, but I’ll take any football we can get. I just can’t for the life of me understand RPI! Let the kids play is all I’ll say! 

First of all, strength of schedule has very little to do with RPI. If you are a 2A team and get wins over 4 winless 6A teams, you would probably have the best RPI in the state. You get a bonus for beating upper class teams and their record is not a factor. So getting wins over upper class teams is much more important than strength of schedule.

I think if you are a Beechwood fan, this is the year you want to play Mayfield. It would be one of the few times in the last 20 years that Beechwood would be favored to win. 

51 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

First of all, strength of schedule has very little to do with RPI. If you are a 2A team and get wins over 4 winless 6A teams, you would probably have the best RPI in the state. You get a bonus for beating upper class teams and their record is not a factor. So getting wins over upper class teams is much more important than strength of schedule.

I think if you are a Beechwood fan, this is the year you want to play Mayfield. It would be one of the few times in the last 20 years that Beechwood would be favored to win. 

How is their record not a factor?

Beechwood would certainly be favored over Mayfield.

14 minutes ago, Pacman69 said:

How is their record not a factor?

Beechwood would certainly be favored over Mayfield.

Record is not a factor in RPI winning percentage. If a team wins a game, they multiply 1 by the same game value factor if the team they beat is 0-10 or if the team is 10-0. Record does not matter. The game value factor is based only on what class each team plays in. Here is the factor list for the classes for football:

• 1A = 1.323
  • 2A = 1.521
  • 3A = 1.749
  • 4A = 2.011
  • 5A = 2.313
  • 6A = 2.660

For a 2A team, you always use 1.521. Then you divide the class factor of the opponent by your class factor. If the 2A team plays a 6A team, divide 2.660 by 1.521 and the game value is 1.748. If the 2A team wins, they multiply that game value by 1 and the winning percentage factor for that win is 1.748. The record of the opponent is not involved in that calculation at all. 

Here is the link to the KHSAA detailed explanation of RPI calculation:

https://khsaa.org/resources/RPI/rpiexample2018fbapb.pdf

If you lose, you get a zero in the winning percentage column.

9 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Beechwood would certainly be favored but playing at Mayfield at least gives the Cards a punchers chance.