Newport Central Catholic at Covington Holy Cross Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/18/2020 at 11:00 PM

Holy Cross is now in its 23rd season of football, and still stands as one of the "newcomers" to high school football in the state of Kentucky. In his 17 years as head coach for the Indians, the last 3 have to be among the more difficult for head coach Bruce Kozerski. After making it to the 2A semifinals in 2016, the team saw a drop from their 10-4 season to two straight years without a win, going 0-11 in 2017 & 2018, followed by a 2-9 season in 2019. But 2020 started out big for Holy Cross, with the Indians rolling up 8 touchdowns on the 1A Bellevue Tigers for a 55-6 win last Friday. Sophomore WR/DB Javier Ward returned the opening kickoff for a 72 yard Holy Cross touchdown and set the tone for the game. Holy Cross' offense also benefited greatly from field position, never starting with the ball any deeper than their own 43 yard line, and taking over inside of Bellevue's 30 yard line three times. The Indians had 242 yards total offense to the Tigers' 91 yards.

NCC had some hiccups on Saturday in their home opener, failing to convert on two-thirds of their nine 3rd downs. Their passing game also struggled to get off the ground, with QB Malaki Herndon going 4-7 for a meager 13 yards in the air. But the Breds were able to get the blocks they needed when it mattered, putting up a stout 243 yards on the ground and beating the 2A Walton-Verona Bearcats 23-7. Senior RB Jahmir Ackerson ran 16 times for 120 yards and 2 TDs, and tallied 5 solo tackles including 1 tackle-for-loss on the defensive side of things at defensive end. The New Cath defense was also very successful in shutting down the passing game on Saturday, only allowing 46 yards on 14 passing plays.

This series record stands at an all time record of 26 wins for New Cath to 3 wins for Holy Cross. Who wins the 30th edition of the Thoroughbreds vs. Indians?

Overall Series Record
1999: 45-23 Newport Central Catholic
2000: 44-0 Newport Central Catholic
2001: 37-8 Newport Central Catholic
2002: 21-6 Newport Central Catholic
2003: 44-21 Newport Central Catholic
2003: 42-20 Newport Cenrtal Catholic *
2004: 41-7 Newport Central Catholic
2005: 48-21 Newport Central Catholic
2006: 10-7 Holy Cross
2006: 41-7 Newport Central Catholic *
2007: 14-0 Newport Central Catholic
2007: 28-0 Newport Central Catholic *
2008: 23-7 Newport Central Catholic
2009: 38-21 Newport Central Catholic
2010: 28-14 Newport Central Catholic
2010: 56-21 Newport Central Catholic *
2011: 31-14 Newport Central Catholic
2011: 24-21 Holy Cross *
2012: 49-10 Newport Central Catholic
2012: 52-0 Newport Central Catholic *
2013: 48-0 Newport Central Catholic
2014: 50-21 Newport Central Catholic
2015: 20-13 Newport Central Catholic
2015: 46-15 Newport Central Catholic *
2016: 21-0 Newport Central Catholic
2016: 26-21 Holy Cross *
2017: 49-0 Newport Central Catholic
2018: 38-6 Newport Central Catholic
2019: 50-14 Newport Central Catholic

• Thanks 2

Ya gotta believe it comes down to the ability of Holy Cross to stop the run.  This team, just by looking at the scores, looked like they play "defense optional" last season.  If the Breds are able to run the ball the way they did last week, tough to see them not controlling the clock and winning the game going away.

On the other hand, if the Indians offense can use the playmakers at their disposal like they did last week, they seem to be able to attack more aggressively and could put up big points.  The offense is complex to run, difficult to defend if the plays are run correctly.

Part of Holy Cross' problem the past two years is that they have been very young, I believe.  I do wonder how much playing time their younger kids get.  Imperative to get the talent on the field early at a school the size of Holy Cross.

Is this game being broadcast anywhere?

-CardinalsFan

It should be streamed on Instagram @holycrosshighschoolcov

After two years of 3-5 seniors on the roster, the starting lineup is junior/senior heavy.  There are a handful of sophomores and freshman that get meaningful playing time.  Many of the upper classman that are playing have been starting for the last 3-4 years.  

27 minutes ago, CardinalsFan said:

Ya gotta believe it comes down to the ability of Holy Cross to stop the run.  This team, just by looking at the scores, looked like they play "defense optional" last season.  If the Breds are able to run the ball the way they did last week, tough to see them not controlling the clock and winning the game going away.

On the other hand, if the Indians offense can use the playmakers at their disposal like they did last week, they seem to be able to attack more aggressively and could put up big points.  The offense is complex to run, difficult to defend if the plays are run correctly.

Part of Holy Cross' problem the past two years is that they have been very young, I believe.  I do wonder how much playing time their younger kids get.  Imperative to get the talent on the field early at a school the size of Holy Cross.

Is this game being broadcast anywhere?

-CardinalsFan

@nkypete has been posting live-stats for the games, and Holy Cross live-streamed the Bellevue game on Instagram, as well as their soccer game tonight. Instagram live doesn't allow the game to be replayed, but you can at least follow while it's being played.

I haven't heard if there is any broadcast otherwise.

27 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

@nkypete has been posting live-stats for the games, and Holy Cross live-streamed the Bellevue game on Instagram, as well as their soccer game tonight. Instagram live doesn't allow the game to be replayed, but you can at least follow while it's being played.

I haven't heard if there is any broadcast otherwise.

Absolutely, I will be providing live stats, scoring, and play-by-play at the following link.  Create a split screen of the stats with the live video stream.

https://stats.digitalscout.com/football/boys/game/12567663

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, nkypete said:

Absolutely, I will be providing live stats, scoring, and play-by-play at the following link.  Create a split screen of the stats with the live video stream.

https://stats.digitalscout.com/football/boys/game/12567663

So you do a live video broadcast of the game with live stats?  And it's just you?  Do you have a broadcast team with color commentary as well?  How many cameras do you use?

Sounds great...can't think of any other school in NKY that provides that level of live coverage, am I right?

-CardinalsFan

9 hours ago, CardinalsFan said:

So you do a live video broadcast of the game with live stats?  And it's just you?  Do you have a broadcast team with color commentary as well?  How many cameras do you use?

Sounds great...can't think of any other school in NKY that provides that level of live coverage, am I right?

-CardinalsFan

I've been doing live stats for years for the HC team (with a couple spotters).  The live stream is separate on Instagram.  Probably done by a parent.  I don't know much about it, but I bet it is simply one view of the field.  I was merely suggesting opening two windows in your Internet browser and putting the stat and live stream windows side-by-side.  In regards to the live stats themselves, NCC, for example, uses the same service (Digital Scout) as I do for HC.

• Thanks 1

NCC’s passing game will probably not get to the level of last season. But I do expect it to pick up as the season continues, Herndon has a strong arm, also still a possibility Buddy Atkins the transfer from Bellevue will suit up for NCC this year. With  a limited off season I think the passing game is going to be a work in progress. Good news is the running game with Ackerson & Runyon should help carry them through the first half of the season. 

NCC’s defense is athletic at all positions, they will have a lot to prove this week against McClendon at WR for HC. Since they didn’t have to worry about much of a passing game last week. I’ll take NCC by a 2-3 possessions similar to their score against Walton last week, led by another Big week in the running game. 

• Like 1