College Football Players Bargaining?

MBWC41

2 hours ago, MBWC41 said:

I’m all for the athletes getting paid in any way they can. I do think that revenue sharing would be the most equal way to go about it.

Revenue sharing and let them go ahead and sign with an agent after they’ve signed with a school.

What's weird, and hypocritical, is the NCAA has different rules regarding agents for basketball and football compared to baseball and hockey. To me, the simplest thing would be to have the same rule cover all athletes. The cynical side of me believes that basketball and football are the sacred financial cow and providing rights to those players would perhaps limit the money coming into school and NCAA coffers.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2020 at 11:30 AM, MBWC41 said:

I’m all for the athletes getting paid in any way they can. I do think that revenue sharing would be the most equal way to go about it.

Revenue sharing and let them go ahead and sign with an agent after they’ve signed with a school.

If they become “employees” getting paid, that carries more weight than just being a student-athlete.

On 8/4/2020 at 8:23 AM, rjs4470 said:

I would disagree. Yes you get some nice perks. But it also comes with a lot of pressure, extra work, and demands that are way beyond what the average student has to deal with.

You mean the average student that works 1 or 2 jobs on the side, has to pay for their own healthcare, housing, books, food, travel, tuition and incidentals? The ones that leave school, with in most cases a crushing student loan debt? The ones that have to prepare their own meals instead of having every meal catered and waiting for them at their leisure? The ones that worked their guts out to get accepted to the school, while a kid that barely has a C average has the red carpet rolled out for them?

Yeah, average students have it so easy...

• Like 1

If anything, I'd like to see a power 5 licensing deal for the athletes at those schools. All the money goes into one pot and is then divided amongst players evenly. 

The model of letting each player cut his own deal is ripe for corruption. Coaches will have to promise recruits X amount of endorsements because if he doesn't the next school will. Then you will have athletic departments basically having to beg local businesses for endorsement money to recruit every player they sign. Allowing individual endorsement deals will open the door wider than ever for boosters. 

Does anyone want to go back to the UCLA Glory Days, where they dominated by buying the best players in the country?

56 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

You mean the average student that works 1 or 2 jobs on the side, has to pay for their own healthcare, housing, books, food, travel, tuition and incidentals? The ones that leave school, with in most cases a crushing student loan debt? The ones that have to prepare their own meals instead of having every meal catered and waiting for them at their leisure? The ones that worked their guts out to get accepted to the school, while a kid that barely has a C average has the red carpet rolled out for them?

Yeah, average students have it so easy...

Most college athletes are just normal students, dealing with all the issues you mention, with sports thrown on top of it.  

1 minute ago, rjs4470 said:

Most college athletes are just normal students, dealing with all the issues you mention, with sports thrown on top of it.  

Not the ones looking to get "paid", those are the top level D1 Basketball and Football players. They have it pretty sweet...compared to normal students.

52 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

If anything, I'd like to see a power 5 licensing deal for the athletes at those schools. All the money goes into one pot and is then divided amongst players evenly. 

The model of letting each player cut his own deal is ripe for corruption. Coaches will have to promise recruits X amount of endorsements because if he doesn't the next school will. Then you will have athletic departments basically having to beg local businesses for endorsement money to recruit every player they sign. Allowing individual endorsement deals will open the door wider than ever for boosters. 

Does anyone want to go back to the UCLA Glory Days, where they dominated by buying the best players in the country?

I can agree with this. 

In a perfect world, the football players would negotiate a percentage of the revenue they generate to be split equally amongst team members.

I’d also like to see athletes be allowed to sign with a certified agent at any time they chose.

Additionally, athletes should be allowed to take out loans against their future earnings with accredited institutions. No loan sharks, no boosters. 

If a bank is willing to loan a kid a half a million dollars with 10% interest, or if an agent is willing to give a signing bonus to secure a future partnership, I don’t see how that is any of the NCAAs business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Not the ones looking to get "paid", those are the top level D1 Basketball and Football players. They have it pretty sweet...compared to normal students.

There’s a study out there that said Justin Fields would be worth 1.3 million if he could make money off his likeness this year.  Lawrence was just below him.

1 minute ago, John Anthony said:

There’s a study out there that said Justin Fields would be worth 1.3 million if he could make money off his likeness this year.  Lawrence was just below him.

It's a bit of a two way street though.  Without UGA or Ohio St., how many people would even know who he is?

Unless schools such as the Power 5 members go their own way, I think schools having to pay players is going to be very bad for the majority of student athletes and might be the death of most college sports.  NIL is a bit of a different issue as the money would not have to come from the schools.  

I went to the University of Evansville and about half of my fraternity brothers were on the football team and we had several swimmers as well.  Those guys played because they loved the game and were not concerned with the extra demands of going to practice, etc.  In reality most were likely desperate to stay in the game as long as they could.  They played Div II non-scholarship so there was zero reason to participate expect for the love of the game.  Some of those guys went on to be doctors, lawyers, once is a county sheriff, and several are now teaching and coaching at the high school level. 

They knew that college was the end of the road as far as their playing career.  Their was one exception who manged to get about 4 years with the NFL and a couple more in the CFL, but he was a bit of an exception as he started college playing baseball for a Big 10 school, but left after one year to play football at UE.  He was a two time All American and they transferred to another Big 10 school to play football after which he was a 4th round draft pick.  Unfortunately his profession career was injury plagued.  

Evansville no longer has a football team as they just couldn't afford to maintain a football program and comply with Title IX.  Given that scenario, they certainly couldn't have been able to pay any of those players.  

15 hours ago, Irish Cat said:

It's a bit of a two way street though.  Without UGA or Ohio St., how many people would even know who he is?

Unless schools such as the Power 5 members go their own way, I think schools having to pay players is going to be very bad for the majority of student athletes and might be the death of most college sports.  NIL is a bit of a different issue as the money would not have to come from the schools.  

I went to the University of Evansville and about half of my fraternity brothers were on the football team and we had several swimmers as well.  Those guys played because they loved the game and were not concerned with the extra demands of going to practice, etc.  In reality most were likely desperate to stay in the game as long as they could.  They played Div II non-scholarship so there was zero reason to participate expect for the love of the game.  Some of those guys went on to be doctors, lawyers, once is a county sheriff, and several are now teaching and coaching at the high school level. 

They knew that college was the end of the road as far as their playing career.  Their was one exception who manged to get about 4 years with the NFL and a couple more in the CFL, but he was a bit of an exception as he started college playing baseball for a Big 10 school, but left after one year to play football at UE.  He was a two time All American and they transferred to another Big 10 school to play football after which he was a 4th round draft pick.  Unfortunately his profession career was injury plagued.  

Evansville no longer has a football team as they just couldn't afford to maintain a football program and comply with Title IX.  Given that scenario, they certainly couldn't have been able to pay any of those players.  

This study was off of likeness only.  Commercials, endorsements, etc.  Not NCAA revenue sharing.