MBWC41

College Football Players Bargaining?

It sounds like the PAC 12 football player’s are done with playing for peanuts...

I’ve stated my opinion multiple times on the matter. I’m 100% in favor of players being compensated for their time.

How about the rest of you ? Yay or neigh ? 

Yay. It all starts with an alternative to the NCAA. 

I do believe players should be able to make money off their image and likeness. However, I am not sure if they should also get a 50/50 split, which I believe is what the PAC 12 players asked for. At some point there still needs to be a difference between being a student athlete and getting paid like an employee. 

If colleges, especially the power five colleges start paying players or given players more of the revenue. Then how long is it before we start saying high school athletes should be paid. Especially players at the big high schools, that draw huge crowds to games. I mean if you look at the big high schools in KY and Ohio. Or more specially down south like in Texas. High school football would bring in a lot of money to some of these schools. Should high school athletes also get paid then? 

Players should be able to make money off their image and likeness, and maybe a small stipend to help live on. However, I do think it should stop at that, because there still should be some line between being a student athlete, and an actual employee. College should still be more like being an intern for a big company. Working hard Trying to prove yourself, so you do eventually get paid good money to do the job. 

• Like 2

Colleges make billions off of high profile college athletes, and overvalue the education they give for “free.”  Some may even be using some federal Education funds to prop up these scholarships.  
Players are being fleeced as well as Americans.

Time to compensate players it’s obvious they can’t operate without these kids paying the bills. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, futurecoach said:

I do believe players should be able to make money off their image and likeness. However, I am not sure if they should also get a 50/50 split, which I believe is what the PAC 12 players asked for. At some point there still needs to be a difference between being a student athlete and getting paid like an employee. 

If colleges, especially the power five colleges start paying players or given players more of the revenue. Then how long is it before we start saying high school athletes should be paid. Especially players at the big high schools, that draw huge crowds to games. I mean if you look at the big high schools in KY and Ohio. Or more specially down south like in Texas. High school football would bring in a lot of money to some of these schools. Should high school athletes also get paid then? 

Players should be able to make money off their image and likeness, and maybe a small stipend to help live on. However, I do think it should stop at that, because there still should be some line between being a student athlete, and an actual employee. College should still be more like being an intern for a big company. Working hard Trying to prove yourself, so you do eventually get paid good money to do the job

Many internships, especially the good ones are now paid, and have been for quite some time.

And to say we shouldn't pay college players because "we'll eventually have to pay high school players" is a huge stretch.  High School and college sports aren't even close to being comparable in scope, visibility, revenue or structure. 

10 hours ago, Kentucky Windage said:

Nay, college level athletes are pampered enough. 

I would disagree. Yes you get some nice perks. But it also comes with a lot of pressure, extra work, and demands that are way beyond what the average student has to deal with.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kentucky Windage said:

Nay, college level athletes are pampered enough. 

This couldn't be further from the truth. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Players should be able to make money off their image and likeness, and maybe a small stipend to help live on. However, I do think it should stop at that, because there still should be some line between being a student athlete, and an actual employee. College should still be more like being an intern for a big company. Working hard Trying to prove yourself, so you do eventually get paid good money to do the job. 

I can’t think of many companies who rely solely on interns to remain profitable...

• Like 2

This might work out for a few of the elite players and teams, but the overwhelming majority of college athletes would be hurt by this model as they would find their opportunity to play sports and the associated scholarships eliminated.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

Many internships, especially the good ones are now paid, and have been for quite some time.

And to say we shouldn't pay college players because "we'll eventually have to pay high school players" is a huge stretch.  High School and college sports aren't even close to being comparable in scope, visibility, revenue or structure. 

That is the thing though, what is the difference. High school athletes are also then student athletes. Who are putting in many hours outside the school day. Then specifically when it comes to revenue, maybe not as huge in KY. However, the revenue High School brings in for big schools in other states like in Ohio, Texas, Georgia, California, etc does bring a lot of money in. Shoot in some of those states they have coaches who literally only have to coach for a living because of how much they get paid, because their programs bring in so much money. Most schools even in high school use the revenue that football brings in to pay for a lot of the other athletics. So if that is the case, shouldn’t the high school athletes be getting paid at least a little bit? If that is the line of thinking people are using. 

As I said I do think college athletes should be able to make money off their image and likeness. Should even be able to do endorsements. Someone like Trevor Lawrence should be able to make a money off endorsements and his name, while in college, since he has to stay so many years. 

With that said the PAC 12 players asking for a 50/50 revenue split shouldn’t happen. There still needs to be some line between student athlete and basically an employee. If not then, there is no reason to also not pay high school athletes some too, if they are at a school where football does bring in good revenue. 

Gotta let them make money off likeness.  That, with the scholly and stipend is a fair deal.

• Like 1

So does everyone get paid the same? Does the second team punter at OSU get the same money as Justin Fields? Will players be allowed an agent or representative to "negotiate" their deal? Will athletic departments be forced to hire people to monitor the payment, etc.? If they want to pay athletes fine. BIG can of worms. I think this will lead to more schools dropping programs and the Power 5 leaving the NCAA.

17 hours ago, John Anthony said:

Gotta let them make money off likeness.  That, with the scholly and stipend is a fair deal.

I’m all for the athletes getting paid in any way they can. I do think that revenue sharing would be the most equal way to go about it.

Revenue sharing and let them go ahead and sign with an agent after they’ve signed with a school.