Income from YouTube videos

Bluto

Do any of you have personal experience receiving income from YouTube videos? I know that we have all heard the fantastic stories of making great money on YouTube, but I wonder how realistic those stories are. I would like to know what the real numbers are, to assess whether the effort is worth the payoff.

Please feel free to send me a personal message if you would prefer.  But I would really like your insight if you have had personal experience with this (not just what someone heard from a friend's best friend's great cousin!!).

Thanks so much.

I have a cousin who is dipping his toes in the water with a collectible toys channel.  I think it’s like anything else.  You can’t just throw something together.  You have to provide legit content, that is well produced to make money.  You can’t just throw something together and expect to earn anything.

• Thanks 1

I know nothing about the YouTube payouts but if its anything like tiktok there is money to be made. Our sons friend moved from Russell to L.A. right out of high school from tiktok money, he has a manager and such. His manager did tell him to move his "fans" to other platforms though because tiktok will likely be shut down here. 

• Thanks 1

To make a lot of money, you have to provide original content that generates a bunch of views.  Something like $5 for every 1,000 video views, and that's on the generous side. 

That's not from personal experience, but I have heard others discussing it.

• Thanks 1

You can also "monetize" FB videos.  They have to be long enough to have mid-view ad. 

One of the best of those that folks here would like is the Holderness Family.   However, I think both parents have TV background and are video/music talented.  But they seem to do pretty good for just videoing their life - with help from neighbors and others. 

https://www.facebook.com/TheHoldernessfamily/

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

To make a lot of money, you have to provide original content that generates a bunch of views.  Something like $5 for every 1,000 video views, and that's on the generous side. 

That's not from personal experience, but I have heard others discussing it.

I think that is ultra generous.  I think the real number is more like $1 for every 1000 views.

In short Bluto, I think you have to look at it as a hobby only, be willing to put several hours a week into it for several years, and then even if you are somewhat successful you have to cross your fingers that you do not get de-platformed for whatever reason. 

• Thanks 2

There are several different types of people that can make money from YouTube or other social media platforms. 1) Children. They aren’t working. Still living under mom and dads roof. Lots of free time. A lot of these kids are really “California Teens.” I don’t understand their world. I don’t find their content entertaining and quite honestly California teens are scary. 2) You have to have a unique hobby that people find interesting. It doesn’t have to be interesting to everyone, but it has to be towards your target audience. You aren’t going to make money from it until years down the road. So it has to start off as a true hobby. 3) You have to have a career that you can showcase your knowledge to others. The best example of this is probably golf. Rick Shiels is a great example. For those that don’t know, he’s a golf instructor in the UK. He started off just doing club reviews and instructional videos on YouTube to build on his day job of instructing clients in person. He has built a huge following based on his great content. He does a great job of engagement with viewers and has fun challenges and stuff but he built his channel based on the knowledge he had from his career and gives it to others. Now he makes quite a bit of money from YouTube. Has a sponsorship with Nike. But it was years and years of daily video content that brought him this life. 

If you fit one of these categories, yeah you can definitely make significant money long term. 

• Thanks 1

Gang, this is EXACTLY the type of "reality check" that I'm looking for. As I said, I don't want to embark on something without having realistic expectations. I still want to find out more exact parameters for content, quotes, fair use, etc. But the basic financial potential was my first question.

The figure I had heard directly from a youtube blogger was $1,250 per million views. I asked you guys because you may be aware of different variables, and I value GREATLY your collective wisdom.

Blessings to all.
@rjs4470 @JDEaston @Randy Parker @Bluegrasscard @theguru @TheDeuce @GrantNKY

• Like 3