Coronavirus/2020 Memes

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

There were no new viruses from 1989-2019? That is the most amazing thing I see in this chart. Thirty years and no new viruses. Amazing. In fact, I would say unbelievable.

Not sure why this is viewed as exhaustive list.  Its not.  Just check the Time Magazine covers...

SameFearYear.jpeg.cbc57144f4fd20758a6164c017f8c646.jpeg

Of course, vaccines were tried for these.  But the supposed epidemics disappeared naturally - without any help. 

Sample: 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26098721/

11 hours ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Of course, vaccines were tried for these.  But the supposed epidemics disappeared naturally - without any help. 

Well, that's not necessarily true. Using H1N1 as an example, we already had treatments for that. 

17 hours ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Or just skipped the problematic animal trials and the long term studies and ignored VAERS. 

I think the point @TheDeuce was making is you are setting up some kind of equivalency - I assume from a social media post - between medicine at the onset of the first discovery of a coronavirus (technically the first was discovered in 1965, though we most associate it with the SARS outbreak in 2002, not 2019) with the first onset of diseases discovered 120 years ago, and the duration it took to develop a vaccine. It's like comparing the Pony Express to gmail and questioning why messages can now be delivered so much faster. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bugatti said:

I think the point @TheDeuce was making is you are setting up some kind of equivalency - I assume from a social media post - between medicine at the onset of the first discovery of a coronavirus (technically the first was discovered in 1965, though we most associate it with the SARS outbreak in 2002, not 2019) with the first onset of diseases discovered 120 years ago, and the duration it took to develop a vaccine. It's like comparing the Pony Express to gmail and questioning why messages can now be delivered so much faster. 

I have not seen how Moore's Law applies to vaccines.   But with this logic of improved technology one could make an argument babies should only need 6 months from conception to birth. 

Bill Gates funds a lot of medical stuff.  But not sure the lessons learned from Windows apply to medicine. 

Gatesvirusrepeat.jpg.38d7a45ff720142237e6b61348f11598.jpg