NBA Logo idea

For years people have said that the NBA logo no longer represented today's game. It would be hard for anyone to disagree.

I think a change most people could get onboard with would be to change it maybe every 10 years. Only retired players would be considered and only players in the top 1% would be considered. 2020 would obviously be this...

Screenshot_20200130-092515_Instagram.jpg

2030 would in all likelihood be Lebron then who knows after that. If at then end of a decade there was no obvious choice, they go back and use a legend like maybe Kareem or Magic for that decade.

While I understand the sentiment behind it, I don't know that I'm in favor of it. It all sounds good (changing it every decade), but you never will know what could happen. Say you have it be Kobe for the 20's, with the plan for Lebron in the 30's...but in 2024, MJ dies in a freak way. People are going to be clamoring for him to be the next one. Then five years later, Kareem dies, and people want the skyhook to be part of the logo. Now what? Who's got it...MJ, Lebron or Kareem?

As much as some people may want the logo to be more "current"...I don't see people going out and buying hats or jerseys just based upon the league's logo. It's totally about the player you're a fan of and what team they're on. Kobe's jerseys would still be as popular regardless of who represents the logo, or even if there's a logo on it in the first place. Just my opinion.

While I understand the sentiment behind it, I don't know that I'm in favor of it. It all sounds good (changing it every decade), but you never will know what could happen. Say you have it be Kobe for the 20's, with the plan for Lebron in the 30's...but in 2024, MJ dies in a freak way. People are going to be clamoring for him to be the next one. Then five years later, Kareem dies, and people want the skyhook to be part of the logo. Now what? Who's got it...MJ, Lebron or Kareem?

As much as some people may want the logo to be more "current"...I don't see people going out and buying hats or jerseys just based upon the league's logo. It's totally about the player you're a fan of and what team they're on. Kobe's jerseys would still be as popular regardless of who represents the logo, or even if there's a logo on it in the first place. Just my opinion.

Jordan Brand would never license the Jumpman logo to the NBA.:lol2:

As far as Kareem, old players die every year. You commit to the 10 year plan then in 2030 you decide between LBJ, dead MJ or dead Kareem.

If the NBA came out with a Kobe logo, it would sell like crazy on shirts and hats.

The idea behind a rotating logo each decade is interesting. I would get behind that.

I know many are wanting to change the logo to Kobe, but a few things with that...

1) While the sudden death is terrible and I personally have cried a couple times, Kobe wasn't always the model NBA citizen during his playing career. From team and organizational feuds, Eagle, Colorado, to questionable leadership tactics, Kobe was beyond a polarizing figure. I was a fan, but I think through most of his playing days he would have had a below 50% approval rating by fans. Obviously much of that changed as his career unfolded and his image was overwhelmingly positive post-playing career. Up until Sunday, I think a sizeable base didn't have a Kobe fondness. Let's be 100 about this. Had Eagle, Colorado happened today, Kobe would have most-likely underwent irreparable damage. As the dust settles, the NBA would have to answer that question if installed as the new logo.

2) To defend Jerry West here, most people don't realize how much of a baller that dude was. We are not talking some NBA journeyman, but he is ever bit worthy of being in the debate for "greatest Laker ever" for his on court play (many probably don't realize he averaged two points more a game than Kobe for his career) but also his contributions post-career for the Lakers. Probably the greatest team-builder / GM in NBA history. You could argue, while his logo doesn't represent today's NBA, it is because of West teams look like they do today. Every team he has touched has been successful.

The idea behind a rotating logo each decade is interesting. I would get behind that.

I know many are wanting to change the logo to Kobe, but a few things with that...

1) While the sudden death is terrible and I personally have cried a couple times, Kobe wasn't always the model NBA citizen during his playing career. From team and organizational feuds, Eagle, Colorado, to questionable leadership tactics, Kobe was beyond a polarizing figure. I was a fan, but I think through most of his playing days he would have had a below 50% approval rating by fans. Obviously much of that changed as his career unfolded and his image was overwhelmingly positive post-playing career. Up until Sunday, I think a sizeable base didn't have a Kobe fondness. Let's be 100 about this. Had Eagle, Colorado happened today, Kobe would have most-likely underwent irreparable damage. As the dust settles, the NBA would have to answer that question if installed as the new logo.

2) To defend Jerry West here, most people don't realize how much of a baller that dude was. We are not talking some NBA journeyman, but he is ever bit worthy of being in the debate for "greatest Laker ever" for his on court play (many probably don't realize he averaged two points more a game than Kobe for his career) but also his contributions post-career for the Lakers. Probably the greatest team-builder / GM in NBA history. You could argue, while his logo doesn't represent today's NBA, it is because of West teams look like they do today. Every team he has touched has been successful.

Great points!