Finals attendance down

The Scribe

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about that. I do suspect U of L controlled the use of their own stadium. Nothing wrong with that.

From what I'm told from a senior person at the KHSAA, UL has been a true pleasure to work with over the years (I'm a UK fan so it pains me to state that) and if they had any say they would have tried to work something out with the KHSAA, but when they joined the Big East, they had to agree to host a home game that last Saturday of the year every other year. Thus there is nothing UL could do about avoiding the conflict even if they wanted to. Lets quit bashing UL and the KHSAA for something they had no control over, unless you expected UL to refuse to join the Big East because of a conflict with the state championship football game every other year, which is simply unrealistic. Other locations only work if they have artificial turf. If there are fields capable of holding 10,000-15,000 with artificial turf that are "somewhat" centrally located (and I fully appreciate that UL is not centrally located if you are driving from eastern Kentucky), lets hear them.

From what I'm told from a senior person at the KHSAA, UL has been a true pleasure to work with over the years (I'm a UK fan so it pains me to state that) and if they had any say they would have tried to work something out with the KHSAA, but when they joined the Big East, they had to agree to host a home game that last Saturday of the year every other year. Thus there is nothing UL could do about avoiding the conflict even if they wanted to. Lets quit bashing UL and the KHSAA for something they had no control over, unless you expected UL to refuse to join the Big East because of a conflict with the state championship football game every other year, which is simply unrealistic. Other locations only work if they have artificial turf. If there are fields capable of holding 10,000-15,000 with artificial turf that are "somewhat" centrally located (and I fully appreciate that UL is not centrally located if you are driving from eastern Kentucky), lets hear them.

Thanks, it's good to have that kind of info. U of L and the KHSAA should go out of their way to let people know that. It would probably head off a lot of bad publicity.

So? Is it a law that you have to play on turf for the state title?

With the driving rain that the 4A game was played in this year and the inclement weather all day Friday it would have been a mud bowl by the last game. Turf allows for the fairest game for ALL participants.

With the driving rain that the 4A game was played in this year and the inclement weather all day Friday it would have been a mud bowl by the last game. Turf allows for the fairest game for ALL participants.
Football is a game that is played in inclimate weather, in mud,in snow, in blinding rain, blazing heat or freezing cold. The Super Bowl is played on natural surface sometimes what makes you think were any better? What are we nowadays? A bunch of pansies who are afraid to get dirty? I hope not.

Football is a game that is played in inclimate weather, in mud,in snow, in blinding rain, blazing heat or freezing cold. The Super Bowl is played on natural surface sometimes what makes you think were any better? What are we nowadays? A bunch of pansies who are afraid to get dirty? I hope not.

Funny you mention that. I was a the AA game and talking to a friend of mine and he made the comment that it was hard to tell who played and who didn't. There was no dirt on the uniforms.:D

You're kidding right. When the Super Bowl is played on a natural field it is ONE GAME. How much money is spent to get that one field in perfect shape? I know for a fact that when the Super Bowl was played in Jacksonville (AlTell Stadium, get it;) ) that after the Gator Bowl the entire field was re-planted just for the Super Bowl. Why, so the field does not become a factor in deciding the game. With multiple games in a short period of time a grass field in Kentucky in December will be destroyed by the time the last game is played. I have no problem playing in poor conditions, but when there is an alernative that provides for a fair and equitible playing surface for every championship game I don't understand how anyone could argue against that. I really believe that your issues come not from the turf field rather the city the turf field is in.