Finals attendance down

The Scribe

Why is Commonwealth not suitable? Lexington is more centrally located to the rest of the state, I think having it there would raise attendance. I know alot of people who don't goto the games, because they don't enjoy going to Louisville.

grass field

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three of the four classes saw a decrease in attendance compared to last year.

1A - 4,396 (was 4,709 last year)

2A - 6,814 (was 7,726 last year)

3A - 7,379 (was 5,875 last year)

4A - 10,623 (was 21,424 last year)

Total - 29,212 (was 39,734 last year

Attendance was over 48,000 in 2003.

I think the Thursday Friday schedule hurt the most. Whats amazing is how much the attendance dropped in 4A now that there's no Louisville monopoly.

I think the Thursday Friday schedule hurt the most. Whats amazing is how much the attendance dropped in 4A now that there's no Louisville monopoly.

I have an alternate view. The attendance dropped because the matchup wasn't as intriguing. The crummy weather didn't help matters, but if Trinity and Male play in the finals, I would guess you would have at least 50% more in attendance, maybe double the crowd.

Why is Commonwealth not suitable? Lexington is more centrally located to the rest of the state, I think having it there would raise attendance. I know alot of people who don't goto the games, because they don't enjoy going to Louisville.

But they would enjoy going to Lexington? What is the main difference in the two cities?

I have an alternate view. The attendance dropped because the matchup wasn't as intriguing. The crummy weather didn't help matters, but if Trinity and Male play in the finals, I would guess you would have at least 50% more in attendance, maybe double the crowd.

How about a Covcath HHS matchup prior to the 4A game. Nah. Why would you want the two best teams playing each other in a title game??;)

Couple things ... Whoever manages the traffic for these events did a terrible job ... realistically no one managed the traffic

Traffic around PJ's ( coming and going) for last two years was at a standstill for very small number of people , especially this year... Our band got into the stadium late into the second quarter ...

I routinely attend games in the Horseshoe where traffic moves much faster for over 100,000 ....

This frustration likely leads to people staying home , it will me from now on ...

Also games during the workweek ... Can't move the venue , when the Cards are at home ... Nothing going on in Lexington or Richmond

Papa Johns was not built for multiple games, period. When U of L plays (at night, no business traffic on Floyd), traffic can be re-routed and controlled. But on Thursday afternoon this week, and all day Friday, students were coming and going (onto one of the largest parking lots for commuter parking), fans (who weren't all familiar with the smoothest way to enter the stadium) and then business traffic all came at once. Onto two small roads that have only one to two lanes each.

Hopefully, when WKU is renovated, there will exist some options for the finals.

Commonwealth is NOT an option, period. And might not be even with turf. Nothing like 4 to 6 thousand people in a 70000 seat stadium to feel just real "intimate". Would be like playing in a barn.

Horrible weather and Bad timing, really crappy that U of L controlled the KHSAA enough that they could make teams and kids travel hours to play at 11:30 am and have the marquee game be on a Thursday night.

So when U of L has a conference game scheduled with UConn, along with a nationally televised game being broadcast by one of ESPN's top crews, what is U of L supposed to do? Move it to Sunday after church services? :confused:

I came in at about 10:30-10:45 and drove straight into the stadiums overflow parking lot. All I had to do was walk thru the tunnel and across the parking lot to the stadium. I took the right at the exit and followed traffic till it came to a stand still. I then turned back around and went in the way I did last year. After you came off the exit at 265 you took and immediate left and it takes the back road to the stadium. No wait at all.

THat was nice, except for those of us who did not know to go that way. We reached the Exit to the Stadium at 10:50. We could see the stadium from the exit. We finally pulled into the stadium at 12:38. We sat in traffic the entire time! Very FRUSTRATING!!!!!! Not to mention the gas we just blew!!! They need to change something.

Horrible weather and Bad timing, really crappy that U of L controlled the KHSAA enough that they could make teams and kids travel hours to play at 11:30 am and have the marquee game be on a Thursday night.

I don't know about that. I do suspect U of L controlled the use of their own stadium. Nothing wrong with that.

So when U of L has a conference game scheduled with UConn, along with a nationally televised game being broadcast by one of ESPN's top crews, what is U of L supposed to do? Move it to Sunday after church services? :confused:

U of L knows for years in advance when the state finals will be. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to schedule around it.

I dont know how much of this is true, but I was told by my buddy at Male that if anyone wanted to stay for additional games other than the one they wanted to see, they had to pay for a ticket for each game.

Whether its true or not, I didnt go for this reason. Im not paying for 2 or 3 tickets. At least in old Cardinal stadium, all you needed was a ticket to watch as many games as you wanted. If you are worried about making enough money to offset the cost of using PJCS, then you had better make sure you format the games where you are going to get the absolute best match ups possible in the finals.

I agree with H, if the 4-A had featured Male/Trinity, its a different figure for attendance, regardless of weather. SO many of these finals were over before they even started based on the matchups. I dont want to slam any team that made it...but lets face it...the bottom line is money and the KHSAA lost out big this year.

Having said that...with the move to 6 classes...what are they going to do next year?? How many people are going to pay to watch the following potential match ups: (and no, these are not my predictions...but what-ifs)

1-A Paintsville vs. Beechwood

2-A Danville vs. Owensboro Catholic

3-A Spencer Co vs. Tighlman

4-A Western vs. Lexington Catholic

5-A Lincoln Co vs. Russell Co

6-A Trinity vs. Male

Sure, 6-A sounds nice...but chances are...no matter who is in the finals for 1-5 A is not going to bring out big attendance.