UC'S New Head Coach????

katbird

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe for one second that UC matched the offer. Actually Richard Skinner was talking about that this morning on the radio, and I agree with him.

I think that was more of a caveat created by both parties. Thomas knew that there was nothing he was going to be able to do to keep Dantonio from going home.

I doubt UC could have found the money to match the offer in a short period of time.

Historically, they haven't paid their coaches.

I think it was a deal struck between both parties to say they did.

Why?

Dantonio feels some allegiance to the kids at UC and to UC for giving him the opportunity to be a head coach. The kids deserve a good deal as well.

This is a show from the administration to the players and all involved that UC is being serious about football, particularly to those kids in the program and the potential recruits.

...and by saying they matched it or actually having matched it, they've set an expectation for incoming coaches.

...unless you expect to look at some unproven up and comer of a coach who would take less to get a shot at a BCS league team head coaching position and use this again as a steppingstone.

..at which point you are telling every coach that UC will never be more than a stepping stone.

UC was essentially lower than a MAC school before last year, and they matched the MSU offer this morning. Count on the next coach to be paid at a BCS level. No clue where you keep hearing the Toledo coach. I've heard his name in passing, but not as a real option at this point...

McAlister has it up on the Blog now, so I guess it is legit now?