Cat. 1 Hurricane Dorian (update)

nWo

I'm scheduled to fly from Cincinnati to Orlando on Wednesday night around 6:30pm. Any chance that Dorian will stall over Florida after making landfall or move so slowly that it affects the Orlando area enough to cause flights to be cancelled on Wednesday?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm scheduled to fly from Cincinnati to Orlando on Wednesday night around 6:30pm. Any chance that Dorian will stall over Florida after making landfall or move so slowly that it affects the Orlando area enough to cause flights to be cancelled on Wednesday?

I just took a quick glance at the GFS through Wednesday evening. It shows Dorian at the Georgia, Florida boarder. Estimated rain fall accumulations of any where between 7-14". This all depends on the track the storm takes.

Once again thank you for updates, so many Kentucky folks living in Florida now, we are planning on flying to,Ft Lauderdale next Saturday, praying everyone will stay safe and will be checking updates.
You're welcome. I have some family who maybe in the direct path of Dorian.

NOAA Hurricane Hunter Aircraft have found that Dorian is stronger and additional strengthing is expected.

At 800 PM EDT (0000 UTC), the well-defined eye of Hurricane Dorian was located near latitude 25.3 North, longitude 71.0 West. Dorian is moving toward the west-northwest near 10 mph (17 km/h). A slower

west-northwestward to westward motion should begin tonight and continue into early next week. On this track, the core of Dorian should move over the Atlantic well north of the southeastern and central Bahamas tonight and tomorrow, be near or over the northwestern Bahamas on Sunday, and be near the Florida east coast late Monday.

Data from an NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that the maximum sustained winds have increased to near 125 mph (205 km/h) with higher gusts. Dorian is a category 3 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Additional strengthening is forecast, and Dorian is anticipated to remain an extremely dangerous hurricane while it moves near the northwestern Bahamas and approaches the Florida peninsula into early next week.

234529_most_likely_toa_34.png

234529_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png

GOES16-AL052019-GEOCOLOR-1000x1000.gif?hash=94449

Nobody's screwing around with this one, here, given it will be Tuesday afternoon before it even gets close. Gas is getting hard to come by. I went to Publix to get ice and chili for the Wisconsin/USF tailgate tomorrow and all the bread and water was gone. Oddly enough, the can goods were still there for the most part. I am pretty well set, I think.

@coldweatherfan, if you guys feel threatened by storm surge, pm or text me. I will give you my address.

Thanks, we're all set.

-All the vehicles are gassed up.

-15 gallons in cans.

-We have a 50lb ice maker so we've bagged up a bunch.

-We're 12' above sea level so not much worried about surge.

-Got at least 7 cases of beer and a bunch of bourbon.

Thanks, we're all set.

-All the vehicles are gassed up.

-15 gallons in cans.

-We have a 50lb ice maker so we've bagged up a bunch.

-We're 12' above sea level so not much worried about surge.

-Got at least 7 cases of beer and a bunch of bourbon.

I like it, a man that knows what is important in life!

This is the very latest information on Dorian. Hurricane Dorian is now an extremely dangerous category 4 Hurricane. Maximum sustained winds are near 140 mph (220 km/h) with higher gusts. Dorian is a category 4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Some strengthening is possible today. Although fluctuations in intensity are possible early next week, Dorian is expected to remain a powerful hurricane during the next few days.

Saffir-Simpson-Scale.jpg

The models that the National Hurricane Center uses have shifted the track of Dorian to the east where none of them forecast Dorian to make landfall in Florida. However, one model still forecasts that Dorian to make landfall in Florida. The new track forecast for 72 to 120 hours will be moved eastward to stay east of the coast of Florida. This new track lies between the old forecast and the consensus of the models. Additional adjustments to the forecast track may be necessary later today if current modeling trends continue. It should be noted that the new forecast track does not preclude Dorian making landfall on the Florida coast as large portions of the coast remain in the track cone of uncertainty. Also, significant impacts could occur even if the center stays offshore.

090017_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png

090017_most_likely_toa_34.png

090017WPCQPF_sm.gif

Life-threatening storm surge and devastating hurricane-force winds are still possible along portions of the Florida east coast by the early to the middle part of next week, but since Dorian is forecast to slow down and turn northward near the coast, it is too soon to determine when or where the highest surge and winds will

occur. Residents should have their hurricane plan in place, know if they are in a hurricane evacuation zone, and listen to the advice given by local emergency officials.

The risk of strong winds and life-threatening storm surge is increasing along the coasts of Georgia and South Carolina during the middle of next week. Residents in those areas should continue to monitor the progress of Dorian.

GOES16-CONUS-GEOCOLOR-625x375.gif

Last night, Denis Phillips, WFTS Channel 28 in Tampa, predicted that if the storm slowed down enough, the high that was holding it south could break up and it would go north. He pretty much hit it nail on the head.

Still a dangerous storm to Florida and all of the eastern seaboard, though. Especially the Carolinas. It could still do anything. Note, the sustained winds are at 150 mph.