Cardinals at Reds (7/18 - 7/21)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of catching flak for being a Negative Nancy, Joey Votto is not performing like a major league first baseman. In the field or at the plate.

Is the constant grind of being stuck on a below-average team finally wearing him down?

Just read an article in Baseball Digest about current players and their Hall of Fame prospects. Votto was one of six players listed as knocking on the door.

If he continues his current downturn, he is not going to make it. Votto needs to hit .290 plus for this season and next to solidify his chances.

Since 2013, only 3 players have a .300 avg, .400 OBP and .500 slugging percentage - Goldschmidt, Trout and Votto.

Just read an article in Baseball Digest about current players and their Hall of Fame prospects. Votto was one of six players listed as knocking on the door.

If he continues his current downturn, he is not going to make it. Votto needs to hit .290 plus for this season and next to solidify his chances.

Since 2013, only 3 players have a .300 avg, .400 OBP and .500 slugging percentage - Goldschmidt, Trout and Votto.

And this means absolutely nothing to the 2019 Cincinnati Reds team. He is not getting close to those numbers.

A lot of people are finally agreeing with me which I started to say in April. Something in Votto has changed and he is not nearly the same player. Just look at his strikeouts and strikeouts looking. Two of those games this weekend ended with Votto at the plate.

At the risk of catching flak for being a Negative Nancy, Joey Votto is not performing like a major league first baseman. In the field or at the plate.

Is the constant grind of being stuck on a below-average team finally wearing him down?

It would me and I understand he is a paid professional that should be giving 100% if not playing through an injury but like I noted, it would get to me a little.

I think Jim Day may be getting a little disgusted with Votto. Wrapped up his game summation with (as best I recall) " Votto ending game without taking the bat off his shoulder."

We discussed this a little on here before so I did some research. If you go back and look at Votto’s career salary chart unless his production REALLY picks up this and the next 4-5 years the Reds are going to come out WWWAAAYYY behind on underpaying early and overpaying later, WWWAAAYYY behind!!!!!