Cardinals at Reds (7/18 - 7/21)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the earlier post along these lines that you refer to. I left it alone as I have grown to respect and agree with most insight you provide, but I can’t on this one.

Mac wouldn’t last a week in a big league clubhouse. I know him very well, have a long time, but he wouldn’t last in todays game.

The first time he pulled a guy mid-inning and berated then publicly after he had them run outside the outfield fence he would lose the clubhouse.

The Sweet Lou’s, Jim Leland’s and others are managers of the past. It would NEVER fly with today’s game and egos.

The days of leading with fear are in the past.

Joe Giardi can’t even find a job after 2 successful stops, and it continues to point to not being a players manager, losing the clubhouse.

None of this means David Bell is doing a good job. I think he’s much better than Price, but could do better on the little things, but to think you’d have drastic changes by inserting Mac or anyone like him is a huge stretch.

If this is true, and I agree somewhat, the manager does not make a difference no matter who it is. We have been fundamentally bad under the last three managers so that is all on the players. Votto might as well be the manager.

If this is true, and I agree somewhat, the manager does not make a difference no matter who it is. We have been fundamentally bad under the last three managers so that is all on the players. Votto might as well be the manager.

It's about accountability.

There has been none since and including Dusty.

Is the players union at fault??? Are you not allowed to yank a guy who makes boneheaded plays because they are protected????

Night after night this team has players who shoot themselves and this team in the foot - repeatedly. Why is that????

Over and again Mr. Me, Me, Me - Puig has shown off his arm, trying to make a big play, at the expense of the team, yet nothing changes. Iglesias hot-dogs a ground ball, etc., etc., etc., and nothing changes.

If there is no accountability then this is the new level of acceptable performance and this is what you get.

Mac wouldn’t last a week in a big league clubhouse. I know him very well, have a long time, but he wouldn’t last in todays game.

The first time he pulled a guy mid-inning and berated then publicly after he had them run outside the outfield fence he would lose the clubhouse.

The Sweet Lou’s, Jim Leland’s and others are managers of the past. It would NEVER fly with today’s game and egos.

The days of leading with fear are in the past.

Joe Giardi can’t even find a job after 2 successful stops, and it continues to point to not being a players manager, losing the clubhouse.

None of this means David Bell is doing a good job. I think he’s much better than Price, but could do better on the little things, but to think you’d have drastic changes by inserting Mac or anyone like him is a huge stretch.

God knows we wouldn't want to "lose the clubhouse."

We've been above .500 one day, and .500 only two days in the past two seasons to date. What's to lose??? Games, Fans, Sponsors???

I believe that if David Bell lasts five years, he will look back on this season, realize that he let his "players coach" demeanor, and cyber-metrics cause him to be an inferior manager. I also think that in five years he will have gotten back to managing the team in a more effective old school baseball manner.

God knows we wouldn't want to "lose the clubhouse."

We've been above .500 one day, and .500 only two days in the past two seasons to date. What's to lose??? Games, Fans, Sponsors???

I believe that if David Bell lasts five years, he will look back on this season, realize that he let his "players coach" demeanor, and cyber-metrics cause him to be an inferior manager. I also think that in five years he will have gotten back to managing the team in a more effective old school baseball manner.

Ironically given my last post, I agree with 99% of this.

It's about accountability.

There has been none since and including Dusty.

Is the players union at fault??? Are you not allowed to yank a guy who makes boneheaded plays because they are protected????

Night after night this team has players who shoot themselves and this team in the foot - repeatedly. Why is that????

Over and again Mr. Me, Me, Me - Puig has shown off his arm, trying to make a big play, at the expense of the team, yet nothing changes. Iglesias hot-dogs a ground ball, etc., etc., etc., and nothing changes.

If there is no accountability then this is the new level of acceptable performance and this is what you get.

Way off base with the Puig criticism. And no manager in MLB history is going to sit Iglesias after that play. He’s been brilliant all season.