UK Basketball Memories

lcdawg4life

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside of the ones already mentioned I'll add a couple. I was always partial to the 31 point comeback on the road against LSU and one that most fans didn't see. During the 91-92 season due to a lucky student lottery draw I had seats in the 3rd row for a 103-89 win against UL. During that game John Pelphrey scored 8 points in a little over a minute. He hit the last 3 from about 25 feet after a steal right in Dwayne Morton's face. (Morton was the player that led to much recruiting ummm debate amongst UK/UL fans.) After burying the shot he gave Morton a nice little wry little wink as if to say "you better get used to it because its gonna be a long night..." They didn't show it on TV, (the wink that is) you had to be there, just an electric night, and a great sequence by my favorite UK player.

Oh and 96-98 in grade school when UK games came on we got to go to the library to watch the games. Best schooling ever.

Same here we were allowed to watch it in the class rooms as long as the teacher permitted it.

Would that happen today or would that infringe on someones civil rights?

My best memory is not a game, but a senior night. The night John Stewart, I think that's his name would have graduated. He's the kid from Indiana that Tubby recruited and died his senior year of high school. UK had his parents come and recognized him as a senior. It was one of the classiest things I have ever seen and brought tears to my eyes.

Sitting in the upper arena with my father and watching James Lee dunk on someone from Auburn (I believe), the guy getting taken off on a stretcher AND getting a block called on him.

Traveling with my new wife to New Orleans for the Final 4. Even though UK lost in the semifinals, getting autographs from the team at the hotel, running into Bob Huggins at a souvenier shop, meeting Billy Donovan on the street corner waiting for a Walk Sign, etc, and experiencing it all with my new wife was well worth it.

There are so many great moments for me Im going to list my top 5.

5. UK beating Arkansas in the SEC tournament in 93 after they had beaten us in the regular season at Arkansas. Mashburn put on a show that game.

4. Kentucky coming back from 31 points down against LSU. I can remember that night like it was yesterday. Players like Brassow and Chris Harrison played great!

3. UK winning the National Title in 98. Like Tubby or not, I felt like he did an amazing job coaching the Comeback Cats. That team was amazingly close and played together very well.

2. The Comeback against Duke. Turner kept eating Wojo's lunch and UK just flat out stuck in to Duke the last 8 minutes. That year was so amazing with us continuously coming from behind to win games.

1. The 96 National Championship was amazing! I just remember being so excited thrilled about that. That team was absolutely amazing and IMO the greatest college basketball team ever!

I have alot of great memories of Pitino's original team shooting 3's at will. I remember Derrick Miller firing it up at every opportunity.

One memory that sticks out is the crazy comeback vs. LSU.

That was amazing an game to watch on TV....:thumb: