UK Basketball Memories

lcdawg4life

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite UK men's basketball memory would have to be the 96' national championship. It was the 1st one that I was old enough to remember. Me and my friends at the time stayed up wathing that whole final four...At the time it was a big deal to me, thats when life was simple..lol.

1958-----Kentucky vs Vanderbilt at Vanderbilt.

A senior, 6' 4" Earl "Brother" Adkins had not seen much playing time during his tenure at Kentucky. But, in the eyes of many he was a great talent that was used too little.

It was a nip and tuck game when Adkins got a call from Rupp. It was all Earl Adkins for the balance of the game. His 25 points led the Cats to a great victory. The very next game he was back on the bench. What a waste of talent.

It was nice to see he was inducted into The Dawahares Kentucky High School Hall of Fame last year for his body of work for the Ashland Tomcats.

Being in Rupp the night #1 Florida came to town in 2003. They came out, we punched them in the face and never looked back.

I'm with this one. Being there for that was just unreal and I will never forget that. That was the most electric I have ever seen Rupp Arena in 5 years of going to games.

My first UK game at Memorial back in January 1967. UK beat LSU 104-74 (I still have my ticket stub). I was 12 years old, and thought Memorial was the biggest place in the world. And seeing the "Man In The Brown Suit" on the sidelines was a thrill. However, that season was not a good one for the Cats. It was the year after Rupp's Runts and UK had Pat Riley and Louie Dampier back, but without Tommy Kron and Larry Conley the chemistry just wasn't the same. They finished 13-13, which was one reason I had a free ticket to the game. But it's my most memorable for me because it was the first time I saw UK play live.