Washington DC Trip...Suggestions on What to Do

woodsrider

We are going to Washington DC this summer for about a week and were trying to plan what we wanted to see. Any suggestions on sites or place to visit? Not just in DC but the surrounding area as well. Also on the way back we will have a day or two extra so any suggestions on places to stop along the way?

Arlington, for sure. There is something spiritual about watching the changing of the guards. Would also suggest the Viet Nam and WW2 memorials. We went about ten years ago and there were WW2 vets there. It was really neat to see them. There aren’t many left, so they might not be any there anymore.

My favorite museum was the Holocaust Museum, and the Smithsonian would be my second favorite.

Might be worth looking into a day tour that can get you around to see more in a faster way. Plus, the tour guides always teach you something interesting.

Would we be able to walk to Arlington from the other sites? What I mean is if we planned a day to see things like the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, ect... could we walk over to Arlington or is it too far?
Around the National Mall area you can do all of those things. But it will be a lot of walking, but doable. Arlington is just across the Potomac from the Lincoln Memorial, though it's probably a mile away. Couple options. The Metro is an easy means to get around. But DC also has the bike rental stations you can get for just a few bucks and will get you to wherever you need.

I liken it to Las Vegas. You can see everything and say, "Oh, I can walk there." And you can, it just takes three times as long as you think it will. :lol2: A "Vegas Mile" as one of my friends would describe it.

No doubt. "Hey, New York is just right down there, we can walk"...3 hours later...

Around the National Mall area you can do all of those things. But it will be a lot of walking, but doable. Arlington is just across the Potomac from the Lincoln Memorial, though it's probably a mile away. Couple options. The Metro is an easy means to get around. But DC also has the bike rental stations you can get for just a few bucks and will get you to wherever you need.

We are staying in Chevy Chase and plan to take the metro or Uber to the Mall area when we go so we won't have our car with us. I thought maybe we could hit Arlington on the same day...of course we may do all of the monuments/museums/capitol in two days. I'll look into the bikes. It will be me, my wife, and my 10 year old.