Girls Sweet 16 Attendance

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great attendance for the girls event. I think it shows that location had a lot to do with it. But 5000 is still pretty sparce for Rupp Arena. I wonder if they could still draw that if it was another central location like Memorial? I think that would create a great atmosphere.

$10 bucks to watch all games on internet. Wonder how many took advantage of that. Got to be a big number. And this had to hurt attendance.

I paid $10 to watch, but if it wasn't avaialble...I wouldn't have went. I think the streaming stops very few people from going while allowing those that wouldn't or couldn't still watch the games.

You have to keep it at Rupp for now. The atmosphere was excellent, and these Young Ladies deserve the chance to get out there on the floor and take in the experience at Rupp.

I saw a few minor complaints about some student sections being small, but that's a general growing trend in all of KHSAA sports across the board due to a new era and generation of kids with more "options" on how to spend their time and money. If anything, I think playing at Rupp made more students WANT to go so they could take in the atmosphere. Nothing in the State has the nostalgia and appeal of Rupp, and that certainly makes a difference.

Second largest crowd in the history of the event is a pretty strong sign for the future. Let's hope this becomes a TRADITION for our student-athletes, and let's hope the adults involved in the decision making make the right choice and keep it going strong!

Agree that 5K average per game is good, but do believe a smaller venue would be better atmosphere.

Talking to some that were there and had girls playing in it...They LOVED everything about playing in Rupp! It was a great atmosphere for the players and in the end that's all that matters.

This isn't directed at you @ucndbengals, but I don't understand this obsession everyone has with there being empty seats at football or basketball championships played at large arenas or fields. Look at it this way, if you had a chance in high school to play a game at Rupp or EKU where would you rather play as a player? If you could play at Fenway/Wrigley or some random baseball field where would you rather play? If you could play a high school football game on Notre Dame's field or some random small college field where would you rather play? It in many ways isn't about filling all the seats as much as giving the kids a chance to make a memory of a life time.

Talking to some that were there and had girls playing in it...They LOVED everything about playing in Rupp! It was a great atmosphere for the players and in the end that's all that matters.

This isn't directed at you @ucndbengals, but I don't understand this obsession everyone has with there being empty seats at football or basketball championships played at large arenas or fields. Look at it this way, if you had a chance in high school to play a game at Rupp or EKU where would you rather play as a player? If you could play at Fenway/Wrigley or some random baseball field where would you rather play? If you could play a high school football game on Notre Dame's field or some random small college field where would you rather play? It in many ways isn't about filling all the seats as much as giving the kids a chance to make a memory of a life time.

I really don't mind empty seats either, but I think the assumption that the venues are so important to the players is not necessarily true. Ultimately, when you hear people talk about high school sports experiences, it's less about where it's played, but more about the fact that it was played. The important, and longest lasting memory isn't playing at Rupp...it's just playing in the state tourney. While the venue might get mentioned here and there, it's almost always secondary to the game. The venue, atmosphere, etc, is almost universally more discussed by and important to the spectators. That doesn't mean the venue isn't important to the event. But the importance of the venue to the players, in my opinion, is overstated.