Girls Sweet 16 Attendance

Talking to some that were there and had girls playing in it...They LOVED everything about playing in Rupp! It was a great atmosphere for the players and in the end that's all that matters.

This isn't directed at you @ucndbengals, but I don't understand this obsession everyone has with there being empty seats at football or basketball championships played at large arenas or fields. Look at it this way, if you had a chance in high school to play a game at Rupp or EKU where would you rather play as a player? If you could play at Fenway/Wrigley or some random baseball field where would you rather play? If you could play a high school football game on Notre Dame's field or some random small college field where would you rather play? It in many ways isn't about filling all the seats as much as giving the kids a chance to make a memory of a life time.

I think the only counter-argument to what you are saying here, is that the recommendation proposed was to have the Girls Tournament at Memorial Coliseum. Home of the UK Women's team so it's not a random gym. Matter of fact it holds as much history as Rupp for UK basketball. 5K - 6K in that gym would be a great atmosphere and memory for the girls IMO.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only counter-argument to what you are saying here, is that the recommendation proposed was to have the Girls Tournament at Memorial Coliseum. Home of the UK Women's team so it's not a random gym. Matter of fact it holds as much history as Rupp for UK basketball. 5K - 6K in that gym would be a great atmosphere and memory for the girls IMO.

Memorial would be nice for the girls I agree, but it would be nearly impossible logistically to have a 16 team tourney on campus while classes are going on...parking alone would be nearly impossible. That said, todays players and most of the parents have little to no knowledge of Memorial and its history. They see Rupp on TV 15-20 times a year and face it, it is the most iconic gym in the state.

I really don't mind empty seats either, but I think the assumption that the venues are so important to the players is not necessarily true. Ultimately, when you hear people talk about high school sports experiences, it's less about where it's played, but more about the fact that it was played. The important, and longest lasting memory isn't playing at Rupp...it's just playing in the state tourney. While the venue might get mentioned here and there, it's almost always secondary to the game. The venue, atmosphere, etc, is almost universally more discussed by and important to the spectators. That doesn't mean the venue isn't important to the event. But the importance of the venue to the players, in my opinion, is overstated.

The venue doesn't supersede playing for a title, but it can add exponentially to the experience. Playing at Rupp or the Yum center would be a far better memory and experience than playing at Kentucky State or EKU for instance.