Open Job: Ryle

Ryle pulls kids from Ockerman, Ra Jones & Gray MS. Gray & Ockerman have always been good programs with good coaches. RA (small division) I have heard has had a very successful program the last few years.

Coaching has been the issue for Ryles program. Kids have routinely not bought in. Which has led to multiple disappointing seasons.

The next coach that takes over needs to bring in a strong freshman coach that can help maintain & develop the talent. In the past kids have made these teams that have no potential to develop over the course of 4 years.

Athletes are present however Ryle needs a coach that knows how to motivate the players & control the parents of Ryle’s Demographics.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Athletes are present however Ryle needs a coach that knows how to motivate the players & control the parents of Ryle’s Demographics.

Maybe, as adults, they should control themselves.

The current senior class at Ryle won 6th,7th, and 8th grade championships while at Gray. 2009-2015 Was probably the most successful middle school program in the region.

Shows how good kids are in middle school means very little when they get older. Some kids are just more developed in middle school than others and top out. Middle schools would be better served to have multiple teams to keep the late bloomers interested and involved.

Shows how good kids are in middle school means very little when they get older. Some kids are just more developed in middle school than others and top out. Middle schools would be better served to have multiple teams to keep the late bloomers interested and involved.

While in theory, multiple teams would seem to make sense, in practice, it’s just not practical. You’ve already got a 1/2 dozen grade level teams between boys and girls. Unless you’ve got multiple gyms, it’s going to be nearly impossible to have enough gym time for practice and games if you add additional teams. Not to mention finding enough quality coaches.

FYI...You should never keep 18 kids on a 6th grade basketball team unless you can have 2 teams. That isn't helping anyone's development.

I don't agree or really disagree with this sentiment. I think middle school is about development. I think that everyone on a middle school roster should play though. It doesn't make sense especially during the regular season to only play your top 6-7 players. Tournament time you can shorten your bench but develop those kids when you can.

But back to the topic at hand. I expect them to start contacting coaches this week for interviews. I have no inside information just what I would do if I was there.

FYI...You should never keep 18 kids on a 6th grade basketball team unless you can have 2 teams. That isn't helping anyone's development.

The coach uses the middle school league at SOAS to play the kids that might not usually have an opportunity to play during the season. He understands kids develop at different times and keeps kids interested.

Any known interviews?

Edited by unbiased2011

The coach use the middle school league at SOAS to play the kids that might not usually have an opportunity to play during the season. He understands kids develop at different times and keeps kids interested.

Any known interviews?

No but they did this the last time. Was silent about the process and no word about interviews came out until McFarland was hired.

The coach uses the middle school league at SOAS to play the kids that might not usually have an opportunity to play during the season. He understands kids develop at different times and keeps kids interested.

Any known interviews?

I think that is a very good idea!

While in theory, multiple teams would seem to make sense, in practice, it’s just not practical. You’ve already got a 1/2 dozen grade level teams between boys and girls. Unless you’ve got multiple gyms, it’s going to be nearly impossible to have enough gym time for practice and games if you add additional teams. Not to mention finding enough quality coaches.

Campbell County seems to make it work and has had a good run of success at the varsity level.

Campbell County seems to make it work and has had a good run of success at the varsity level.

Completely different. Campbell has two separate Gymns in the middle school and their feeder programs are in the same building.

Long term sustained success is due in large tothe high school coach having the freedom to oversee the program in the particular school system from the elementary up. That he or she develops a great working relationship with his or her elementary and middle school coaches and that they run the same system that the high school program is running. Also the head coach needs to be a visible presence at the middle school and elementary games.