Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Russell vs. Belfry

Who wins? 187 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I think the FASTEST route is...

 

Take US 23 S. to Rt. 645 (10 mi. south of Louisa)...Take a right at the end of the road onto Rt. 40 (goes by Sheldon Clark HS, btw)...go through Warfield and cross the bridge into Kermit...THEN take a right on US 52 and use Watusi's directions.

 

The biggest advantage to this route is cutting the big "u" off the trip in going around the state border on the WV side.

 

I live just off Rt. 645. I can get to CAM in 45 mins. A bus would probably take an hour.

 

The worst part of the trip is the stretch between Inez and Kermit. That's 10 miles of twisty up-and-down 2 lane driving. US 52 is two lane, but not nearly as twisty.

 

Be careful on the road everyone... :thumb:

Doesn't that route take you through Beauty and Lovely. Those terms are not literal by the way.

  • Replies 146
  • Views 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't that route take you through Beauty and Lovely. Those terms are not literal by the way.

 

 

Probably the most ironic names for any area I can think of.:D

I would say most teams have improved from the begining of the year.

I know that FBALL. But what I was saying is we "should" be more improved due to our QB change. I mean our QB change has helped Belfry control turnovers and really added a threat to sneak some passes in. He was 3 for 3 with like 120 yards and three TD's against the Boro and he carries a great fake. Also we were able to work Preston in at WR some (the original qb) and he has done a nice job. Also we play quiet a few sophmores so hopefully they have developed alot mroe. Coach Haywood strategy is get better each week and I believe Middlesboro was probably our best game yet. It will take another one to win Friday.

Also to the Russell fans talking about a team loosing its fire. Last year when we went to your guys place we defintley had lost ours. We though that defending AA state champs was enuff and you proved us wrong. We woke up but tio was to late. I feel our guys are ready for this game. I feel Russell will see a better team than the one that traveled there last year. But that is just my opinion. I think this will be a classic game.

What does everyone think the scoring will be like. I see neither team getting more than 28 points That is just my guess but you never know. It reminds me of Ohio State and Michigan. You seem to expect a low scoring game but these offesnses arent bad neither. Im going to make a prediction that might hold true, we have both struggled with tacking. Belfry has done better lately and you guys complained about tackling at the Corbin game. The ability to wrap up all game will be the key to this game for both teams against the break away backs we both have. The team with less missed tackles just might win this game.

I don't know that I would (exclude) anyone at this time of year, even when our QB hands out kudos to the o-line after last weeks' game in the paper, because everyone always has room to improve. I've been told that the O-line has really been putting in the extra work these past 2 days, getting ready for Friday's match up.

 

As for that "fire in the belly", we'll just have to see how it unfolds on Friday. The win will go to the team who executes their game plan the best, and IMO not to who wants it the most. I know last year at the HANK, Belfry was not going to surrender their champsionship crown without a fight and they proved that by the 2nd half showing they put on down to the last play of the game. This year it will be no exception. Russell is not going to walk into Belfry's stadium and lay down and give the chance to go back to the 'ville without a fight as well.

 

Go Red Devils !!!! :devil: :fire: :thumb:

 

I don't know what else Josh Wills could do. It's been noted on here before that this kid leaves it all on the field on both sides of the ball, and I couldn't agree more. Execution notwithstanding, I still believe that the big "intangible" in this game will be the "desire" exhibited by this Russell team. How badly do they want to repeat as champions? The Belfry Pirates, at home, will present a challenge like none other this year IMO. There will probably be a point in this game where everything comes down to these boys having to get "junk-yard dog" mean and make a stand. That's when we will know how badly they do indeed want another shot at a championship game in Louisville.

 

Go Devils!!!:fire:

I bet money on the O line we see Big Seth ... O Line needs some push ... Wouldn't surprise me to see him in power situations at guard - between Ethan and Toby or in an unbalance situation .... Kasey is a Power type back , with low mileage this year ... I look for Ivan to attempt to do some ground and pound.... Mixed in with passing , especially if Belfry's d line is small and quick ..

 

I agree. It would not surprise me to see the Power-I backfield a few times with Wills and Foster moving into the backfield like at the Ashland Game. But you just never know what Ivan might pull out of the bag for this game. He may even run the old "fumble rushke(sp?)" play or empty out the backfield and go "5 wide" and run some Tony Franklin offense.;)

I don't know what else Josh Wills could do. It's been noted on here before that this kid leaves it all on the field on both sides of the ball, and I couldn't agree more. Execution notwithstanding, I still believe that the big "intangible" in this game will be the "desire" exhibited by this Russell team. How badly do they want to repeat as champions? The Belfry Pirates, at home, will present a challenge like none other this year IMO. There will probably be a point in this game where everything comes down to these boys having to get "junk-yard dog" mean and make a stand. That's when we will know how badly they do indeed want another shot at a championship game in Louisville.

 

Go Devils!!!:fire:

 

Didn't say he wouldn't leave it all on the field. I just mean that even the very best players amateur or pro, always see something they can improve on in their play. I see that in Josh. I can picture him watching film and seeing a play where he could have attacked his man on offense a different way or use a different method to blitz the QB.

 

I honestly believe last week's game has showed the entire Russell team, how "physical" and "tough" you MUST be to win at this stretch of the playoffs. The district schedule didn't do us any favors this year, but since the first Fleming game when we were only up 7-6 at the half, they have raised their level of play tremendously. They just took it to a new level last week and will have to "at least" match that if not exceed that on Friday.

 

We have left the friendly confines of the HANK and must now travel to the opposing teams home in order to make the trip back to Papa Johns, against a team we are all too familiar with and they us.

 

That said, if all of that doesnt' light their fire then I have faith that our coaching staff will do it for them.

 

NOTE TO THE FANS: - We need to get on our feet, ring those bells, blow those horns from pre-game warmups to the final horn. Our players really do "Feed" off the crowd when we are into the game (i.e. like last years "Newport", "Belfry" and "Ocath" games.

 

Okay, off my pedestal. Go Devils !!!!! We love you all !!!! :devil: :fight: :fire:

Didn't say he wouldn't leave it all on the field. I just mean that even the very best players amateur or pro, always see something they can improve on in their play. I see that in Josh. I can picture him watching film and seeing a play where he could have attacked his man on offense a different way or use a different method to blitz the QB.

 

I honestly believe last week's game has showed the entire Russell team, how "physical" and "tough" you MUST be to win at this stretch of the playoffs. The district schedule didn't do us any favors this year, but since the first Fleming game when we were only up 7-6 at the half, they have raised their level of play tremendously. They just took it to a new level last week and will have to "at least" match that if not exceed that on Friday.

 

We have left the friendly confines of the HANK and must now travel to the opposing teams home in order to make the trip back to Papa Johns, against a team we are all too familiar with and they us.

 

That said, if all of that doesnt' light their fire then I have faith that our coaching staff will do it for them.

 

NOTE TO THE FANS: - We need to get on our feet, ring those bells, blow those horns from pre-game warmups to the final horn. Our players really do "Feed" off the crowd when we are into the game (i.e. like last years "Newport", "Belfry" and "Ocath" games.

 

Okay, off my pedestal. Go Devils !!!!! We love you all !!!! :devil: :fight: :fire:

 

We're on the same page. :thumb:

I can't wait for this game, the CAM should be rockin..This will be a true battle, and the rubber match in this series, If Belfry plays like they did last week against Mboro' then I think they win, they played almost mistake free football, only complaint being kick returns, if this team does as most Belfry teams do and peak at the right time and I feel like they are playing thier best football right now, then I think we will send the Red Devils out of CAM Stadium with a loss. Go Bucs!!

Doesn't that route take you through Beauty and Lovely. Those terms are not literal by the way.

 

Yes, they do... Like I said, that part is the worst section of the trip.

 

And a BIG :thumb: on pointing out the irony in those two city names... :creepy:

Yes, they do... Like I said, that part is the worst section of the trip.

 

And a BIG :thumb: on pointing out the irony in those two city names... :creepy:

Is it irony...or is it optimism?

It is ironic.

So what's the injury report in Flatwoods? I knwo for the better part of the season the Devils were missing a fe wplayers... have they all recovered?

Is it irony...or is it optimism?

I think it was insanity.

So what's the injury report in Flatwoods? I know for the better part of the season the Devils were missing a few wplayers... have they all recovered?

 

As far as I know the two mains ones that were out with any chance of coming back are in and healthy. Jacob Sizemore and Nick Lewis are back in action. Jonathan Cornwell was lost early in the season with an ACL and will not return.

 

All in all everyone looks to be OK.

If it's close late , Devils will win it ..... Just when I thought Belfry was coming back last year , Clark made a play ... Several other were made down the stretch and Belfry helped us with some wild looking plays ..

 

Making a play is what the Devils can do as well as much bigger schools .... Devils are loaded with kids on 2A level that can make plays ....

 

But with all that said Devils can be beat up in a ground and pound game , like the red army hammered us with in 2004 ...

 

In 2005 Belfry couldn't dominate us physically ... last years seniors saw to that ... It's this years - large - senior classes turn to stand toe to toe with the Red Army ... The game hinges on this matchup .. I cannot wait ....

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.