Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Russell vs. Belfry

Who wins? 187 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Belfry started slow last year and was close to getting run off the field. That won't happen this year. Belfry will be focused on a faster start.

 

Devils are full of skill , speed but Clark has D1 potential. No one will run the Devils off the field ,nor will this happen to Befry at home. Close game that team with most playmakers wins .... Based upon last year this is the Devils because they take care of the ball better than the Pirates ...

 

The problem is they did not take care of the ball when Belfry beat them two years ago. The fumble or interception will be the death for one of these two teams come tomorrow. The line play will be a big factor. Jones, Clark, Wells, and Beekman need to buy the linemen lunch if Russell wins. They will have earned it.

  • Replies 146
  • Views 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three years in a row now , we've been lucky enough to half both.

 

Hey Orisonspi, Nice little pice on the stadium and I appreciate the info. I do have a question though. You mentioned the radio guy and that he was pretty bias which made me think.....Do you guys have the same PA guy?

 

I don't follow you...the play by play man on the radio is not very biased, the color man is very excitable just as a color man should be.

 

The PA man for the stadium is Steve Phillips... he is a retired Belfry educator.

 

Bobby Norman and Joe Kinzer are the radio personalities.

Belfry will take care of the ball. As far as the PA announcer yeah he is there and he is fired up. Since we got the new PA he really gets into the games and really keeps the fans going. They arent nothing wrong with that though go to UK and listen to theirs when UK gets a first down. We have one of the best PA guys around. Coach Haywood was the one who started to have him to get more into a game this year, since the Prestonburg game he has been wild and I heard him on the radio this week and he was wild then lol.

For any Russell fans making the trip:

 

- First of all I am going to go ahead and extend a warm welcome to CAM! The weather looks absolutely perfect for Friday night! Just to reinterate... in my personal opinion it is far faster to come down the West Virginia side..I personally always preferred flying down US 23 til Louisa then crossing over to WV... please beware in Kermit and Crum as people get speeding tickets there frequently. After you cross into Kentucky for the final time on US 119 you will have eating options all the wat to CAM. On your left will be a Long Johns, Wendy's, KFC, Pizza Hut, Dairy Queen..... at the intersection with Wal-Mart (when you frst will see the stadium) you can make a right at the light with Hardee's and on Mall Hill will find Arby's, Captain D's, McDonald's, Throughbred Steakhouse, and Giovanni's pizza.

 

-There will be no such thing this week as "being too early" Taigating is scheduled to kick off at 5:30 in the main parking lot, with WXCC 96.5 fm doing live remote broadcasts starting at this time. It should be a very festive environment.

 

- You WILL have ample seating of your own... our visitor side seats 750-1000 people and last week Middlesboro did not fill it up even with a pep band... for the late arrivers there are plenty of spots for standing room.

 

-The past few weeks we have not operated a secondary visitor concession stand so I will not promise that it will be there as well... but the main concession stand moves VERY quickly... even at halftime. The restrooms are very nice and heated....

 

- Parking will be a non-issue aside from those arriving around 7pm.... there are two main lots (one behind the stadium, one in front of the gym) with about 3 or 4 sub-lots. The stadium has both an East and West entrance/exit... the West access is at the red light... the East access does not have a turn light and is right next to the BP Car Wash. There is no parking charge. IF you are one of the late arrivers then expect a capacity crowd.. thus you will more than likely need to park alongside US 119 and walk.. unlike at Vipperman don't expect to walk over a mile HAHA..this will be less than half a mile at most! ;)

 

- The primary radio station to cover Belfry is 96.5 WXCC who as previously mentioned will broadcast starting at 5:30...with their kickoff show starting at 6:45. The commentators are pretty good and energetic, Bobby Norman does an excellent job of keeping his bias withheld, Kinzer is the color man... both paint a pretty good picture of the game and will give credit to both teams.

Alternative station would be 93.1 out of Pikeville, and possibly 106.7 out of Matewan, WV (Don't quote me).

 

-There are 3 entry points to CAM Stadium.. one on each side of the home bleachers, as well as another on the approach of the West entrance which is the most accesible for those parking in the gym lot.

 

-Admission is $5 per person

 

- CAM utilizes two playclocks, one on each side... there is one primary scoreboard on the hillside of the east Endzone.

NICE POST! :thumb:

 

 

 

Just to clarify...the tailgate isn't held in the main parking lot, it's actually held in the softball parking lot so as not to be in the way. Nobody provides anything for us, we just all pitch in and bring burgers and dogs, a dish and drinks and have a good time! We started with about 20 people last year and now we are up to about 75-100! This is our 2nd season and Friday should be our biggest ever with some Russell fans joining us. The radio station said they would be broadcasting live beginning at 5:30 from the tailgate party. Bring a dish and come join the fun!

:dancingpa

Belfry will take care of the ball. As far as the PA announcer yeah he is there and he is fired up. Since we got the new PA he really gets into the games and really keeps the fans going. They arent nothing wrong with that though go to UK and listen to theirs when UK gets a first down. We have one of the best PA guys around. Coach Haywood was the one who started to have him to get more into a game this year, since the Prestonburg game he has been wild and I heard him on the radio this week and he was wild then lol.

 

Belfry will take care of the ball!!! Are you saying no fumbles and no interceptions? I sure could not say that for any football team.

I don't follow you...the play by play man on the radio is not very biased, the color man is very excitable just as a color man should be.

 

The PA man for the stadium is Steve Phillips... he is a retired Belfry educator.

 

Bobby Norman and Joe Kinzer are the radio personalities.

 

I meant non-biased as far as the radio guys. Sorry about the mistake. From what I remember of the PA guy, he becomes quite the cheerleader over the loudspeaker. I guess that's his choice, I have just always thought the PA person should be fairly non-biased when calling a game.

I will go with Belfry in a close one.

Belfry 35

Russell 32

The PA man definitely tries to pump up the crowd, especially in the last few weeks. He is very smooth and very good at doing the PA, but he does not hide his affection for the Pirates.

 

Even though it is secondary to the game and it really isn't my thing to listen to the PA guy a whole lot, I can live with him being a homer. I've been to several places where the PA man does that and it never bothers me. Contrarily, it seems natural to me, especially on the high school level. He is part of the home staff, part of the program, a fan.

The PA man definitely tries to pump up the crowd, especially in the last few weeks. He is very smooth and very good at doing the PA, but he does not hide his affection for the Pirates.

 

Even though it is secondary to the game and it really isn't my thing to listen to the PA guy a whole lot, I can live with him being a homer. I've been to several places where the PA man does that and it never bothers me. Contrarily, it seems natural to me, especially on the high school level. He is part of the home staff, part of the program, a fan.

 

He should be for his team. Why not?

Well, here are my two cents on the matter:

I don't like PA guys who are homers. I have been brought up that all officials,

play-by-play announcers, PA speakers, etc. should promote at least on some

level a professional (non-bias) air about them. However, it is just a nuisance

to me and I really don't think it has much bearing on the game, which is what

really matters.

 

I am excited about the game tomorrow and can't wait to get on the road. I

haven't seen the Devils play in over a month and I am hoping to see both a

very much improved ballclub and a winner on Friday. I'm also excited to see

Belfry's new stadium, I hear its fantastic.

It's going to be a slugfest out there tomorrow night - good old smashmouth

football - and though I haven't seen Russell recently or Belfry at all, I believe

the key to this game will be turnovers. Simply based on the last two meetings

momentum has been huge. When Russell has turned the ball over they have

been beat, when they keep the ball, they seem to be superior.

It should be another great one and I can't wait.

I meant non-biased as far as the radio guys. Sorry about the mistake. From what I remember of the PA guy, he becomes quite the cheerleader over the loudspeaker. I guess that's his choice, I have just always thought the PA person should be fairly non-biased when calling a game.

When talking about radio personalities I don't think they should be cheerleaders... but when addressing PA men I prefer (even when travelling) for the PA guy to be a homer.... it's part of the perk of homefield advantage.

 

There is a huge difference in being biased and being blind though. Belfry's PA man Steve Phillips, who has won a couple awards as the best PA guy in the state, will pump up the homecrowd, coinc catch phrases, andencourage Belfry participation,,,, but you will never hear him cross the professionalism barrier, question the officials or their calls, attempt to provoke an illicit response from the other team, or publicly disrespect the visitor. He is very smooth, he is articulate, and he is on top of every play without moments of silence when you are wondering "who carried the ball?" or "who made the stop?"

When Russell has turned the ball over they have

been beat, when they keep the ball, they seem to be superior.

Subsititute Belfry with Russell in this statement and it is still true...

 

Guys I can't make a prediction on this one because it is too evenly matched and honestly I feel that the game will be decided based on intangibles, turnovers, and execution. We as fans have no way to evaluate these quantities....

 

What's ironic is every strength each team ahs can also function as a strength for the opposition:

 

Russell has the Senior leadership advantage... but Belfry STILL hasn't peaked this season and IMO will not peak because they are such a young team.

 

Russell is the defending champs, but Belfry feels that they should be going for a 4 peat.

 

Russell has a big, strong offensive line bigger than anyone Belfry has seen... but Belfry has a very quick D-line that will give Russell fits.

 

Belfry has a very balanced, power running game... but Russell's skill set and team amekup is designed perfectly for run defense.

Subsititute Belfry with Russell in this statement and it is still true...

 

Guys I can't make a prediction on this one because it is too evenly matched and honestly I feel that the game will be decided based on intangibles, turnovers, and execution. We as fans have no way to evaluate these quantities....

 

What's ironic is every strength each team ahs can also function as a strength for the opposition:

 

Russell has the Senior leadership advantage... but Belfry STILL hasn't peaked this season and IMO will not peak because they are such a young team.

 

Russell is the defending champs, but Belfry feels that they should be going for a 4 peat.

 

Russell has a big, strong offensive line bigger than anyone Belfry has seen... but Belfry has a very quick D-line that will give Russell fits.

 

Belfry has a very balanced, power running game... but Russell's skill set and team amekup is designed perfectly for run defense.

 

 

 

Agree with analysis ... Devils better at protecting the ball ... :fire:

This is going to be a great game and weather is going to be perfect for it. Good luck to both teams.

When talking about radio personalities I don't think they should be cheerleaders... but when addressing PA men I prefer (even when travelling) for the PA guy to be a homer.... it's part of the perk of homefield advantage.

 

There is a huge difference in being biased and being blind though. Belfry's PA man Steve Phillips, who has won a couple awards as the best PA guy in the state, will pump up the homecrowd, coinc catch phrases, andencourage Belfry participation,,,, but you will never hear him cross the professionalism barrier, question the officials or their calls, attempt to provoke an illicit response from the other team, or publicly disrespect the visitor. He is very smooth, he is articulate, and he is on top of every play without moments of silence when you are wondering "who carried the ball?" or "who made the stop?"

 

All true, Mr Phillips is all that and a bag of chips. :banana:

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.