Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Russell vs. Belfry

Who wins? 187 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I'm going to have to go with Russell in this one. I have seen both teams play and I feel that Russell is the better team between the two. Belfry has had a hard time holding on to the ball this season and Russell with take advantage on this.

 

Russell 28

Belfry 13

ALso give us credit last week no turnovers. We have worked hard on hanging on to the ball. Also this is a different team than traveled to Ashland. We dont even have the same QB and our QB is a big part to our sucess now.

  • Replies 146
  • Views 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALso give us credit last week no turnovers. We have worked hard on hanging on to the ball. Also this is a different team than traveled to Ashland. We dont even have the same QB and our QB is a big part to our sucess now.

 

No doubt on that!! this kid can play!!

Sure that's the way the 88' Tomcats took to hand an UNDEFEATED Belfry team their 1st loss. The TOMCATS then went to Flatwoods to meet the Red Devils agian to win the Region!!! Only to fall to the State Champion Covington Catholic 0-6.

 

The better route for most Russell fans is to go South on US 23 to Pikeville and then turn left at the Super Wal-Mart. Follow that road to Belfry and it will take you about 2 hours.

 

You've really put a bur in this T-cat's tail Watusi:fire:

 

No malice intended, onetoya, I travel to Ashland often and I always go 52 in WV. It is 30 minutes shorter than traveling through Pikeville. However, it is mostly 2 lane and you have some coal truck traffic to deal with, plus you have to watch your speed through Kermit and Crum or you will get a ticket.

 

For any fans that travel through Pikeville, just come on down US23. When you get to Pikeville, there will be plenty of places to eat and gas up, and the gas is at least 15 cents cheaper in Pikeville than in Belfry.

 

When you see Super Wal-Mart on your right (across the river) get in the left lane and take the next left at the red light onto US 119 North. Follow that to Belfry, it will take about 30 minutes or less. There is a mix of 4 lane and 2 lane, and a little bit of construction, but nothing that will hold up traffic. Just enough to make you be careful.

 

When you get into Belfry, pass the old high school and Vipperman and drive another 2-3 miles. You will see the new school on your right. Hope everyone has a safe trip.

ALso give us credit last week no turnovers. We have worked hard on hanging on to the ball. Also this is a different team than traveled to Ashland. We dont even have the same QB and our QB is a big part to our sucess now.

I would say most teams have improved from the begining of the year.

I would say most teams have improved from the begining of the year.

 

 

Of course, and that will be a key in this game.

 

Ashland played both teams early in the season (game 2 and 3). At that time I would say that Belfry was slightly better than Russell, but they made a lot of mistakes. If Belfry has learned to take care of the football Russell will have their hands full – especially AT Belfry.

 

I think this will be a very close game between to great teams (and programs). I’ll be pulling for Russell – but, I’m worried.

I think it goes without saying that Russell will have to put nothing less than a complete game together to leave Pond Creek with a "W". Limiting turnovers on offense, creating turnovers on defense. It would help if the Devils come out and put some points on the board early to subdue the Pirate Nation. There has to be an improvement on tackling over last week or it could get ugly. O-line blocking has to improve as well. (Excludes #56)

 

My gut tells me this Russell team lacks the "fire in the belly" to repeat as 2A State Champs. This game will no doubt be won by the team that wants it the most. This year, that team could very well be Belfry.

 

Really looking forward to watching the game at the new stadium. I love playing Belfry!!! It's evern better when we win! :fire:

I think it goes without saying that Russell will have to put nothing less than a complete game together to leave Pond Creek with a "W". Limiting turnovers on offense, creating turnovers on defense. It would help if the Devils come out and put some points on the board early to subdue the Pirate Nation. There has to be an improvement on tackling over last week or it could get ugly. O-line blocking has to improve as well. (Excludes #56)

 

My gut tells me this Russell team lacks the "fire in the belly" to repeat as 2A State Champs. This game will no doubt be won by the team that wants it the most. This year, that team could very well be Belfry.

 

Really looking forward to watching the game at the new stadium. I love playing Belfry!!! It's evern better when we win! :fire:

 

You know I question some of the same things you do. Sometimes I think they are happy to have that 2005 ring and want no more. We will find out just how much Russell wants it on Friday. Like you said Russell must play an error free game to win this one.

I think it goes without saying that Russell will have to put nothing less than a complete game together to leave Pond Creek with a "W". Limiting turnovers on offense, creating turnovers on defense. It would help if the Devils come out and put some points on the board early to subdue the Pirate Nation. There has to be an improvement on tackling over last week or it could get ugly. O-line blocking has to improve as well. (Excludes #56)

 

My gut tells me this Russell team lacks the "fire in the belly" to repeat as 2A State Champs. This game will no doubt be won by the team that wants it the most. This year, that team could very well be Belfry.

 

I don't know that I would (exclude) anyone at this time of year, even when our QB hands out kudos to the o-line after last weeks' game in the paper, because everyone always has room to improve. I've been told that the O-line has really been putting in the extra work these past 2 days, getting ready for Friday's match up.

 

As for that "fire in the belly", we'll just have to see how it unfolds on Friday. The win will go to the team who executes their game plan the best, and IMO not to who wants it the most. I know last year at the HANK, Belfry was not going to surrender their champsionship crown without a fight and they proved that by the 2nd half showing they put on down to the last play of the game. This year it will be no exception. Russell is not going to walk into Belfry's stadium and lay down and give the chance to go back to the 'ville without a fight as well.

 

Go Red Devils !!!! :devil: :fire: :thumb:

I'm going to say Belfry by 3 TDs.

Tough game for the Devils. Belfry has alot of depth on that roster, I look for them to wear down Russell and win.

 

Belfry-20

Russell-12

That's probably the easiest route, but the one Watusi gave is definitely the quickest.

 

I guess you are saying that on a bus, traveling down U.S. 52 isn't that great of a trip. I wouldn't really argue that, but in a family sized vehicle the passage is fine, imo.

 

 

I think the FASTEST route is...

 

Take US 23 S. to Rt. 645 (10 mi. south of Louisa)...Take a right at the end of the road onto Rt. 40 (goes by Sheldon Clark HS, btw)...go through Warfield and cross the bridge into Kermit...THEN take a right on US 52 and use Watusi's directions.

 

The biggest advantage to this route is cutting the big "u" off the trip in going around the state border on the WV side.

 

I live just off Rt. 645. I can get to CAM in 45 mins. A bus would probably take an hour.

 

The worst part of the trip is the stretch between Inez and Kermit. That's 10 miles of twisty up-and-down 2 lane driving. US 52 is two lane, but not nearly as twisty.

 

Be careful on the road everyone... :thumb:

^ You might be right. I forgot about that route.:thumb:

I think the FASTEST route is...

 

Take US 23 S. to Rt. 645 (10 mi. south of Louisa)...Take a right at the end of the road onto Rt. 40 (goes by Sheldon Clark HS, btw)...go through Warfield and cross the bridge into Kermit...THEN take a right on US 52 and use Watusi's directions.

 

The biggest advantage to this route is cutting the big "u" off the trip in going around the state border on the WV side.

 

I live just off Rt. 645. I can get to CAM in 45 mins. A bus would probably take an hour.

 

The worst part of the trip is the stretch between Inez and Kermit. That's 10 miles of twisty up-and-down 2 lane driving. US 52 is two lane, but not nearly as twisty.

 

Be careful on the road everyone... :thumb:

 

Someone else told me about that route today. It sounds like a better way.

 

But does anyone know from the US 23 Pikeville side if US 119 is four-lane now all they way. 2 years ago, it was only a few miles (2 or 3) and then the rest was the old road

If goes into 4th quarter close .. Devils win ... Lot's of playmakers on the Devils. Clark , Sizemore, Gullet,Lewis , Wills, Wells,Sutton,Beekman, Jones and others have played alot of football for the Devils .... This experience will bring home a close game. My only concern is if the red army can ground and pound the ball down the field with #20 - that kid stood out last year ... We have to be able to stop this kid , who is a year stronger .....

 

Lot's of respect for Pirates , if they hit like they did in 2004 this will be a slugfest. 2004 game was hardest hitting I've seen on this side of the Ohio River .... Looking forward to a dandy ... Devils will not get blown out by anyone ( Mercer included) to much skill and talent ....

 

I bet money on the O line we see Big Seth ... O Line needs some push ... Wouldn't surprise me to see him in power situations at guard - between Ethan and Toby or in an unbalance situation .... Kasey is a Power type back , with low mileage this year ... I look for Ivan to attempt to do some ground and pound.... Mixed in with passing , especially if Belfry's d line is small and quick ..

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.