Russell vs. Belfry

Cubster

Who wins?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This will be a classic...

This Belfry team is a different animal than the 2003, 2004, and 2005 teams. They are more fullback dependent, but I feel our backs hit the hole harder than any of the teams of the past few years.

Alot of people forget that Belfry returned ALOT of players from the team who was literally a "butt flinch" away from defeating Russell last year and probably winning the state title. Belfry doesn't have that true speedback like a Jones or Maynard, but I feel that this team is better at this point in time than the 2003 State Championship team and considerably better than last year's team.

Defensively Belfry is undersized compared to years past, but very quick getting to the ball. Our secondary still has mental collapses, but I feel this edition of the Belfry defensive backfield is the best of the previous years for coverage.

CANNOT WAIT for Friday!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A sidenote... I think Middlesboro could possibly have been one of the best possible teams for Belfry to beat for three reasons.

1) They were a very Senior laden team.. just like Russell.

2) They were much faster than us at the skill positions, just like Mercer

3) They spread us out and challenged our DB's, just like Owensboro Catholic

Belfry 51 40.48%

DeSales 10 7.94%

O-Cath 34 26.98%

Russell 31 24.60%

Voters: 126. This poll is closed

This was the poll from this time last year on who would win state championship? So you never know!!!

Go DEVILS!!!!:fire:

This Belfry team is a different animal than the 2003, 2004, and 2005 teams. They are more fullback dependent, but I feel our backs hit the hole harder than any of the teams of the past few years.

Alot of people forget that Belfry returned ALOT of players from the team who was literally a "butt flinch" away from defeating Russell last year and probably winning the state title. Belfry doesn't have that true speedback like a Jones or Maynard, but I feel that this team is better at this point in time than the 2003 State Championship team and considerably better than last year's team.

Defensively Belfry is undersized compared to years past, but very quick getting to the ball. Our secondary still has mental collapses, but I feel this edition of the Belfry defensive backfield is the best of the previous years for coverage.

CANNOT WAIT for Friday!

While I think Belfry has a good shot at winning this game, words can't express how much I disagree with the majority of this post.

Ultimately, teams are gaged by their wins/losses amongst their peers. That is fair. But comparing '03 to '06 is a bit extreme. Among their peers, thus far, they are equal. Other than that, I see no similarities what so ever.

Ill tell you this. Our backfield is stronger than it was last year when we played Russell. Maynard was hurt that game and was inefective. He played with all the heart in the world but was hurt. I feel we are defintley a better team than last year when we hold onto the ball. Our defense is what I like this year. When we make tackles our D is tuff. We are quick to the ball and make plays. We have sophmores that play like Seniors. I love this team I really feel they are something special about them. I think it is going to be fun Friday.

CANNOT WAIT for Friday!

Don't forget that Russell also returned ALOT of players from the team that did win the state title last year. And some of them are just now starting to get healthy. Friday should be a great game.

What a game this one should be. If my boys at JC werent still playing I'd be making the drive up to Belfry to watch this one. I have a ton of respect for both of these teams, and both have alot of poster who have shown support for JC while on its run, but I have to say that I hope the boys from Pond Creek can pull this one out. Although I would be just as happy is Russell won. Good luck to both teams and hope for an injury free game.:thumb:

How has Belfry's D Line faired against line with size. Also can your D line come off big people ,run down the wing t and make plays ... In 2004 you folks had a kid #37 - d line ,that wasn't very big but ran sideline to sideline and really got some good hits on Gross .. Is your line as talented as that kid ..

If Russell wins this year will be as last year Kasey and others as recievers. Belfry will take away the run .... Just like 2nd half of last year...

Jones can be the wild card in Troy Smith fashion , rolling with run/pass options .but he will have to be able to out run Mr May ... Looking forward to old fashion slug fest ... Between real programs that always have something ...