Religion and Population Control

It's God's world, it's his plan and he alone is in control. I'm not exactly a biblical scholar but I've believe that he told man to be fruitful and multiply, fill the Earth. If for whatever reason there is need to check the population, I believe God has many means by which he could do so.

I am not in favor of any government making laws or policy that dictate how many children someone is allowed to have or any methods to achieve this such as forced sterilization, abortion, euthanasia, etc.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's God's world, it's his plan and he alone is in control. I'm not exactly a biblical scholar but I've believe that he told man to be fruitful and multiply, fill the Earth. If for whatever reason there is need to check the population, I believe God has many means by which he could do so.

I am not in favor of any government making laws or policy that dictate how many children someone is allowed to have or any methods to achieve this such as forced sterilization, abortion, euthanasia, etc.

I agree with you that man should not dictate by law or otherwise to reduce the population. However, education and availability of birth control can have a positive impact. Thus the topic in religion.

J

I understand the bolded, I was asking about this statement that you made..."Maybe percentage, but not absolute."

Population growth is slowing, there is no debate. Will it continue to slow, who knows?

1% of 7 billion > 2% of 1 billion in absolute numbers.

I agree there are many pressing issues, and I believe population is one of them. It is not a quick fix either, and when it hits us in the face, it will be too late.

Somehow all I could think of was this episode from the original Star Trek.

I see your worries but I don't think there is a solution. It is the equation of time and the species of Humanity naturally reproducing.

I understand the bolded, I was asking about this statement that you made..."Maybe percentage, but not absolute."

Population growth is slowing, there is no debate. Will it continue to slow, who knows?

Historically speaking, wars and plagues have diminished the population in the past. Imagine the population if not for the Crusades, WW I and II? The Black Death, Influenza Epidemic, etc.

However, life expectancy is increasing while "fertility" (children per mother)is declining which is the good news. Regardless....projections are for 10 billion+ in only a few years. I believe many of the issues we have are the result of claiming resources to support population growth, thus deforestation, unhealthy GMO food supplies, soil fertility degradation, increases in sicknesses and mental health issues...possible dietary related, reduction in pollinators, extinctions, global hunger, and on and on which are magnified by uncontrolled growth.

I'll need to do some research, but I would bet that the primary correlating factor to birth rates falling in the first world is widespread economic growth across all classes of people. I believe there are a number of studies that can back this up. I have some problems with some of the global poverty-reduction numbers floating around these days, but I believe the data in developed countries is pretty strong.

In how many of the nations the highest birth rates are children still expected to be significant contributors to household work and income?

Real economic growth combined with advancements in individual productivity may be the only things that can possibly slow rates to the kind of levels you're looking for (barring some terrible calamity or widespread barbarism).

*UPDATE*

Nevermind, I quit. This research is too depressing.

Looked up the country with the highest birth rate in recent years. It's a country in Northern Africa. Approximately 43% of children between the ages of 5 and 14 work at least part time. However, the data remains unreliable because of the large sectors of the population engaged in hereditary slavery and the practice of some young girls born into slavery being sold as "fifth wives" between the ages of 9 and 11.

So you know what? I'm done here.

*UPDATE*

Nevermind, I quit. This research is too depressing.

Looked up the country with the highest birth rate in recent years. It's a country in Northern Africa. Approximately 43% of children between the ages of 5 and 14 work at least part time. However, the data remains unreliable because of the large sectors of the population engaged in hereditary slavery and the practice of some young girls born into slavery being sold as "fifth wives" between the ages of 9 and 11.

So you know what? I'm done here.

Thank you for participating anyway. And your research gets to some of my concerns, and it is those areas where growth and density of population lead or at least evidences a devaluation of human life in addition to the, at least local shortage of resources.

And churches, with best of intentions, send missionaries and support to these areas. However, my curiosity is if those churches that do not support education and birth contol serve the best interests of those people and humanity in general?

However, life expectancy is increasing while "fertility" (children per mother)is declining which is the good news. Regardless....projections are for 10 billion+ in only a few years. I believe many of the issues we have are the result of claiming resources to support population growth, thus deforestation, unhealthy GMO food supplies, soil fertility degradation, increases in sicknesses and mental health issues...possible dietary related, reduction in pollinators, extinctions, global hunger, and on and on which are magnified by uncontrolled growth.

Perhaps it's overly simplistic; but I've often said that deforestation is the most critical of those factors which support global population growth.

Perhaps it's overly simplistic; but I've often said that deforestation is the most critical of those factors which support global population growth.

That would be my primary concern as well. We are changing our ecosystem.

From Thomas Malthus to Paul Ehrlich to Al Gore and a host of doomsayers, mankind has managed to make gains to feed an ever increasing population. I will be among the first to say everything is anywhere near perfect. Overall mankind has seen an improvement in the standard of living for most people. Many who have not seen improvements are in totalitarian states. I believe mankind will make improvements economically, environmentally, socially and agriculturally to continue to make the world a better place to live.

J

1% of 7 billion > 2% of 1 billion in absolute numbers.

But it's not numbers that are that widespread.

Here is the actual population growth over the last few years...which is slowing by % and by total numbers.

2019 1.07% 81.7 million

2018 1.09% 82.5 million

2017 1.12% 83.2 Million

2016 1.14% 83.9 Million

2015 1.19% 84.9 Million

The forecast has the total growth by year dropping by 4 to 5 million every 5 years until at least 2050. The projected growth in 2050 is 53.5 million or around a .56% increase.

While the population will grow for the foreseeable future that growth is slowing substantially and will probably get to a net loss by 2100.