Who is the Leader for Miss Basketball?

Well that says it. You do believe your better to judge than the numerous D1 coaching staffs who disagree with you.

They livelihoods depend on getting it right, but you’ve seen them play so let’s go with your thoughts.

Thanks for helping me prove my point.

LOL don't get your feelings hurt. I am giving my opinion. I never said I knew more that college coaches. I have seen a lot of high D-1 players play for the last several years. King is a great player not taking anything away from her. Just my opinion of seeing them both play in person.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is ok to disagree and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I never said anything negative about any of these kids. They are all very good players, and I didn't point out that King was going to UK because it should not matter. This is for a KY HIGH SCHOOL award. Not a travel team nor a college team award including UK. Seems like you were offended that I put the stats out there but I wish I had the assist, steals, and blocks but those are not posted that I can find. Seygan Robbins may have been the best player last year I'm not debating that and I had no idea what her stats where until you posted them, but by your logic, seems to me that Mykassa Robinson should've been Miss Basketball since she had better stats , was a top 20 player in ESPN rankings (ahead of Robbins) since some people care about college potential for high school awards. Mykassa also went to Louisville. You have mistaken me posting their stats as a slight but I was simply offering them for all those candidates that had been mention by everyone else on this thread. I have not posted any players who should be considered, just asked the question. SOS does matter but it also depends on which polls or bias you have for those schools. I guess sometimes beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I am just glad these young ladies should have the opportunity to play at the next level and get their schooling paid for but that is a totally different subject!

It is ok to disagree and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I never said anything negative about any of these kids. They are all very good players, and I didn't point out that King was going to UK because it should not matter. This is for a KY HIGH SCHOOL award. Not a travel team nor a college team award including UK. Seems like you were offended that I put the stats out there but I wish I had the assist, steals, and blocks but those are not posted that I can find. Seygan Robbins may have been the best player last year I'm not debating that and I had no idea what her stats where until you posted them, but by your logic, seems to me that Mykassa Robinson should've been Miss Basketball since she had better stats , was a top 20 player in ESPN rankings (ahead of Robbins) since some people care about college potential for high school awards. Mykassa also went to Louisville. You have mistaken me posting their stats as a slight but I was simply offering them for all those candidates that had been mention by everyone else on this thread. I have not posted any players who should be considered, just asked the question. SOS does matter but it also depends on which polls or bias you have for those schools. I guess sometimes beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I am just glad these young ladies should have the opportunity to play at the next level and get their schooling paid for but that is a totally different subject!

I get what your saying. I think you maybe misunderstood some of what I meant. Of course it’s a “high school award” but college offers should factor into people’s opinions the same as stats, team success and strength of schedule. It’s like saying “it’s a high school award, not whoever has the best stats award”. Which is of course true also.

The biggest problem is that most if not all the voters (media and coaches? Or just coaches?) have a very small amount of actual in game action of the candidates. In my opinion the coaching staffs for the Kentucky colleges should vote and pick the winner. They have watched 100x more on court action for the top 10 candidates than anyone else. Unfortunately in girls basketball the media have a very small amount of viewed games. And then media and coaches probably usually vote their region just cause they aren’t sure or have only seen the girl near them. Doesn’t seem very fair?

I get what your saying. I think you maybe misunderstood some of what I meant. Of course it’s a “high school award” but college offers should factor into people’s opinions the same as stats, team success and strength of schedule. It’s like saying “it’s a high school award, not whoever has the best stats award”. Which is of course true also.

The biggest problem is that most if not all the voters (media and coaches? Or just coaches?) have a very small amount of actual in game action of the candidates. In my opinion the coaching staffs for the Kentucky colleges should vote and pick the winner. They have watched 100x more on court action for the top 10 candidates than anyone else. Unfortunately in girls basketball the media have a very small amount of viewed games. And then media and coaches probably usually vote their region just cause they aren’t sure or have only seen the girl near them. Doesn’t seem very fair?

That’s not a good idea at all. College coaches would give no credence to leadership and team success. They would just vote for players that are committed to their school. And any player committed out of state would be at a serious disadvantage to players committed in state. Terrible idea.

Lauren Schwartz

Savannah Wheeler

Courtney Hurst

Maliyah Owens

Emma King

Top 5 teams in Kentucky. The top 5 senior players in the state

All the names are intriguing to say the least. But Miss Basketball is not about college potential, interest, or where they are going to college. These are the stats posted on KHSAA website. These kids all play on good teams so that shouldn't play much of a factor either. If there are more contenders please list them I would love to compare their seasons!

Ashlee Harris- SHA 14.4 PPG and 3.1 rebounds

Mikayla Kinnard - Eastern 15.1 PPG 9.8 Rebounds

Savannah Wheeler - Boyd County 31 PPG 7.2 Rebounds

Emma King- Lincoln County 17.5 PPG 7.4 Rebounds

Maaliya Owens - Scott County 20.4 PPG 5.4 Rebounds

Lauren Schwartz- Ryle 19.1 PPG and 7 Rebounds

Hayley Harrison- GRC 14.6 PPG 4.8 Rebounds

Kiara Pearl - Eastern 18.6 PPG 5.5 Rebounds

So, in your opinion, who is the leader at this point for Miss Basketball?

We will have to agree to disagree that college commitments or offers, play a factor in who should win Miss Basketball. I do not know who gets a vote for this award, however, I do agree that voters should take the time to watch a lot of basketball especially for those candidates. KY Premier is an outstanding nationally recognized program, a member of the prestigious Nike GEYBL. Hence the reason they have so many past winners and big time players, but this may the first time out the past several years one of their girls doesn't win the award. There is a lot of basketball left to play and still some big tourneys left to watch!

We will have to agree to disagree that college commitments or offers, play a factor in who should win Miss Basketball. I do not know who gets a vote for this award, however, I do agree that voters should take the time to watch a lot of basketball especially for those candidates. KY Premier is an outstanding nationally recognized program, a member of the prestigious Nike GEYBL. Hence the reason they have so many past winners and big time players, but this may the first time out the past several years one of their girls doesn't win the award. There is a lot of basketball left to play and still some big tourneys left to watch!

Problem with this statement is the ballots are out and voting ends before the District Tourney starts. I believe that to be correct and if I'm wrong I apologize.

I wish it was after the Regionals at least but I don't think that is the case.

Allow me to ask again, at this juncture in the proceedings, who do YOU believe should be the leader for Miss Basketball?

I don't get a vote but my top three as of now would be: Lauren Schwartz, Savannah Wheeler, and Emma King. They would be my front runners. All three have good teams with good schedules. I haven't seen all girls that have been mentioned play this year but I have seen most of them and I hope to make it to the LIT to watch a lot of these top candidates play. I do wish they voted for all awards after the state tourney was finished.

That’s not a good idea at all. College coaches would give no credence to leadership and team success. They would just vote for players that are committed to their school. And any player committed out of state would be at a serious disadvantage to players committed in state. Terrible idea.

Lauren Schwartz

Savannah Wheeler

Courtney Hurst

Maliyah Owens

Emma King

Top 5 teams in Kentucky. The top 5 senior players in the state

Glad to see someone include Courtney Hurst of Conner. She has really stepped up her game this year and has become the leader of a very talented team. Ive had the pleasure of watching Courtney since she was an 8th grader. She is definitely deserving of some state wide recognition.

It would be interesting to see Lauren Schwartz take the same amount of shots that some of the others take, I don’t think she shoots nearly enough

This shows well the point of the surrounding players and strength of schedule impact. Schwartz’s stats are better in every category but because Wheeler has 30 ppg she could get the award. We only affirm to young players to get on a bad team with an east schedule and play selfish!

Schwartz shoots 14 shots per game. Schwartz has two players on her team also that shoot, one that shoots 12.6 per game and another that shoots 9.7.

Wheeler shoots 23.5 shots per game! Her shooting percentages (against easier defenses) is worse is every category than Schwartz. Painter who is a high level player only shoots 11 shots per game. Maybe the head coach is trying a little too hard to make Wheeler look good. How does a player as good as Painter shoot less than half the shots Wheeler does. And now Wheeler gets rewarded for taking all the shots instead of others with a Miss Basketball award?

Somethings not right here...