Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cleveland Browns Next Head Football Coach

Featured Replies

Lots of the talking heads have been talking about the attractiveness of the open HC positions. The ones I've heard seem to be pretty evenly split between the Browns and the Packers.

 

The only time I heard one get into any detail with the Bengals made specific reference to things like "organizational structure and support".

Browns reporter Mary Lou Cabot is saying that the Browns will hire offensive coordinator Freddie Kitchens.

 

If he got the job. It would be interesting who he would have as his DC. I think it would be weird to go from Greg William's the intern head coach, and then the next year they reverse roles. Kitchens the head coach and William's back to DC. I would have to assume William's would be gone then.

If he got the job. It would be interesting who he would have as his DC. I think it would be weird to go from Greg William's the intern head coach, and then the next year they reverse roles. Kitchens the head coach and William's back to DC. I would have to assume William's would be gone then.

 

Maybe he would be gone with a chip on his shoulder and ready to bring some attitude to that Cincy D! I'd take him in a heart beat as DC here. He'd have the chance to beat the Browns twice a year.

Did anyone really expect the Browns to bring in a marquee name? Come on. I get that they have Mayfield and won some games vs non playoff teams but temper expectations. The serious interest of the two names to start the thread never materialized

 

They are expected to get the best available coach. That doesn't mean it will be a marquee name.

 

The Browns did not have any interest in Josh McDaniels. He was never contacted by them. Asked if he thought it was due to his stiffing the Colts, McDaniels said "you'd have to ask them." I think the Browns are more interested in the Patriots DC than they are in their OC.

 

As for McCarthy, he has a history with three executives in the Browns organization, GM John Dorsey, Assistant GM Eliot Wolfe, and Personnel guy Alonzo Highsmith. A Packers reporter said that the Browns contacted McCarthy this week and the Browns things on hold while they talk to other candidates. If McCarthy was the guy the Browns had to have, they would have offered him at the beginning. He was without a job and 3 guys in the Cleveland organization worked with him in the past, including Dorsey who is in charge of the coaching search.

 

So when you say the "interest never materialized" you are right, but it may not be from the direction you assumed. Believe it or not, the Cleveland position is very attractive to coaches right now.

Ok Thanks Old Grappler for the knowledge on the new Browns front office. I was just going from how the thread started with McDaniels and McCarthy having serious interest in the job. What you say may be true but in my opinion they are going to miss out on the three top names available in McCarthy, McDaniels and Arians. Maybe by design who knows. Kitchens looks like the pick for them due to their success the last month or so of the season. Let's see if they can keep the momentum going.

I'm all for Freddie Kitchens if that's what Dorsey chooses. As other coaching vacancies are filled at the moment and yet the Browns still haven't selected their coach - that tells me it's an internal guy or another coach on a playoff team that's still alive. In Dorsey we trust.

Ok Thanks Old Grappler for the knowledge on the new Browns front office. I was just going from how the thread started with McDaniels and McCarthy having serious interest in the job. What you say may be true but in my opinion they are going to miss out on the three top names available in McCarthy, McDaniels and Arians. Maybe by design who knows. Kitchens looks like the pick for them due to their success the last month or so of the season. Let's see if they can keep the momentum going.

 

Apparently, the Browns have some interest in McCarthy, but on back burner, no interest in McDaniels, and no interest in Arians. See the Bucs hire Arians thread for my post there. Arians stated publicly that Cleveland was the only HC job he'd leave retirement for. He wanted the job and said so publicly. I would have been good with that because he and Kitchens would have worked well together. They have in the past.

 

So, it's not that the Browns pursued those three with fervor and missed out. They have intentionally chosen to go a different direction, at least for now (McCarthy is still in the hopper). I agree with you that any one of the three would have been a good choice but for his own reasons, Dorsey has not pursued them.

 

I think @Mediocre Nachos may be on to something in post #21.

 

And I, too, am willing to let Dorsey make his choice. His decisions have been pretty good so far. I wasn't sure about Mayfield going #1 but it looks like he got that one right.

Such a lazy hire for the Browns. I can’t believe they just promoted Kitchens.

Such a lazy hire for the Browns. I can’t believe they just promoted Kitchens.

 

It was very Bengal like. Using success at the end of a season, to make a decision for the next season. It usually hasn't worked out well for the Bengals, hopefully it doesn't work out well for the Browns either.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.