Does anyone use the 2 point per week fantasy scoring?

Bobby Axelrod

In the main league I play in we have been discussing switching the way we do our weekly wins and losses. I'm not sure if any of the fantasy platforms have the capability to do this yet but I have heard some in the fantasy industry say the commissioner can manually do it.

So essentially each team has the opportunity to get 2 points (wins) each week. If you win your head to head match up during the week you get a point. If your total points scored for the week is in the top half of the league you get a point.

For example if it is a 12 team league and I win my match up and am in the top 6 in total points scored for the week I will go 2-0 on the week. This compensates for those brutal weeks where your team scores 140 but your opponent scores 142 and punishes those teams who win a week 77-75.

Example:

Team 1 (140) vs Team 2 (142)

Team 3 (110) vs Team 4 (87)

Team 5 (88) vs Team 6 (95)

Team 7 (113) vs Team 8 (101)

Team 9 (77) vs Team 10 (75)

Team 11 (121) vs Team 12 (120)

On the week each team record is as follows:

Team 1: 1-1

Team 2: 2-0

Team 3: 2-0

Team 4: 0-2

Team 5: 0-2

Team 6: 1-1

Team 7: 2-0

Team 8: 0-2

Team 9: 1-1

Team 10: 0-2

Team 11: 2-0

Team 12: 1-1

Does anybody else do this? Hopefully my explanation was clear enough.

The object is to beat your opponent by any means necessary, and while we all hate (and have all been there) having the 2nd most points one week but taking a loss, I still think it is the best way to do it. This other method sounds a little hokey to me. So West Virginia and LSU would have picked up wins last week for scoring 50+ and getting beat? I mean, that just seems preposterous.

The tough losses and the semi-lucky (77-75) wins all even out, just make the post-season and hope you have guys on teams that still want them out there.

I’ve heard of it before, but it was called victory points. I really like the look of it. Finding a way to do head to head while not making it unfair is always an issue with fantasy football. After all, you don’t get to play defense on your opponent. One of my leagues does it where there are eight playoff spots, top two W/L in three divisions take up six spots, last two go to top points outside of those teams. That way if you dominate in points but get super unlucky you probably still make the postseason. Then we seed by total points.

The object is to beat your opponent by any means necessary, and while we all hate (and have all been there) having the 2nd most points one week but taking a loss, I still think it is the best way to do it. This other method sounds a little hokey to me. So West Virginia and LSU would have picked up wins last week for scoring 50+ and getting beat? I mean, that just seems preposterous.

The tough losses and the semi-lucky (77-75) wins all even out, just make the post-season and hope you have guys on teams that still want them out there.

The difference is that West Virginia and LSU had opportunities to play defense against their opponent. There’s nothing you can do to affect your opponent in fantasy. If the schedule dictates it, you just get beaten up, nothing you can do. In one of my leagues I’m 2nd overall in points and 8-4. I’ve had third most points scored against me. With one other teams schedule, I’d be 11-1 and would have started 10-0. On another (in my division no less), I’d be 4-7-1 and eliminated from the postseason. My team wouldn’t change, only who I randomly matched against. To me, that’s not really acceptable and it certainly wouldn’t have evened out.

The difference is that West Virginia and LSU had opportunities to play defense against their opponent. There’s nothing you can do to affect your opponent in fantasy. If the schedule dictates it, you just get beaten up, nothing you can do. In one of my leagues I’m 2nd overall in points and 8-4. I’ve had third most points scored against me. With one other teams schedule, I’d be 11-1 and would have started 10-0. On another (in my division no less), I’d be 4-7-1 and eliminated from the postseason. My team wouldn’t change, only who I randomly matched against. To me, that’s not really acceptable and it certainly wouldn’t have evened out.

It may not have evened out this year, but can you remember clearly all of the other years where you had a winning record and were near the bottom in points? That was my point, not that it would even out within the same season. Anyone can create any league they want, no worries, just have to be able to find 9 or 11 or 13 others who think it is a good idea.

I've played in the same H2H fantasy baseball league for 20 years, there have been a ton of weeks where I had the 2nd most points and lost, but there have also been a lot of weeks where I've had the 2nd fewest points and won...just part of the deal.

It may not have evened out this year, but can you remember clearly all of the other years where you had a winning record and were near the bottom in points? That was my point, not that it would even out within the same season. Anyone can create any league they want, no worries, just have to be able to find 9 or 11 or 13 others who think it is a good idea.

I've played in the same H2H fantasy baseball league for 20 years, there have been a ton of weeks where I had the 2nd most points and lost, but there have also been a lot of weeks where I've had the 2nd fewest points and won...just part of the deal.

To me, just because you're used to it being that way, doesn't mean it's correct. I think people are always striving to find the most equitable way of doing it. It's why my favorite league pays out the most money to the team that finishes the year with the most points. They manged their team the best over the year, not always (or even often) the team that got lucky at just the right spot to navigate the playoffs to win the Super Bowl. That pays out a good sum as well, just not considered our top prize.

And sure, there have been years where the schedule benefited me. All that typically means is that there was a year where my mediocrity was rewarded while another year my excellence was washed away needlessly. There's a lot of elements of luck in fantasy football - I think the goal is to introduce as many measures against it to provide for skill to be rewarded.

Incredibly, I play in two leagues, and I've experienced both sides just this season. In the BGP league, I was #3 overall in points in my conference, and finished 6-6 and out of the playoffs. In my other league, I'm second to last in total points(out of 12) and currently 8-4 and in 4th place overall. I've been playing FF over 20 years, and it seems like there's somebody in this situation in my leagues every year.

For :poop::poop::poop: and giggles, and mainly because I was curious, I ran the BGP league this method to see what would change. Here is what I found:

1) Both #1 seeds would change

2) One division winner would change

3) Two teams in the Nation Conference would have made the playoffs

4) Also meaning two teams that made the playoffs would be out

5) All games where win and you win the conference, or win and you make the playoffs wouldn't have happened

6) One team that was win and you are in the playoffs would have went to the toilet bowl

7) one of the toilet bowl participants would have changed