Wisconson's Coach is Brilliant!!!

cshs81

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many times will we now see this "kickoff/offsides" scenario this season?

Until a new rule is put in IMMEDIATELY, I can't imagine why any coaches wouldn't do it.

Wacky scenario:

This weekend, what if Duke scores on its opening drive at Boston College and then proceeds to do this for the remainder of the half. Then they do it again in the second half? They would win, right? I know that would be shady and stupid, but if the object is to win and you are a far inferior team on the road, wouldn't it at least cross your mind? That's why the new rule is a major negative.

Until a new rule is put in IMMEDIATELY, I can't imagine why any coaches wouldn't do it.

Wacky scenario:

This weekend, what if Duke scores on its opening drive at Boston College and then proceeds to do this for the remainder of the half. Then they do it again in the second half? They would win, right? I know that would be shady and stupid, but if the object is to win and you are a far inferior team on the road, wouldn't it at least cross your mind? That's why the new rule is a major negative.

Obviously, there's a line there somewhere so your scenario would never happen.

Obviously, there's a line there somewhere so your scenario would never happen.

Oh, I know there's a line. Hopefully no coach would ever do that, anyway. But under the rules, how would the referees "legally" be able to stop something like that from happening?

Oh, I know there's a line. Hopefully no coach would ever do that, anyway. But under the rules, how would the referees "legally" be able to stop something like that from happening?

I'm not sure if there's a rule they could invoke.

The opposing coach could stop that scenerio by accepting the offsides penality at the end of the run.

5. Offside by Team A on a free kick may be enforced from the previous

spot or from the spot where the dead ball belongs to Team B after

Team B’s run (Rule 6-1-2-a).

The great thing about the Wisconsin coach's stragety is not only does it waste time, but by having his cover team so far down field prior to the ball being kicked it prevents the receiving team from getting a good return. I guess JoePa didn't figure out what was going on at first and elected to rekick in hopes of better field position.

At the UK/Georgia game on Saturday, Georgia was offsides on a kickoff (that went into the endzone) and Kentucky chose to take the five-yard penalty at the start of the drive. The referees placed the ball on the 25-yard line (five yards beyond the normal touchback start) and the game proceeded. Most coaches would probably do that in an effort to curtail this.

The opposing coach could stop that scenerio by accepting the offsides penality at the end of the run.

5. Offside by Team A on a free kick may be enforced from the previous

spot or from the spot where the dead ball belongs to Team B after

Team B’s run (Rule 6-1-2-a).

The great thing about the Wisconsin coach's stragety is not only does it waste time, but by having his cover team so far down field prior to the ball being kicked it prevents the receiving team from getting a good return. I guess JoePa didn't figure out what was going on at first and elected to rekick in hopes of better field position.

On the first kick, the last guy on the kickoff team was at least 5 yards downfield before the kicker kicked it. The returner got to the 10. Not a very good set of options for the return team -waste time and re-kick or take it at the 15.

At the UK/Georgia game on Saturday, Georgia was offsides on a kickoff (that went into the endzone) and Kentucky chose to take the five-yard penalty at the start of the drive. The referees placed the ball on the 25-yard line (five yards beyond the normal touchback start) and the game proceeded. Most coaches would probably do that in an effort to curtail this.

Tell your kicker to kick it high but not in the end zone and the return team is in a predicament assuming the kicking team can tackle.

On the first kick, the last guy on the kickoff team was at least 5 yards downfield before the kicker kicked it. The returner got to the 10. Not a very good set of options for the return team -waste time and re-kick or take it at the 15.

I agree that it is not a very good option, but under the current set of rules it is a way to get the ball, and undermine the Duke scenerio outlined above.

You could wait to kick it until your coverage team is standing right in front

of the return man. Maybe it would limit them to 0 return yards.

Or what would happen if you waited until your return team was down there and your return team catches it. What would be the results of the penalty? I think the receiving team would accept the penalty, but it would have to be a re-kick.