UL 44 WVU 34

gametime

If your claim to being a competitive conference is accepting that you're not even in the top SIX conferences - then you're not that good. The whole argument about L'ville winning out and been deserving of a #2 ranking stems from the lack of competition they've played this season. You are correct - The question is over. We now see the Big East has a ways to go to get to the status of a Top-Tier conference. Right now, they're middle-of-the-road at best.

They're one of the top six and deserving of an automatic BCS bid. Period. That's what I'm saying. The top teams in the conference are very good. And the depth of the conference is better than many people thought, including myself.

What in the world are you trying to argue? That the Big East isn't as good as the SEC? I don't think a person on here yet has said otherwise. But, just because that is true doesn't make the winner of the Big East any less deserving of what they get.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you should check into UC a bit more. Would you call tO$U an offensive power? I would, and the UC D played a fantastic game. The O stalling and forcing them to defend a short field killed them late, but if you watched the game you know their talent. They also played very well against Va Tech and UL. All three games were on the road. And the UC SOS is #20 with WVU and Rutgers still left to go...

Not bad for Cincinnati. Now, how about the other 7 teams in the conference...

Top Offenses - Those teams are playing pitiful defenses.

Top Defenses - What offensive powers have Cincinnati and Rutgers played? I seen Rutgers, and I agree. That defense was all over Brohm.

I challenge you to post the Big East schedule on here. Compare that to an S.E.C. schedule. Big difference. Actually, it may be easier to get a Strength of Schedule rating. Anyone know how to get that?

NFL Connections - Can you seriously only name ONE school in the ENTIRE conference with NFL players? That's sad.

Louisville has had 10 drafted in the last two years...WVU and Louisville both have a bunch right now...Rutgers at least 3 that I can think of...we are talking now...and the WHOLE season...the SEC is nice....but they are also seen as being better because of history, no more, no less.

The Big East is better than a middle of the road conference. Are they as good top to bottom, year in year out as the SEC or the Big 11? No they're not and I think you'd be hard pressed to find many Big East supporters that would try to make that argument. As an SEC supporter I can assure you that UL, WVU and Rutgers have my respect. The rest of the league may not be quite as good but Cincinnati, Pitt, and South Florida are very competitive only UConn and Syracuse are really struggling. Even at that UConn has done pretty well considering their short time in D1. I would take the Big East over the ACC and the Big 12 this year. There really should be no debate on whether the Big East deserves its BCS spot, this is a good league.

The Big East is better than a middle of the road conference. Are they as good top to bottom, year in year out as the SEC or the Big 11? No they're not and I think you'd be hard pressed to find many Big East supporters that would try to make that argument. As an SEC supporter I can assure you that UL, WVU and Rutgers have my respect. The rest of the league may not be quite as good but Cincinnati, Pitt, and South Florida are very competitive only UConn and Syracuse are really struggling. Even at that UConn has done pretty well considering their short time in D1. I would take the Big East over the ACC and the Big 12 this year. There really should be no debate on whether the Big East deserves its BCS spot, this is a good league.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

...the SEC is nice....but they are also seen as being better because of history, no more, no less.

Likely argument by a Big East supporter, but I don't buy it. If the BEast teams want respect, the Top in the BEast need to start playing the Top teams in the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, etc. year in and year out.

Have UL, WVA, Rutgers, etc. play (& beat) OSU, Texas, USC, UM, UF, etc. That is the only way that the BEast gets the respect it's due. You may not get a home/home with them, but beat them a few times, and the rules start changing.

It does those teams no good to play the weaker teams (ie. UK) and beat them.

Likely argument by a Big East supporter, but I don't buy it. If the BEast teams want respect, the Top in the BEast need to start playing the Top teams in the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, etc. year in and year out.

Have UL, WVA, Rutgers, etc. play (& beat) OSU, Texas, USC, UM, UF, etc. That is the only way that the BEast gets the respect it's due. You may not get a home/home with them, but beat them a few times, and the rules start changing.

Good luck to Louisville trying to get the top teams in the SEC to play them. And, the fact that a "top" team won't agree to a home and home speaks volumes...if you're willing to listen. To borrow a famous sentence, he who has ears, let him hear.

Louisville has all the respect they need. It's on them to take care of business now, and they didn't do it last night. I doubt it will be their last chance.

Louisville has had 10 drafted in the last two years...WVU and Louisville both have a bunch right now...Rutgers at least 3 that I can think of...we are talking now...and the WHOLE season...the SEC is nice....but they are also seen as being better because of history, no more, no less.

Bearcats in the NFL...

Per ESPN:

Blue Adams Cornerback Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Antonio Chatman Wide Receiver Cincinnati Bengals

Trent Cole Defensive End Philadelphia Eagles

Troy Evans Linebacker Houston Texans

Jason Fabini Offensive Tackle Dallas Cowboys

Andre Frazier Linebacker Cincinnati Bengals

Tyjuan Hagler Linebacker Indianapolis Colts

Artrell Hawkins Cornerback New England Patriots

Daven Holly Cornerback Cleveland Browns

Antwan Peek Defensive End Houston Texans

Robert Tate Cornerback Arizona Cardinals

Mike Wright Defensive Tackle New England Patriots

It does those teams no good to play the weaker teams (ie. UK) and beat them.

If teams from other top conferences (Like Georgia Tech) would stop dropping Louisville from home and home; If Louisville didn't have recent home-and-homes with the two of the three Florida powers ( FSU and Miami); If more schools would man up and TRY to schedule Louisville (like Georgia with a home-and-home to start in the next few years) then maybe you'd have a point.

The problem is, traditional powers don't like to schedule home-and-home. For one thing, they make too much money demanding that one team travel to play them with no return date. Lord knows that the SEC powers rarely play home and homes, take for example the SEC's number of out of conference BCS-opponent road victories this season: 1. Vandy over Duke is the ONLY ONE.

Old power conference:

"You can't be a power or get respect until you start scheduling home and home with top schools"

New power conference:

"Ok, lets go. When should we do it?"

Old power conference:

"What? Us home and home with you? No thanks. Ha!"

Sound fair to you? Nah, me either.

If teams from other top conferences (Like Georgia Tech) would stop dropping Louisville from home and home; If Louisville didn't have recent home-and-homes with the two of the three Florida powers ( FSU and Miami); If more schools would man up and TRY to schedule Louisville (like Georgia with a home-and-home to start in the next few years) then maybe you'd have a point.

The problem is, traditional powers don't like to schedule home-and-home. For one thing, they make too much money demanding that one team travel to play them with no return date. Lord knows that the SEC powers rarely play home and homes, take for example the SEC's number of out of conference BCS-opponent road victories this season: 1. Vandy over Duke is the ONLY ONE.

Old power conference:

"You can't be a power or get respect until you start scheduling home and home with top schools"

New power conference:

Old power conference:

You've nailed this one. The schools in the power conferences with the 75-100,000 seat stadiums just simply won't schedule home and home series very often unless its with a traditional rival. They have to much to lose financially and in the rankings if they lose. It isn't fair at all but big time college football is a business and that's the way it is. Its a double edged sword, go on the road to play the top teams and have less of a chance to win or schedule home games with lesser teams and get criticized for your schedule. Either way is a tough way to go.

Old power conference:

New power conference:

Old power conference:

I didn't say it was fair, I said it was the only way for the Big East to get over the slighting. The major conference schools don't need to play BEast teams on the road, they have nothing to gain. Big East teams will NOT get the respect they deserve until they bolster their OOC schedule. If you can't get a home and home, play them on the road. Playing and beating MTSU, Temple, UK, etc. is not going to get you the respect you desire. It's a sacrifice that you need to make if you really want to take your program (& conference) to the next level.