Bowling Green 24 Saint Xavier 21 (OT)

TheDeuce

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got home. Best. Ugliest game I have seen in a while.

Purples drop 2 different TD passes as well as a pick 6 that was called back. Three touchdowns erased! Of the three games we’ve played. We have had 7 TDs either called back or just simply blown. I don’t think I’ve seen that many - Purples need to fix that

Big win that I am afraid will prove costly with the injury bug. Three different Purples went down for the count throughout game. Hoping they can recover

Perhaps the worst 1st half the Purples has played in quite some time. Again. 3 negated TDs didn’t help anything.

St X, for 2 weeks, plotted, planned and schemed how to stop Vito Tisdale. Dude still did his thing. I’m guessing more than 200 all purpose yards (3 TDS) I’ve said it for a few years now but he is truly the best player BGHS has ever had. Until you see him in person, you probably just won’t understand.

2nd half Purples caught a break or two with the refs. Not saying they were good or bad calls but 1in particular allowed Purples chance to get win (X called for roughing punter). Speaking of punting, Purples may have a D1 punter in super sophomore, Eli Burwash

Hoping some healing can take place for Purples this week. We have 1 more tough game next Friday then we get 3 teams that Purples should be able to handle before heading into the end of the season gauntlet

St X fans - easy for me to say cause it’s not my team but remember this statement, “It always quits raining.” Brighter days are ahead. Patience. Unfortunately, sometimes it’s easy to kick somebody when their down. Again, patience. Lots of Purples are now rooting for you guys. Wallace has to get some more players that will improve your team speed. I would bet the top 6 fastest guys on the field were all Purples. He will get it figured out

Huge (ugly) win. We’ll take it

Go Purples!

Just got home. Best. Ugliest game I have seen in a while.

Purples drop 2 different TD passes as well as a pick 6 that was called back. Three touchdowns erased! Of the three games we’ve played. We have had 7 TDs either called back or just simply blown. I don’t think I’ve seen that many - Purples need to fix that

Big win that I am afraid will prove costly with the injury bug. Three different Purples went down for the count throughout game. Hoping they can recover

Perhaps the worst 1st half the Purples has played in quite some time. Again. 3 negated TDs didn’t help anything.

St X, for 2 weeks, plotted, planned and schemed how to stop Vito Tisdale. Dude still did his thing. I’m guessing more than 200 all purpose yards (3 TDS) I’ve said it for a few years now but he is truly the best player BGHS has ever had. Until you see him in person, you probably just won’t understand.

2nd half Purples caught a break or two with the refs. Not saying they were good or bad calls but 1in particular allowed Purples chance to get win (X called for roughing punter). Speaking of punting, Purples may have a D1 punter in super sophomore, Eli Burwash

Hoping some healing can take place for Purples this week. We have 1 more tough game next Friday then we get 3 teams that Purples should be able to handle before heading into the end of the season gauntlet

St X fans - easy for me to say cause it’s not my team but remember this statement, “It always quits raining.” Brighter days are ahead. Patience. Unfortunately, sometimes it’s easy to kick somebody when their down. Again, patience. Lots of Purples are now rooting for you guys. Wallace has to get some more players that will improve your team speed. I would bet the top 6 fastest guys on the field were all Purples. He will get it figured out

Huge (ugly) win. We’ll take it

Go Purples!

Your statement about speed is right on. St. X just doesn't have any speed on offense.

WOW.....that’s all I can say. Got back to BG at 2 am this morning, but wanted to wait until this morning to do a write-up.

Coach Spader should be so proud of himself, his staff and his team. Those guys had everything in the world going against them after the first half and they not only climbed back in the game, but they were able to find away to win.

Props go out to Vito Tisdale. That kid is all-in at the running back spot. Not just his talent level, but his effort in all phases is flat out impressive. The kid wants the ball and he wants to win.

Bowling Green was the better team last night. If it wasn’t for a case of the dropsy and a rogue official Bowling Green wins that game by three touchdowns. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a team continually drop wide open passes. But the Purples did, over and over again. Can’t really explain it, but they caught them when they counted in the end I guess.

Now onto this “rogue” offficial. I try not to be too hard on the officials but I realize it’s high school and it’s not easy. But there was one particular official that should be called into the principal’s office, have his performance tape reviewed and sent back down to doing junior high games. This guy either had it out for Bowling Green or was a complete incompetent bozo. And being his incompetence only hurt Bowling Green logic dictates one way.

Another observation I took away is that Saint X just didn’t have the horses. Maybe that’s why the other coach left or was fired, but the talent level on that team was subpar of a top tier team who can openly recruit players. Their entire backfield was slow, I didn’t see anything special about the QB. I know he was hobbling around most of the second half, but if they don’t have a backup who is better than that QB on one leg, I don’t know what to say.

Saint X is going to have find a way to bring in some better talent at key positions if they want to compete on the top tier level.

Also props to Bowling Green for being able to handle the massive continuous rotation of fresh legs being thrown at them. I know it’s not anything new, but St. X was rotating 5,6,7 guys in like every other play on defense. And BG just didn’t seem to get tired.

Also want to send out a shout out to the Saint X faithful. Every time I go up there for a game they are always some of the nicest people. The facility is great, the people working the event are super nice and helpful. They keep everything safe and flowing. And the St. X parents/fans are always so nice. They always talk to us and are just nice people. I couldn’t keep up with the number of people who wished us a safe journey home after the game. I think they get a bad rap because I’ve always heard they aren’t that way. But I’ve been up there for every game Bowling Green has played them and they are always so, so nice. And as a visiting fan I appreciate that. You don’t always see that.

I think it's more them adjusting to a new HC than being "down." As P88 said, they do not look comfortable on offense, at all.

They only returned 1 starter on offense and I was concerned about O-line going into season. I think they do a decent job pass blocking, but run blocking not good. Unless offfense gets better it will be a long season.

Bad flow to the game. X’s inability to be effective in the running game is and will haunt them. They have pretty good intermediate game, but don’t have that speed guy who can take in the distance with a quick screen or a true deep threat. #9 is probably the best option but doesn’t seem to be a top target. Transition period has probably not been what anyone thought, but coach Wallace will get it going. Interesting statement that was made in the paper, not a lot of investment made by some people. I think that says a lot about the direction of the program over the last 5 years.

At the end of the day BG has the best player on the field and he made some big plays.

“Saint X is going to have find a way to bring in some better talent at key positions if they want to compete on the top tier level.”

While I agree that more talent would help, I think it is more important to run an offensive system that better fits and utilizes the players that they have. Wisconsin and Stanford are two shining examples. They are programs that know who they are and play to their strengths. And they are very successful doing so. Imagine what they would be like if they tried to run a spread system with the type of players they get. Coach Wallace is a very good coach, and his system fit the talents at Bowling Green perfectly. I’m just not sure it fits St. X. Sometimes you have to run what you need to run as opposed to what you want to run.

“Saint X is going to have find a way to bring in some better talent at key positions if they want to compete on the top tier level.”

While I agree that more talent would help, I think it is more important to run an offensive system that better fits and utilizes the players that they have. Wisconsin and Stanford are two shining examples. They are programs that know who they are and play to their strengths. And they are very successful doing so. Imagine what they would be like if they tried to run a spread system with the type of players they get. Coach Wallace is a very good coach, and his system fit the talents at Bowling Green perfectly. I’m just not sure it fits St. X. Sometimes you have to run what you need to run as opposed to what you want to run.

I that’s why Glaser was so successful with the option offense. The Freshman class has the type of players for Wallace’s system. I believe they will get more players like that in the future.

I’m not in the know of all the ins and outs of private schoool recruiting but with the big lineman that X seems to have every year, Wallace only needs 3 or 4 speedsters on each side of the ball.

Did you see Tisdale last night (#7) - a speedster like that in a system like Wallace’s is difficult to stop. If Wallace can go find a small handful of speedsters it seems to me like the perfect fit.

BG doesn’t always have the line but always has the speed

X always has the line - so just go get the speed!

Keep in mind Wallace changed his entire playbook based upon needs at BG. From 90s to 06-07 he was options offense. He did not go to the spread until Trent Steelman came about. After Trent BG has had a good following of passing QBs. My point here is Wallace can/will adjust and is not too headstrong not too. It's season 1 at X. Took him a decade to build what BG became over the last decade.

I’m not in the know of all the ins and outs of private schoool recruiting but with the big lineman that X seems to have every year, Wallace only needs 3 or 4 speedsters on each side of the ball.

Did you see Tisdale last night (#7) - a speedster like that in a system like Wallace’s is difficult to stop. If Wallace can go find a small handful of speedsters it seems to me like the perfect fit.

BG doesn’t always have the line but always has the speed

X always has the line - so just go get the speed!

KHSAA says they can only recruit the Catholic schools because they are considered feeder schools to Catholic High Schools. Catholic grade school football teams are dwindling due to concussion worries and other kids playing other sports like lacrosse. They are going to have to increasingly attract public school kids like Trinity has been able to do.

They only returned 1 starter on offense and I was concerned about O-line going into season. I think they do a decent job pass blocking, but run blocking not good. Unless offfense gets better it will be a long season.

Keep in mind Wallace changed his entire playbook based upon needs at BG. From 90s to 06-07 he was options offense. He did not go to the spread until Trent Steelman came about. After Trent BG has had a good following of passing QBs. My point here is Wallace can/will adjust and is not too headstrong not too. It's season 1 at X. Took him a decade to build what BG became over the last decade.

THIS!!!!

Our society is SO right now!

So let me put it in this light: New Coach, New offense, don't know any of the players but for 6 months, return 1 starter on offense (off a state semi-final team that had a ton of seniors on it) and you are supposed to knock off all-comers that have many more starters returning.

Tough sled to pull!

Tyler's point above is also valid. Many changes have been made at BG over the years to fit the personel.