Bowling Green 24 Saint Xavier 21 (OT)

TheDeuce

Currently we play one underclassman on offense- right tackle Brown. So next year we will have the same issue. We have lost two games by three points each so it's not like we are getting destroyed by our opponents. However, it seems like we are getting physically beaten in the 4th quarter by teams with less depth. That is concerning.

The offense seems to have no flow to it. Almost like we are trying to run too many plays. I remember going to a coaching clinic and Coach Glaser said be great at five plays and run them out of different sets. I believe in Coach Wallace but something just doesn't feel "right" at this time.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently we play one underclassman on offense- right tackle Brown. So next year we will have the same issue. We have lost two games by three points each so it's not like we are getting destroyed by our opponents. However, it seems like we are getting physically beaten in the 4th quarter by teams with less depth. That is concerning.

The offense seems to have no flow to it. Almost like we are trying to run too many plays. I remember going to a coaching clinic and Coach Glaser said be great at five plays and run them out of different sets. I believe in Coach Wallace but something just doesn't feel "right" at this time.

These are good points! The one thing I would say about the flow to the offense was IMO there was no flow to the game. A BIG piece of that was the officiating crew last night. Example: A flag was thrown and play was stopped. The ref threw the flag for too many men on the field. Problem was BG had 11 guys out there. The flag was then picked up. My point was that seems very minor but it disrupted the rhythm of X's "flow" to the offense. There were multiple times where flags were picked up last night and also time was called by the officials to work it out I guess, I simply don't know. Very frustrating for both offenses really.

I agree with this however this is a new dynamic all together this year. You need to understand your talent pool to know those five base plays. Also you need stability at QB. First game back up, second game starter, second half second game starter with sprained ankle. From what I saw they ran alot of similar quick release patterns from similar formations with poor execution. I am no head coach and am not the most knowledgeable x and o kind of guy but I do understand repetition and habit forming and there is just too many new variables at this moment. If we are still having these conversations this time next year you can send Wallace back to us. We won't mind (no knock on Spader. Love him too)

Those who think Coach Wallace needs to “adjust his offense”...he has a philosophy and is implementing his philosophy. There are changes and adjustments he will make, but at the end of the day he has to let his players know this is the style we’re going to play. And there’s nothing wrong with it.

X’s biggest challenge is getting back to the commitment level from administration and players that has been lost over the last 5 or 6 years. Sitting on the sidelines there is no excitement from the players, too many guys who like the idea of playing for St. X but don’t want to completely buy into whatever role is expected of them. Get better or an underclass man will soon take your spot.

Those who think Coach Wallace needs to “adjust his offense”...he has a philosophy and is implementing his philosophy. There are changes and adjustments he will make, but at the end of the day he has to let his players know this is the style we’re going to play. And there’s nothing wrong with it.

X’s biggest challenge is getting back to the commitment level from administration and players that has been lost over the last 5 or 6 years. Sitting on the sidelines there is no excitement from the players, too many guys who like the idea of playing for St. X but don’t want to completely buy into whatever role is expected of them. Get better or an underclass man will soon take your spot.

The only thing that is wrong with it is that it does not best fit the personnel that the school consistently gets.

I totally agree with you on the importance and lack of enthusiasm from the players. That must improve regardless of the offensive system.

When I first met coach Wallace he said he will match his offense to the talent he has. The trouble this year is we have a very talented QB and solid WR's but no burners. The players are still learning the finer points of this offense and unless we do all the little things properly, we have breakdowns. I trust the process, just wish it would all come together quicker.

I 100% agree with your second point. The administration seems to be handcuffing the efforts to find players. With the CSAA league withering away to fewer and fewer teams, we will not have enough kids to field a team if we just rely on that league as a feeder.

Lastly, there is no emotion on the sidelines. Not sure what the answer is for that but something needs to be done to get the players/coaches fired up. The freshman team showed a little bit of attitude in the game vs. Trinity.

When I first met coach Wallace he said he will match his offense to the talent he has. The trouble this year is we have a very talented QB and solid WR's but no burners. The players are still learning the finer points of this offense and unless we do all the little things properly, we have breakdowns. I trust the process, just wish it would all come together quicker.

I 100% agree with your second point. The administration seems to be handcuffing the efforts to find players. With the CSAA league withering away to fewer and fewer teams, we will not have enough kids to field a team if we just rely on that league as a feeder.

Lastly, there is no emotion on the sidelines. Not sure what the answer is for that but something needs to be done to get the players/coaches fired up. The freshman team showed a little bit of attitude in the game vs. Trinity.

They also have a big, physical running back that is not being utilized optimally. He is the type of runner that would be good running downhill with a lead blocker. That would allow the talented passer to throw to possession receivers from play action.

However, I have no problem with them spreading it out at times. The frustrating thing for me is that they also don’t have a package to run the ball downhill from under center when the situation warrants. Trinity does it. DeSales did it. CAL does it. It makes no sense why St. X can’t do it.