Urban suspended 3 games

Bert

Urban knew about the 2009 arrest. Keeps Smith on staff.

Urban knew about the 2015 incident. Keeps Smith on staff.

2018 arrest and revelations about 2015 incidents become public. Urban fires Smith.

Nope, not enabling at all. Only when it becomes public info did Urban let him go.

All the other crazy ridiculous stuff that has come out that Smith did during his OSU employment....Begs the question - what did this dude have on Urban that let him get away with so much, especially since he was a craptastic WR coach?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I mean what would constitute as proof? Did he have to actually witness it happen to believe it? I get man, you guys are fans and you don't want to let go of one of the best coaches around. But at some point you have to look at this rationally.

I think we're are looking at this rationally. Clearly Urban felt like he had to help out Zach Smith because of his grandfather. That loyalty ultimately is what caused this mess. But when the police are conducting an investigation and find no evidence to press charges in 2015 are Urban and Gene under an obligation to find proof themselves? I think its easy to say if you were in Urban's shoes you would have handled it differently. Should Urban have looked into it more, maybe so. But I don't think waiting for law enforcement to do their job before acting is an offense worth firing over with regards to Urban.

An apples to apples comparison between the Bama situation and this one would be had it went down as such....

2009 Zach Smith arrested for DV incident.

Urban, believing in 2nd chances, keeps him around with the caveat he screws up again he's gone.

2015 Smith involved in another DV incident. Urban immediately fires Smith.

Had Urban done this, which is the equivalent to what happened at Bama with the player, no one would've had an issue with his actions.

And there isn't hardly anything else going on in the sports world, of course this is going to draw a lot of attention last night and today.

Not much goes on in College Bball at the end of August, you can only say so much about a Reds team 15 games under .500, and preseason football is boring.

Urban knew about the 2009 arrest. Keeps Smith on staff.

Urban knew about the 2015 incident. Keeps Smith on staff.

2018 arrest and revelations about 2015 incidents become public. Urban fires Smith.

Nope, not enabling at all. Only when it becomes public info did Urban let him go.

All the other crazy ridiculous stuff that has come out that Smith did during his OSU employment....Begs the question - what did this dude have on Urban that let him get away with so much, especially since he was a craptastic WR coach?

Earle Bruce plain and simple. Bruce was a great man by all accounts. Urban was forever indebted to him. I love how everyone thinks it would be easy to fire the grandson of someone you considered a father to you without any proof. It's just not that easy.

He hired someone with a past DV conviction something ZS never had.

Hired someone? He signed a player that was convicted over a year after he left Alabama for a crime committed a year before he came to Alabama. At Alabama around three months and was sent packing at the first sign of trouble from him.

Not the same no matter how you slice it.