True Crime documentary recommendations

SSC

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Into the Abyss. Director Werner Herzog is a famous documentarian who did this 2011 documentary about death row inmate Michael Perry, who was convicted of killing Sandra Stotler and later confessed to two other murders. It covers the story of Perry's life, the circumstances around Stotler's murder, and the greater issue of capital punishment in the United States.

[video=youtube;Z-pnZUQdkKI]

Casting Jon Benet.

This one is pretty interesting. The movie was filmed under the false premise that they were "casting for a movie about the murder of Jon Benet Ramsey". They auditioned numerous amateur and semi-amateur actors & actresses from around the Colorado area, and in the process, they interview the auditioning actors and actresses about their thoughts about the unsolved murder. I thought it was incredibly interesting.

[video=youtube;-KMEOaMCJss]

The HBO interviews with mafia hitman/serial killer Richard "The Iceman" Kuklinski. Kuklinski is absolutely bone-chillingly cold blooded.

I remember watching this when it first came out. The way he could move between loving husband and father to hitman and back was striking.

Talking about killing random people just to test different methods showed, in my opinion more about his make up than anything else did.

The Act Of Killing.

A documentary where Joshua Oppenheimer interviews Anwar Congo, one of the primary leaders of the Sumatran death squads that were in charge of killing communists, communist sympathizers, and ethnic Chinese during the Indonesian Communist Purge in 1965/66.

He has Anwar, who is alleged to have personally killed 1000+ people, agree to direct and act in a series of short films that are intended to be stylized videos of many of the mass-killings that he and his paramilitary death squads committed during the purge.

Really, REALLY interesting.

The four part series on Oxygen, The Disappearance of Crystal Rogers, focuses on not only her disappearance but the murder of her father, officer Jason Elis, a local teacher and her daughter...all in and around Bardstown.

I saw the first episode. It's ok but they could have done better.

The Netflix documentary about Michael Peterson is ok.... just know that it leaves out some important details.

I saw the first episode. It's ok but they could have done better.

The Netflix documentary about Michael Peterson is ok.... just know that it leaves out some important details.

Yeah, I'm wondering how the next episodes go too. The retired troopers comments about the crime lab limit was a bit worrisome.

The Central Park Five

A documentary by Ken Burns and his daughter Sarah about the five black juveniles convicted of the assault, rape, and sodomy of a while female jogging through New York Central Park in 1989.

The 5 juveniles claimed that they were coerced into confessions by NYC police. This was categorically denied by the police. Before their trial, the FBI tested the DNA discovered in the rape kit and found that it didn't match any of the 5 juvenile defendants, but district attorney Robert Morgenthau successfully convinced the jury that the FBI's DNA findings were "inconclusive". The juveniles received sentences varying between 5 and 15 years in prison. Four of them appealed their convictions but were unsuccessful in their appeals. They served, total, between 6 and 13 years in prison, each.

An imprisoned serial rapist and murderer confessed to the crime in 2002, and the rape kit DNA confirmed his guilt.