Is 3A One Horse, Four Horse, or More Horse?

gchs_uk9

I've had conversations with folks this summer that have all but sworn only Boyle County can win the 3A state championship. Others have told me the top four in this week's BGP preview (http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/bluegrasspreps-com-class-366977.html) - Boyle, Central, Belfry, and Corbin are far ahead of the rest of the pack. Others around the state certain hope their team can make a run.

So my question is: who can win Class 3A? Boyle returns tons of skill but not many lineman. Central was very impressive in their scrimmage against Scott County and has lots of talent on both sides. Belfry has a monster offensive line and good players behind them. Corbin lost their quarterback from last year but will have tons of good players still on the roster. Is there anyone else that can make a push?

One of those 4 teams will win it this year. Mark it down.

My pick will be Boyle County but they have a tough road ahead of them. Their work is definitely cut out for them. I don't think the offensive lineman concerns will be much of an issue that many might think. I could be wrong. It won't be as good as last year's but it will be solid. The rest of the team is obviously great.

Boyle or Central as long as everyone stays healthy. Belfry and Corbin settle in behind them

If Belfry and/or Corbin can compete at a level similar to Boyle they could have an advantage in the postseason because Boyle likely would have to travel to both. The eastern bracket of 3A looks to be brutal and Boyle will have the hardest route.

If Belfry and/or Corbin can compete at a level similar to Boyle they could have an advantage in the postseason because Boyle likely would have to travel to both. The eastern bracket of 3A looks to be brutal and Boyle will have the hardest route.

The bracket is definitely brutal and the travel does generate some concern. Neither team should be overlooked as they can beat Boyle if Boyle doesn’t bring their A game. I’ve not known Belfry to ever have much of a passing game and you have to have one against Boyle if you want to win. Corbin will be a tougher match up than the state title game last year due to being a road game assuming Boyle makes it that far but I still think the stiffest test will be the athletes out of Central. Central will be battle tested and they will be able to match Boyle’s speed and athleticism.