Is this Highlands team the deepest in NKY history?

Just because a kid is on a D1 team does not mean he will ever play very much .I would rather go to a smaller school and play instead of riding the pine at a big school.

If all D1 players had your thinking. Then no player should ever go D1 at the risk of maybe not being able to beat out other D1 players. Who cares about working hard and trying to compete. Which if they have a scholarship to play D1, it means they have the ability to play with the other D1 guys. Now it just comes down to work. Or could do what you said and take the easy route.

With the thinking you have, then yes probably would ride the pine. Because of wanting to be handed a job rather than go out and win the job.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what we know for certain correct?

Drew Rom is committed to Michigan, though I am betting he does not set foot on the campus in the fall. Just call it a hunch.

Dreves is committed to Tennessee.

Are those the only 2 SURE things at this point?

It has been reported that Kavanaugh has an offer and has verbally committed to Kentucky, and that Hollingsworth has been offered. Cramer, Schwalbach and Gulley have received "interest" and, IMO, all pass the "eye" test .... Having said that, I appreciate the rarity of D1 scholarships/offers, and think those terms are thrown around haphazardly, particularly in baseball where many D1 "scholarships" are partial only.

My ambiguous but defensible characterization would be that Highlands has a very deep assembly of talent, quite a few of whom will have opportunities to continue playing beyond high school. Clear as mud.

I'm not saying that they are the best team in NKY history or anything like that. What I am asking is, with potentially 9 DI players on the roster, is this the deepest team that NKY has ever seen?

If they have 9D1 players they are probably the best team ever rostered in Kentucky.

First and Foremost you have to know that D1's cannot make official "OFFERS" until Jr year so there's that. A "we would love to have you" is not an official offer...just like a kid committing to a D1 does not mean he will ever step foot on that campus. I personally talked to a coach about this very subject...I had noticed 2 other C's had "committed" to the same school as my son and I knew from the meetings we had that they were not looking to bring more than 1 in the incoming class so I asked the coach about these 2 commitments and his exact words were "I can't control what a kid puts on a PBR or Twitter...just because he's saying he committed to us doesn't mean we are committed to him". Take a look at PBR "commitments" from 2017 and bounce that against 2018 rosters to see how many actually arrive on campus..it's pretty interesting.

I think you may be confused. D1's can make official offers to kids before their junior year. Now what is true is that most of those offers are contingent upon a kid having a certain gpa and/or act score. Of course nothing is official until the kid signs his letter of intent his senior year and either side can opt out of the offer until then.

I think you may be confused. D1's can make official offers to kids before their junior year. Now what is true is that most of those offers are contingent upon a kid having a certain gpa and/or act score. Of course nothing is official until the kid signs his letter of intent his senior year and either side can opt out of the offer until then.

This.

Anyone of any age can receive an offer. Can’t sign anything until after your junior year. Can’t take “official” visits until after your junior year also. Nothing against taking “unofficial” visits at any time or receiving an offer at anytime.

You and I are on the same page.

No, not confused at all....you will not find an official offer on paper to any kid before their junior year. The verbal offer, yes, and it is not binding in anyway...it can be pulled at anytime so it's not an official "offer" until it's on paper. That's all I'm saying. I think PP92 said the same thing.

If I'm wrong please show me where it's written...I am not adverse to being corrected when I'm wrong...just ask my wife...LOL.

If your point is that early offers are not binding then, of course, you are correct. However, you can't say a kid doesn't have an offer when he does. Stringer and Combs had offers as before or during their sophomore season and they committed.

Sounds like Kavanaugh has an offer and has accepted.

No, not confused at all....you will not find an official offer on paper to any kid before their junior year. The verbal offer, yes, and it is not binding in anyway...it can be pulled at anytime so it's not an official "offer" until it's on paper. That's all I'm saying. I think PP92 said the same thing.

The ONLY offer that comes in writing and is official is the day the kid signs his National Letter of Intent. For most players who have committed D1, that comes during the early signing period in November of their senior year. Until then it is a verbal offer/commitment that is not binding to either side. The junior year has nothing to do with a written/official offer. However, Sept. 1 of a player's junior year is when D1 coaches are able to begin contacting kids directly. Until then, the kid has to call the coach (coach can't call him back if he misses the call) or the coach has to go through a 3rd party to set anything up with the kid (unoffical visit, etc). Maybe that is what you are thinking about.

The ONLY offer that comes in writing and is official is the day the kid signs his National Letter of Intent. For most players who have committed D1, that comes during the early signing period in November of their senior year. Until then it is a verbal offer/commitment that is not binding to either side. The junior year has nothing to do with a written/official offer. However, Sept. 1 of a player's junior year is when D1 coaches are able to begin contacting kids directly. Until then, the kid has to call the coach (coach can't call him back if he misses the call) or the coach has to go through a 3rd party to set anything up with the kid (unoffical visit, etc). Maybe that is what you are thinking about.

Well said, exactly what I was saying in the first place. Verbal offers are just that VERBAL, non-binding, unofficial. It gives something for the parents to put on FB or BGP...LOL.

Well said, exactly what I was saying in the first place. Verbal offers are just that VERBAL, non-binding, unofficial. It gives something for the parents to put on FB or BGP...LOL.

I think there is a middle ground here. In your earlier posts, you were talking about "one way" commitments where a coach can't stop a kid from saying he has committed to School X. That's completely understandable and I doubt anyone on here would consider that a "D1 offer."

In the middle, there is the "unofficial offer" that is communicated by School X. While they don't have to follow through on it AND it can be subject to meeting clearing house and other requirements, most on here would consider that a "D1 Offer" if it is coming from School X. The reality is a coach is not going to get very far in recruiting if he's sending out a ton of these "unofficial offers" and then pulling them when it comes to signing time. Word gets around. If School X has provided an "unofficial offer," they are likely to keep it out there unless something major changes.

Finally, official offers are as has been described above.

I think there is a middle ground here. In your earlier posts, you were talking about "one way" commitments where a coach can't stop a kid from saying he has committed to School X. That's completely understandable and I doubt anyone on here would consider that a "D1 offer."

In the middle, there is the "unofficial offer" that is communicated by School X. While they don't have to follow through on it AND it can be subject to meeting clearing house and other requirements, most on here would consider that a "D1 Offer" if it is coming from School X. The reality is a coach is not going to get very far in recruiting if he's sending out a ton of these "unofficial offers" and then pulling them when it comes to signing time. Word gets around. If School X has provided an "unofficial offer," they are likely to keep it out there unless something major changes.

Finally, official offers are as has been described above.

I think we are on the same page...but I bet you'd be surprised how many "offers" to 8th, 9th and 10th graders are not there when it's time to sign on the dotted line at the end of the JR year. Go back and check how many "commitments" actually show up on current rosters...for many varying reasons I'm sure but some may be offers that were pulled.

I would say without hesitation...YES based on this information. The 09’ CCH team that had current MLBer Luke Maile was the best I had ever seen in NKY 1-12/13, but they had a off night and didn’t even win Region.

Talent is a less likely predictor of winning a region or state title in baseball than any other sport. Many times more talented teams lose in regional games. All it takes is one great game by a good pitcher.