Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pike County School Board unanimously in favor of Teachers with Guns

Featured Replies

Why does it have disaster written all over it? I'm curious to know what makes some of you think this is a terrible idea.

  • Replies 36
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why does it have disaster written all over it? I'm curious to know what makes some of you think this is a terrible idea.

 

Read the thread. Several possible scenarios have already been presented.

  • Author
Than it would not be considered a concealed weapon?

 

Put me in the "who cares" if the weapon is concealed or not, this would be about best practice (chance for success).

  • Author
Wouldn't it be safer to keep it locked away in a safe?

 

Put me in the "who cares" if the weapon is concealed or not, this would be about best practice (chance for success).

 

Wouldn't that be against the law?

  • Author
Wouldn't that be against the law?

 

I have no idea the context we are speaking of.

 

In short, I am for more of a Federal Program that allows Teachers to carry guns in schools so that the program is well thought out and uniform.

 

There is a reason uniformed Police Officers carry their sidearms in a certain manner and this would apply to teachers too if we are serious about weapon retention and safety.

I'm just happy my own children will be graduated by the time any of this passes.

IMO, it's crazy we are asking this of our teachers. It's lazy and cheap by lawmakers and districts when they should be reinforcing the entrances with guards and metal detectors.

 

It's dangerous when you put a haphazardly trained person with a loaded weapon in a classroom with students. I read an article yesterday that stated NYPD officers shot around an 18% rate when in a live confrontation: 82% of the bullets went elsewhere. Do we think a scared teacher is going to do better? Absolutely not. Ludicrous to even believe that.

 

Not to mention teachers and their classes are now targets for potential attackers. Any attacker will go to that/those rooms first.

 

I guess this question goes in the other thread, but will armed teachers be expected to help? Leave their class and save the school. What if they freeze like SROs and deputies did in Florida?

 

This idea has way more problems than solutions.

  • Author
I'm just happy my own children will be graduated by the time any of this passes.

IMO, it's crazy we are asking this of our teachers. It's lazy and cheap by lawmakers and districts when they should be reinforcing the entrances with guards and metal detectors.

 

It's dangerous when you put a haphazardly trained person with a loaded weapon in a classroom with students. I read an article yesterday that stated NYPD officers shot around an 18% rate when in a live confrontation: 82% of the bullets went elsewhere. Do we think a scared teacher is going to do better? Absolutely not. Ludicrous to even believe that.

 

Not to mention teachers and their classes are now targets for potential attackers. Any attacker will go to that/those rooms first.

 

I guess this question goes in the other thread, but will armed teachers be expected to help? Leave their class and save the school. What if they freeze like SROs and deputies did in Florida?

This idea has way more problems than solutions.

 

This is the same drum I have been beating. We (we meaning the United States of America) cannot do this in piecemeal. It has to be a comprehensive approach.

Read the thread. Several possible scenarios have already been presented.

 

Many of the scenarios presented are the same for normal CCW permit holders. I believe you have your CCDW, correct? Are you not comfortable carrying it because of the reasons given above? Are you against it because there are kids involved? Do you not carry anywhere there are kids involved?

 

I guess I don’t understand if a teacher has a legal CCDW, what makes it more dangerous they carry in their classroom than say, the movies. Or have at their house if they are parents.

Who says some haven’t been carrying for a while? There is a reason it’s called “concealed” carry.....

Many of the scenarios presented are the same for normal CCW permit holders. I believe you have your CCDW, correct? Are you not comfortable carrying it because of the reasons given above? Are you against it because there are kids involved? Do you not carry anywhere there are kids involved?

 

I guess I don’t understand if a teacher has a legal CCDW, what makes it more dangerous they carry in their classroom than say, the movies. Or have at their house if they are parents.

 

I do have mine, and the kids are the issue IMO. That and I don’t trust other people to be as responsible carrying as a lot of people here are.

Once again though, it seems like the only way many want to address this issue, is with more people, carrying more guns.

Shots fired today at a Dalton, GA school... The suspect? A teacher... Luckily no children have been hurt.

Shots fired today at a Dalton, GA school... The suspect? A teacher... Luckily no children have been hurt.

 

Example A of what could possibly go wrong....

I bet school boards won’t any of those bullets that come out of that gun. Liability insurance would be astronomical.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.