Least Favorite Active Coach?

MJAlltheWay24

Sooooo..... don't leave us hanging. What does MTGL say? :D

I will get you started.... Mick,

I like Mick a lot off the court, in fact we've been known to grab breakfast at The Echo in the offseason.

Jim Calhoun was a legendary bad guy, to be sure. Kevin Stallings is a dark human, and Brian Thornton (who transferred from Vandy to Xavier after being 1st Team all SEC Freshman and then a really solid sophomore year) had some crazy stories about him. Shaka Smart is a complete phony and a lousy guy. Jim Baron was a complete jerk. Dr. John Giannini is a fairly odd cat as well. Bobby Hurley is a jerk, but his brother Danny is the opposite.

Rick Majerus, God rest his soul, was not a pleasant person to be around.

Darrin Van Horn is the lowest of the low.

Chris Collins is only "this much" above him...and I completely blame his dad who is THE WORST.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the ones mentioned are there any that you feel people would change opinions on if they were to know the person?

For sure, Josh Pastener is a great guy (but I'm in the camp that he isn't a very good coach). Jim Boeheim is a great dude and super funny.

Everyone always rips Derek Kellogg for being crooked at UMass, and I'm sure that was the case, but he is a great dude.

@gametime rips my "man-crush" on Fran Dunphy, but even GT will admit that Fran is one of the all-time great guys in coaching.

No one will be shocked to know that Brad Stevens is probably the nicest human I ever met with the title "head coach".

Johnny Dawkins is awesome, funny, down-to-earth, and really bright.

For sure, Josh Pastener is a great guy (but I'm in the camp that he isn't a very good coach). Jim Boeheim is a great dude and super funny.

Everyone always rips Derek Kellogg for being crooked at UMass, and I'm sure that was the case, but he is a great dude.

@gametime rips my "man-crush" on Fran Dunphy, but even GT will admit that Fran is one of the all-time great guys in coaching.

No one will be shocked to know that Brad Stevens is probably the nicest human I ever met with the title "head coach".

I've always thought it was strange for people to form opinions regarding like or hate about people they've never met but I guess it's just human nature.

For the record I'm ok hating on Stallings right?

I like Mick a lot off the court, in fact we've been known to grab breakfast at The Echo in the offseason.

Jim Calhoun was a legendary bad guy, to be sure. Kevin Stallings is a dark human, and Brian Thornton (who transferred from Vandy to Xavier after being 1st Team all SEC Freshman and then a really solid sophomore year) had some crazy stories about him. Shaka Smart is a complete phony and a lousy guy. Jim Baron was a complete jerk. Dr. John Giannini is a fairly odd cat as well. Bobby Hurley is a jerk, but his brother Danny is the opposite.

Rick Majerus, God rest his soul, was not a pleasant person to be around.

Darrin Van Horn is the lowest of the low.

Chris Collins is only "this much" above him...and I completely blame his dad who is THE WORST.

So you are a big fan of the Texas staff with Shaka and Horn. :lol:

A few guys I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on, if you've ever interacted with them, Bruce Pearl, Tom Crean and Bo Ryan.

Nothing but respect for Fran. Just like to joke about him being the AAC coach of the year favorite every October...

A few guys I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on, if you've ever interacted with them, Bruce Pearl, Tom Crean and Bo Ryan.

I spent time with Bruce Pearl once, December of 2007 when Tennessee beat Xavier at Cintas, and he was great.

I'm not a Tom Crean fan, but I will add, I think he does a GREAT job on TV.

Bo was great, and is really funny in a dry sort of way.

Ever have any interaction with Billy Donovan?

Twice, and while he was never anything but polite, I wasn't big enough for him to be interested in talking to.

I will say, however, he is one of those rare coaches that just had that aura about them. Not sure how to define it better than that, but there is a real presence about him.