Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Least Favorite Active Coach?

Featured Replies

Sooooo..... don't leave us hanging. What does MTGL say? :D

 

I will get you started.... Mick,

I like Mick a lot off the court, in fact we've been known to grab breakfast at The Echo in the offseason.

 

Jim Calhoun was a legendary bad guy, to be sure. Kevin Stallings is a dark human, and Brian Thornton (who transferred from Vandy to Xavier after being 1st Team all SEC Freshman and then a really solid sophomore year) had some crazy stories about him. Shaka Smart is a complete phony and a lousy guy. Jim Baron was a complete jerk. Dr. John Giannini is a fairly odd cat as well. Bobby Hurley is a jerk, but his brother Danny is the opposite.

 

Rick Majerus, God rest his soul, was not a pleasant person to be around.

 

Darrin Van Horn is the lowest of the low.

 

Chris Collins is only "this much" above him...and I completely blame his dad who is THE WORST.

  • Replies 75
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of the ones mentioned are there any that you feel people would change opinions on if they were to know the person?

For sure, Josh Pastener is a great guy (but I'm in the camp that he isn't a very good coach). Jim Boeheim is a great dude and super funny.

 

Everyone always rips Derek Kellogg for being crooked at UMass, and I'm sure that was the case, but he is a great dude.

@gametime rips my "man-crush" on Fran Dunphy, but even GT will admit that Fran is one of the all-time great guys in coaching.

 

No one will be shocked to know that Brad Stevens is probably the nicest human I ever met with the title "head coach".

 

Johnny Dawkins is awesome, funny, down-to-earth, and really bright.

For sure, Josh Pastener is a great guy (but I'm in the camp that he isn't a very good coach). Jim Boeheim is a great dude and super funny.

 

Everyone always rips Derek Kellogg for being crooked at UMass, and I'm sure that was the case, but he is a great dude.

@gametime rips my "man-crush" on Fran Dunphy, but even GT will admit that Fran is one of the all-time great guys in coaching.

 

No one will be shocked to know that Brad Stevens is probably the nicest human I ever met with the title "head coach".

 

Johnny Dawkins is awesome, funny, down-to-earth, and really bright.

I've always thought it was strange for people to form opinions regarding like or hate about people they've never met but I guess it's just human nature.

 

For the record I'm ok hating on Stallings right?

I like Mick a lot off the court, in fact we've been known to grab breakfast at The Echo in the offseason.

 

Jim Calhoun was a legendary bad guy, to be sure. Kevin Stallings is a dark human, and Brian Thornton (who transferred from Vandy to Xavier after being 1st Team all SEC Freshman and then a really solid sophomore year) had some crazy stories about him. Shaka Smart is a complete phony and a lousy guy. Jim Baron was a complete jerk. Dr. John Giannini is a fairly odd cat as well. Bobby Hurley is a jerk, but his brother Danny is the opposite.

 

Rick Majerus, God rest his soul, was not a pleasant person to be around.

 

Darrin Van Horn is the lowest of the low.

 

Chris Collins is only "this much" above him...and I completely blame his dad who is THE WORST.

 

 

So you are a big fan of the Texas staff with Shaka and Horn. :lol:

My son attended the Duke camp years ago. Wife took him down and saw the opening by coach K. Though she is not a Duke fan, she had complete respect for him. As does my son, who is a huge KY fan.

Bill Self. Can’t stand that guy.

 

I had the opportunity to interact with him twice at Illinois functions. He may have been faking it, but he was super nice and really funny.

For sure, Josh Pastener is a great guy (but I'm in the camp that he isn't a very good coach). Jim Boeheim is a great dude and super funny.

 

Everyone always rips Derek Kellogg for being crooked at UMass, and I'm sure that was the case, but he is a great dude.

@gametime rips my "man-crush" on Fran Dunphy, but even GT will admit that Fran is one of the all-time great guys in coaching.

 

No one will be shocked to know that Brad Stevens is probably the nicest human I ever met with the title "head coach".

 

Johnny Dawkins is awesome, funny, down-to-earth, and really bright.

 

A few guys I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on, if you've ever interacted with them, Bruce Pearl, Tom Crean and Bo Ryan.

  • Author
Shaka Smart is a complete phony and a lousy guy.

 

I've always thought this about him. Interesting that you confirmed.

 

Ever have any interaction with Billy Donovan?

For sure, Josh Pastener is a great guy (but I'm in the camp that he isn't a very good coach). Jim Boeheim is a great dude and super funny.

 

Everyone always rips Derek Kellogg for being crooked at UMass, and I'm sure that was the case, but he is a great dude.

@gametime rips my "man-crush" on Fran Dunphy, but even GT will admit that Fran is one of the all-time great guys in coaching.

 

No one will be shocked to know that Brad Stevens is probably the nicest human I ever met with the title "head coach".

 

Johnny Dawkins is awesome, funny, down-to-earth, and really bright.

 

Nothing but respect for Fran. Just like to joke about him being the AAC coach of the year favorite every October...

Danny Hurley might be my favorite guy in the business. Have sat with him watching games for hours just laughing and telling stories...

A few guys I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on, if you've ever interacted with them, Bruce Pearl, Tom Crean and Bo Ryan.

I spent time with Bruce Pearl once, December of 2007 when Tennessee beat Xavier at Cintas, and he was great.

 

I'm not a Tom Crean fan, but I will add, I think he does a GREAT job on TV.

 

Bo was great, and is really funny in a dry sort of way.

Ever have any interaction with Billy Donovan?

 

Twice, and while he was never anything but polite, I wasn't big enough for him to be interested in talking to.

 

I will say, however, he is one of those rare coaches that just had that aura about them. Not sure how to define it better than that, but there is a real presence about him.

Danny Hurley might be my favorite guy in the business. Have sat with him watching games for hours just laughing and telling stories...

 

You think he takes over at UConn or Pitt next season?

Nothing but respect for Fran. Just like to joke about him being the AAC coach of the year favorite every October...

 

You're not going to mention my DK take? I think we talked after he and I sat at Starbucks for 90 minutes once and you and I disagreed about him.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.