Largest Drop in Attendance in 34 Years

swamprat

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are multiple factors at play here:

1) Ticket prices are just ridiculous plain and simple. I shouldn’t have to pay $200 for a decent seats to watch Ohio State play a no name school. That’s just stupid.

2) The games are WAY to long. I think when you watch on TV I don’t think you get a feel of how much down time there truly is at college games. It feels like half the game you are just sitting there twiddling your thumbs. NFL has this figured out better than College football.

3)Watching games on TV is way more appealing to a lot of people.

With regards to student attendance, this comes down to one simple fact. The student populations don’t care. At major universities like UK, Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan, etc. they are recruiting such a large number of out of state students that didn’t grow up as fans of the team and are only casual fans once they get there. They don’t feel the sense of investment that a lot of in state students feel. Anyone that has been to a UK basketball game recently knows this. The students sections, not the Erupption Zone, but sections 32-35 and 231-232 can attest to the fact that often times these sections are rarely completely full. It’s a shame really. But universities don’t care, then they wonder why the Rupp Arena atmosphere sucks.

I read an article about attendance issues at Nebraska football games. I believe it was written during the 2016 season. Once upon a time Lincoln, NB was the largest city in the state on game days. Now attendance is slipping and season ticket sales are down, much like the rest of sports.

Nebraska has sold out every home football game since 1962. Far and away the longest such streak in major sports.

Notre Dame was BY FAR the worst game experience I've ever had. :lol2: I get the history and nostalgia, but that place is a dump. Give me my jumbotrons, chair back seats and modern bathrooms over that place any day.

The stadium has been improved since then. I was there for that game and the USC game this past season, much different.