Largest Drop in Attendance in 34 Years

swamprat

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read an article about attendance issues at Nebraska football games. I believe it was written during the 2016 season. Once upon a time Lincoln, NB was the largest city in the state on game days. Now attendance is slipping and season ticket sales are down, much like the rest of sports.

Ticket prices for one are the main reason, tailgating is way more fun than baking in the sun for mediocre football, not selling alcohol (like or not) at games is a big factor, also driving hours one way and going home the night of is huge factor as well. I've been to two UK games, the first one I went in and it was ok. The second one I decided I'm just going to tail gate and listen on the radio,way more fun.

I live 5 minutes from U of Cincinnati, you can buy beer at the venue but mediocre football vs mediocre competition isnt enough for me to waste a beautiful Saturday in the fall stuck at Nippert, when I could listen to the game while working in the yard enjoying some cold ones.

Going to games when you know your team has zero chance to play for a national championship before the seeason (even if they go undefeated, see UCF) starts is extremely demoralizing.

Nebraska had it like that when they were rolling over teams every week. Now, they are getting rolled. With this new coach, their fortunes may change. If that happens, I will bet the fans come back. I wonder about the attendance at Iowa games they were relevant for a time this year. Makes a difference if the team is winning and they have a chance at a National Championship; I agree.

I was commenting on the quote, not nebraska football.

You said since they've been getting rolled (which is true), alluding to Nebraska and the erroneous earlier comment that Nebraska had slipping attendance. Which is false. You said Scott Frost can bring the fans back, and again, they've sold out every game for 55 years.

There are a MILLION examples of college football's slipping attendance, and it is a MAJOR problem for AD's and those charged with paying the bills, however, Nebraska is the one school that doesn't fit the narrative.

The stadium has been improved since then. I was there for that game and the USC game this past season, much different.

Unless the changes included increasing the approximate 11" allotment per butt on the wood bleachers, it's all for not as far as I am concerned.

Unless the changes included increasing the approximate 11" allotment per butt on the wood bleachers, it's all for not as far as I am concerned.

Just found this article. Apparently the improvements see the bleachers expanding from an allotment of 16" per seat to 18" per seat. Not sure how much difference that actually makes but at least its better than what it was.

Seats are two inches wider at new Notre Dame Stadium. Yes, it's a big difference. | Local | southbendtribune.com