Virginia 74 Louisville 64

tcjkbt

If you score >60 against UVa, shoot 50%, 100% from the FT line (granted only 6 attempts) and outrebound them, you figure to have a good chance to win. On another night, that might have been good enough. If they can consistently make the shots they made last night (54% overall and 58% in the 2d half including 56% overall from 3 and 67% in the 2d half), they are impossible to beat.

Cards played hard but not perfect. A few bad possessions on the rare occasions that UVa missed prevented them from narrowing the gap a few times.

I thought a key part of the game was right before half. UofL down 3 with about 45 seconds and UVa ball. Cards had only 4 fouls, so 2 to give. I would have liked to see very aggressive defense and if you foul them and give them last shot, so be it. Instead, UVa ran 25 seconds of clock and Guy hit a 3 to put them up 6. UofL got off a terrible shot (as usual in last second situations) and the go in down 6 instead of 3 or less. UVa started 2d half on fire and Cards were chasing the whole 2nd half. They chased valiantly, but couldn't climb the hill.

As to Snyder, I suspect Padgett is tired of his SR PG driving too deep in the lane and getting tied up or turning the ball over. Snyder has disappeared too many times this year for a SR PG. He has had flashes of the old Q, but it has not been consistent. Padgett has such a huge rotation (9-10 - see below) that he is going to spend the next month deciding who he can count on and who loses time.

4-5 - Anas & Ray play as much together as fouls / conditioning will allow. Malik starts and plays enough to keep the other 2 out of trouble. Sprinkle in a little Sutton and Nwora (DNP last night) at the 4 if needed.

3 - Deng gets most of the minutes here (although he likely spends some time at 2 depending on lineup and whether you consider VJ a 2 or a 3). Deng needs to be more dominant than he is. Sprinkle some Sutton and VJ at the 3 if you need it.

1-2 - Snyder, VJ and McMahon eat most of these minutes. In past games, VJ was the odd man out toward the end. Last night, Snyder was (possibly due to size differential with VJ). Sprinkle in some Perry for defensive lockdown (although as Getslow mentioned, he was awful last night chasing Guy and others around the court).

Just hold your breath when VJ has the ball, lol.

I’ve watched that Ray Spalding 1-handed dunk like 10 times already. I’m not deleting the game until I’ve had enough....

Unfortunately there weren't enough of them. I think next game Padgett will try to go inside more. Spalding improves every time out.