Blow your Whistle!

I think there are some good refs and some bad refs at all levels. Some crews at absolutely terrible.

Most of the time they miss a few calls and make a few calls but are pretty average.

Occasionally, there's just a really good crew. I haven't found one yet, but I assume that's the case.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game has gotten so much faster at the high school level, which has caused regions to go to three man crews. Instead of two decent refs, a lot of times they will pair a bad ref with a decent crew or two bad refs with a good ref. Then, you have one ref having to overcompensate because a bad ref won't make the calls they should. It's one reason why the crews at region tournaments are better because the bad refs have been weeded out.

The KHSAA has taken a huge hit in good refs in recent years because of the number opting to go the college route. They just haven't been able to replace them at the rate they are leaving.

Another factor is simple. The younger generation just isn't taking an interest in becoming sports refs/umpires/officials like they did 20-25 years ago. A lot of new refs I see are in the 30-50 age group.

A bigger issue is the average fan not know what they are talking about because they have never read a rule book The charge/block is a perfect example (see also, over and back, ball on top of the backboard, "traveling" on the inbound pass, "over the back", etc, etc). Sitting at a high school game and listening to what the fans are yelling tells me that they usually don't even know what they are arguing.

As far as officials at the high school level, it's an issue of numbers as The Scribe said. I would rather see 2-man crews during the season and 3-man during post-season. I know an argument would be made that they need to practice the 3-man during the season but the rotations are not that hard, they should be able to figure it out.

In college, there is no reasonable explanation as to why there would be a considerable drop off in the level of officiating. Fact is that the game is faster and harder to officiate. You have bigger, faster, and stronger players with more contact. The "look at me" factor is probably the biggest one here (see TV Teddy).

Bottom line, what everyone wants at every level is consistency but that is a difficult thing to do. If you've ever officiated even a youth league game, you know that it's not easy.

A bigger issue is the average fan not know what they are talking about because they have never read a rule book The charge/block is a perfect example (see also, over and back, ball on top of the backboard, "traveling" on the inbound pass, "over the back", etc, etc). Sitting at a high school game and listening to what the fans are yelling tells me that they usually don't even know what they are arguing.

As far as officials at the high school level, it's an issue of numbers as The Scribe said. I would rather see 2-man crews during the season and 3-man during post-season. I know an argument would be made that they need to practice the 3-man during the season but the rotations are not that hard, they should be able to figure it out.

In college, there is no reasonable explanation as to why there would be a considerable drop off in the level of officiating. Fact is that the game is faster and harder to officiate. You have bigger, faster, and stronger players with more contact. The "look at me" factor is probably the biggest one here (see TV Teddy).

Bottom line, what everyone wants at every level is consistency but that is a difficult thing to do. If you've ever officiated even a youth league game, you know that it's not easy.

Maybe we should have a thread about the knowledge of the average fan....:lol2:

After broadcasting HS basketball in KY for 38 years, I've wondered about this a lot. I listen to the fans in the stands all the time, and the general lack of knowledge about the rules is amazing. (Or maybe it's just that the loudest fans are all struggling with the rules... :rolleyes:)

CM

Maybe we should have a thread about the knowledge of the average fan....:lol2:

After broadcasting HS basketball in KY for 38 years, I've wondered about this a lot. I listen to the fans in the stands all the time, and the general lack of knowledge about the rules is amazing. (Or maybe it's just that the loudest fans are all struggling with the rules... :rolleyes:)

CM

These two things seem to correlate.:lol2:

Not sure what you're asking. It's not a difficult rule. To be more specific, I was referring to the extra step on the catch on the perimeter and/or stepping into a shot.

Im asking what the rule is for traveling? Not your opinion