Should Success be a Factor in Classification?

gchs_uk9

Apples and anvils. Salary caps keeps all 32 teams relatively close in competitive level, every team has the same number of players, basically every team has the same number of players at each position, and it's the best players in the world so...............

The idea behind the Class system is to equalize numbers is it not?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohio uses a success multiplier as well.

I think it should be used. Numbers of boys of a school is a factor, but so is urban/rural location as well as the number of kids in a school on free/reduced meal plans. Probably a lower percentage of those kids interested in sports than kids who aren't worried about their next meal.

Schools who win state in the same class all the time should want a bigger challenge. Kids playing video games get tired of the game when they can beat it all the time, so they want a new game. Why does Trinity play so many out-of-state teams? They want tougher competition, teams who can challenge them, which is hard for them to find in Kentucky.

Highlands voluntarily plays up a class most of the time, and they were winning 5A a few years back with 4A or maybe even 3A enrollment.

If a team moves up and doesn't succeed, they could move back down to where their enrollment dictates.

I think it would be great. It could possibly give us better championship games. Just imagine if Bowling Green would have moved up with their great teams. We could have seen if Bowling Green could have took out Trinity or not. We could have seen teams like Beechwood compete in 2a this year, and so on. Plus it gives smaller schools a better chance to truly compete and build their program up. Because more success leads to more players interested. So even if that dominant team eventually drops back down. Other teams programs would have built up some in their absence.

Highlands voluntarily plays up a class most of the time, and they were winning 5A a few years back with 4A or maybe even 3A enrollment.

If a team moves up and doesn't succeed, they could move back down to where their enrollment dictates.

If you had a system like this I think you would first have to say teams must play in their allotted class, not allowing voluntary play-ups.

I decided to take a look at this plan in action. I awarded teams three points for a state championship, two points if they lost in the state championship, and one point if they lost in the state semifinals. Indiana bumps a team up if they have six points but I'm only using the last three years so if a team achieved 4.5 points they were eligible to move up. However, if a team is already moving up due to enrollment their success ratio isn't factored in. Here is who it affected:

Beechwood - 1A to 2A (not factored due to enrollment bump)

Danville - 2A to 3A

Mayfield - 2A to 3A

Belfry - 3A to 4A

Franklin-Simpson - 4A to 5A

Johnson Central - 4A to 5A (not factored due to enrollment bump)

Bowling Green - 5A to 6A

Trinity - 6A (remains same)

So eight teams qualified to move up, although two are already moving. So in conclusion it would have affected six teams using data at this current juncture.

I decided to take a look at this plan in action. I awarded teams three points for a state championship, two points if they lost in the state championship, and one point if they lost in the state semifinals. Indiana bumps a team up if they have six points but I'm only using the last three years so if a team achieved 4.5 points they were eligible to move up. However, if a team is already moving up due to enrollment their success ratio isn't factored in. Here is who it affected:

Beechwood - 1A to 2A (not factored due to enrollment bump)

Danville - 2A to 3A

Mayfield - 2A to 3A

Belfry - 3A to 4A

Franklin-Simpson - 4A to 5A

Johnson Central - 4A to 5A (not factored due to enrollment bump)

Bowling Green - 5A to 6A

Trinity - 6A (remains same)

So eight teams qualified to move up, although two are already moving. So in conclusion it would have affected six teams using data at this current juncture.

Schedules are made two years ahead.

Is this movement going to be on an annual basis? Take FS for example. They won 4A so they get moved to 5A for 2018. There are four games that have to be changed. Maybe more depending on the district they get moved in to. There also would be a ripple effect.

What you would have is chaos.

Schedules are made two years ahead.

Is this movement going to be on an annual basis? Take FS for example. They won 4A so they get moved to 5A for 2018. There are four games that have to be changed. Maybe more depending on the district they get moved in to. There also would be a ripple effect.

What you would have is chaos.

Incorrect. No one would be moved mid-cycle. They would be moved at the next classification cycle. I just used three years to see who is on pace to move up which in this case would start in 2019.

So the teams left behind are not challenged and do not have to work harder, but they get to win a championship because the better teams were moved up a class.

Teams from the larger class would drop down to accommodate those going up, thus keeping a roughly equal number of teams in each class. How you get that those teams left behind aren't challenged is beyond me.

Kudos though for including working harder in your post, the one thing all bad teams aren't doing but if they immediately start doing they'll have more banners than space.

Teams from the larger class would drop down to accommodate those going up, thus keeping a roughly equal number of teams in each class. How you get that those teams left behind aren't challenged is beyond me.

Kudos though for including working harder in your post, the one thing all bad teams aren't doing but if they immediately start doing they'll have more banners than space.

I wonder, maybe those teams do not have to work harder or whatever it is one has to do, in your estimation, to be a better team. They do not have to be better, because the field has not been leveled for them it has been lowered. The top teams they have to compete against are no longer there, therefore they may play at their old level, no improvement and win.