Should Success be a Factor in Classification?

gchs_uk9

That is the idea, but as I have argued for a long time on BGP, the number of male students in a given school does not determine the success of the program. The number that matters is, the number of players on the team. If the number of enrollment of a given school was the determining factor, you would never see 1A schools beating 5A schools, and 2A schools beating 4A schools. Simply having more students does not mean success.

Now, in the NFL, numbers are pure, because every team has the same number of players and the same number of players at each position (which schools don't have due to body type, size and ability).

I think in a perfect world that would be the way to do it...but we both know there would be some coaches with sketchy morals that would cut as many kids as possible to get into the smallest class possible and hope to dominate it. I can think of several coaches off of the top of my head that have 3A, 4A and 5A schools that would cut all but about 25 players if that would get them into 1A and a chance to win a title.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If FS, Johnson Central, Hoptown, Collins, etc are bumped up to 5A will that make Breckenridge County a better football team?

The working theory is if Breck experiences some success it will build upon itself and they will develop a tradition of their own. It's tough to get to the top of the mountain when you can't even get half way up first.

The working theory is if Breck experiences some success it will build upon itself and they will develop a tradition of their own. It's tough to get to the top of the mountain when you can't even get half way up first.

The problem with this theory is that Breck and similar teams don't just lose to teams in their class. They don't beat anyone. That's when I think the blame is not athletic ability. It's the adults in charge.

What we need is more Coach Adlers of Logan Co.

So, if we have a successful 125 pound fighter we move him up to the 140 pound class so someone else can be successful and he will now fight in a division where it will be that much harder for him to excel. Sounds like a worthy reward.

The problem with that analogy is the difference between a 125 and 140 pound fighter is big. Many schools who would be moving up have more players than the schools whose class they are moving into.

The problem with that analogy is the difference between a 125 and 140 pound fighter is big. Many schools who would be moving up have more players than the schools whose class they are moving into.

Just don't think # of players on the team should in any way be the measuring stick. We all know success breeds success and which comes first is argumentative at best. But, the school's male enrollment to me is the only quantitative bench mark that makes sense. Probably a bad analogy, but high school music programs use to have their divisions established by feet on the ground so many became all most all-star programs as a limited # were allowed to march so they were competiting against much smaller schools. So, a large school unable to produce a quality overall program would deny the competition experience to the average or less talented (despite all their efforts) in order that the all stars could make the school's program look better than it was (make-up on a pig). Had 1,000 student schools putting 20 kids on the field. Fortunately, the KMEA changed this fax paus to enrollment based classes and the quality of Ky marching band has excelled.

I think in a perfect world that would be the way to do it...but we both know there would be some coaches with sketchy morals that would cut as many kids as possible to get into the smallest class possible and hope to dominate it. I can think of several coaches off of the top of my head that have 3A, 4A and 5A schools that would cut all but about 25 players if that would get them into 1A and a chance to win a title.

Oh, I'm not advocating it, I'm just saying "enrollment does not determine success". I've been challenged many times on this subject on the site, but no one call tell me how a 1A school beats a 5A school or a 4A school beats a 6A school.