Would CovCath Beat Trinity?

TheDeuce

Would CCH have beaten Trinity this year?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Would CCH have beaten Trinity this year?

This seems to have been a popular topic over the last several weeks, and I think deserves its own thread. Both CCH and Trintiy finished off their seasons in convincing fashion this weekend. Speculation from many here is that not only could CCH play with Trinity this year, they could beat them.

What do you say? Please cite the reasons for your answer.

Cov. Cath. had a very good year and should be proud of their championship. However, they would definitely lose to Trinity due to the depth factor and the Rondale Moore factor. No one in the state, including the Colonels, has the speed to match up with him and the creative ways his talent was utilized.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without Moore or Bohn CCH could stay close, with Moore & Bohn T is 15-20 pts better. (To be fair, I did not see CCH live this season, only some tape). The issue is that T's defensive front 7 are just so good, and their O-line really came together late in the season. T beat Moeller & Warren Central & X played Cincy X to within 2 points. CCH did not play anyone as good as the top 8 or 9 teams on T or X's schedules.

Top 8 or 9 is stretching it a bit:

Top 9 teams on T's schedule:

#190 Warren Central (Indianapolis, IN)

#205 St. Xavier (Louisville, KY)

#485 Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati, OH)

#544 Champagnat Catholic (Hialeah, FL)

#577 Carmel (IN)

#975 Male (Louisville, KY)

#1095 Kenton [simon] (Independence, KY)

#2268 Campbell County (Alexandria, KY)

Top 4 on CovCath's schedule:

#723 St. Francis de Sales (Columbus, OH)

#1153 South Warren (Bowling Green, KY)

#1198 Beechwood (Fort Mitchell, KY)

#1345 Bishop Chatard (Indianapolis, IN)

I did not see Trinity play this year, but their schedule tells you that they no doubt are an incredible team. Unfortunately, Cov Cath's schedule doesn't let you know how good they were. They were never tested. I didn't vote because I don't know if they would win or not. They were never tested. I don't fault the AD for their schedule because history shows that Cov Cath will typically not compete with the GCL schools. This year they could have IMHO. I don't think you can say that Cov Cath wouldn't be able to compete with Trinity based on Cov Cath's schedule because again, they were never tested.

Trinity and CovCath did have a common opponent this year - Campbell County.

Trinity 51 Campbell County 13

CovCath 49 Campbell County 13

I know both Camel touchdowns in the CovCath game were scored against the backups in the 4th quarter. Did Campbell score against the Trinity first team defense?

#577 Carmel (IN)

Whoa... I meant the top 8 or 9 on their combined schedules... as in the top five for T & the top 4 for X. That holds pretty true.

#577 Carmel (IN)

So basically Trinity played 6 games against Teams better than anyone Covcath played and 8 games against better teams than Covcath second toughest game.

To say Covcath could beat Trinity would also be saying Covcath could beat teams like Cincinnati St. X, LaSalle, Moeller, etc. Which as good as Covcath was I just don't see that. You can take teams like Kentucky St. X and Scott County and they also dominate the same schedule that Covcath dominated.

Trinity is use to playing top teams week in and week out. They have seen good teams with size, speed, extreme talent. For Covcath I believe they would be a little shell shocked with the talent they would see for the first time this year. While for Trinity it would be just another game because Covcath wouldn't be anymore talented than any team they seen.

Covcath is a top 4 team in the state and definitely could make an argument for even the 2nd best. Which shows how special this group was.

To say Covcath could beat Trinity would also be saying Covcath could beat teams like Cincinnati St. X, LaSalle, Moeller, etc. Which as good as Covcath was I just don't see that. You can take teams like Kentucky St. X and Scott County and they also dominate the same schedule that Covcath dominated.

Trinity is use to playing top teams week in and week out. They have seen good teams with size, speed, extreme talent. For Covcath I believe they would be a little shell shocked with the talent they would see for the first time this year. While for Trinity it would be just another game because Covcath wouldn't be anymore talented than any team they seen.

CalPreps rates CovCath higher than anyone Trinity has beaten this year. To say the Colonels would be just another game is probably not accurate.

Just for fun, here is how CalPreps projects the games:

neutral field

[2017] Covington Catholic (Park Hills, KY) 42, [2017] Scott County (Georgetown, KY) 28

neutral field

[2017] Covington Catholic (Park Hills, KY) 31, [2017] St. Xavier (Louisville, KY) 24

neutral field

[2017] Trinity (Louisville, KY) 28, [2017] Covington Catholic (Park Hills, KY) 26

I do think Covcath has a pretty special group of guys on both sides of ball. All athletic, fast guys (no bellies) that are fundamentally very solid. These guys would handle St. X better than Trinity. I believe CC's offensive line would provide the protection to roll with their vertical passing game under Mayer the best in Ky. I also believe that CC's D would slowdown Moore's explosive plays with their athletic LBs blowing up a few bubble/tunnel screens and pitches. CC additionally has exceptional special teams that will not allow Moore much return opps (kickoffs into endzones and punts faircaught). This would be the makings of a classic match-up.

CalPreps rates CovCath higher than anyone Trinity has beaten this year. To say the Colonels would be just another game is probably not accurate.

Just for fun, here is how CalPreps projects the games:

neutral field

[2017] Covington Catholic (Park Hills, KY) 42, [2017] Scott County (Georgetown, KY) 28

neutral field

[2017] Covington Catholic (Park Hills, KY) 31, [2017] St. Xavier (Louisville, KY) 24

neutral field

[2017] Trinity (Louisville, KY) 28, [2017] Covington Catholic (Park Hills, KY) 26

I say saying it's just another game to them is pretty accurate. Trinity has seen many teams of equal or more talent than Covcath. Trinity has seen good qbs, good lines, defenses, etc. Covcath hasn't seen as much of that. Every game Covcath has walked onto the field as the most talented team with the better players. Trinity as mentioned already has seen multiple teams of equal or more talent than Covcath. While for Covcath trinity would by far be the most talented team they have seen this year. That is a big jump in talent level for Covcath to see, while Covcath would be nothing new for Trinity.

If Covcath would have played teams with better talent and possibly played a GCL team or even Louisville st. Xavier just to get them a look better talent. Then the shock of the talent they would see against Trinity wouldn't be as much.

I think Trinity would do to them what Covcath has done to many teams. With that shock of truly how good Trinity is once you are on the field with them allowing Trinity to jump on Covcath early by a few scores. I do think Covcath would settle down as the game went on but I just see Trinity winning by 14 to 21.

I do think Covcath has a pretty special group of guys on both sides of ball. All athletic, fast guys (no bellies) that are fundamentally very solid. These guys would handle St. X better than Trinity. I believe CC's offensive line would provide the protection to roll with their vertical passing game under Mayer the best in Ky. I also believe that CC's D would slowdown Moore's explosive plays with their athletic LBs blowing up a few bubble/tunnel screens and pitches. CC additionally has exceptional special teams that will not allow Moore much return opps (kickoffs into endzones and punts faircaught). This would be the makings of a classic match-up.

Trinity has seen multiple teams of equal or more talent than Covcath. Covcath has seen no one even close to the talent of Trinity. Most teams look great when they have the most talent on the field. This would be the first time Covcath faced a team they weren't better or more talented as soon as they walked on the field. Trinity though has seen teams with the talent of Covcath though.

I say saying it's just another game to them is pretty accurate. Trinity has seen many teams of equal or more talent than Covcath. Trinity has seen good qbs, good lines, defenses, etc. Covcath hasn't seen as much of that. Every game Covcath has walked onto the field as the most talented team with the better players. Trinity as mentioned already has seen multiple teams of equal or more talent than Covcath. While for Covcath trinity would by far be the most talented team they have seen this year. That is a big jump in talent level for Covcath to see, while Covcath would be nothing new for Trinity.

If Covcath would have played teams with better talent and possibly played a GCL team or even Louisville st. Xavier just to get them a look better talent. Then the shock of the talent they would see against Trinity wouldn't be as much.

I think Trinity would do to them what Covcath has done to many teams. With that shock of truly how good Trinity is once you are on the field with them allowing Trinity to jump on Covcath early by a few scores. I do think Covcath would settle down as the game went on but I just see Trinity winning by 14 to 21.

All I'm doing is pointing out CalPreps is saying Trinity hasn't seen anybody as good as CovCath. That differs than your opinion that Trinity has seen teams as good.