Balloons Knocked Out Power for 6000 in Covington

B-Ball-fan

Just before 4:00 p.m. yesterday as I was driving south on Scott St. in Covington I noticed starting around 3rd St. that the traffic lights were out, and holy crap this continued all the way up Scott to 20th Street.

Turns out that shiny mylar balloons had gotten tangled in the power lines near Riverside Drive in Covington knocking power out for 6000, and while 4000 of those customers had power again by 5:30, 2000 more were without until 9:00 p.m.

It seems that these type of balloons have already created issues for other cities in the past by getting tangled up in power lines.

Who knew? :eek:

Mylar balloons leave thousands without power in Covington

Edited by B-Ball-fan

Just before 4:00 p.m. yesterday as I was driving south on Scott St. in Covington I noticed starting around 3rd St. that the traffic lights were out, and holy crap this continued all the way up Scott to 20th Street.

Turns out that shiny mylar balloons had gotten tangled in the power lines near Riverside Drive in Covington knocking power out for 6000, and while 4000 of those customers had power again by 5:30, 2000 more were without until 9:00 p.m.

It seems that these type of balloons have already created issues for other cities in the past by getting tangled up in power lines.

Who knew? :eek:

Mylar balloons leave thousands without power in Covington

4-5 hours to clear a few balloons and get the line restarted? Oh yeah, Duke had to wait for contracted service guys to drive in from out of state.