How Many Free Throws Out of 100 Could You Make?

Lawnboy13

How Many Could You Make?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Could You Make?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a time in my life that I could have hit close to 80%. But that time is long gone.

On our Maroon and White Night a few weeks ago they did a $10 prize for a free throw made, $20 for a 3 points shot, and $50 for half court. They drew 3 tickets from a hat, so there were 3 different people shooting for the money prizes. Well when they got to the half court shot they drew my number and I was foolish enough to walk out there. I had a momentary lapse of memory that I have arthritic hands and wrists and I’m 63 years old. My shot attempt didn’t even make the top of the free throw circle, lol. Embarrassing.

But I did win a ”Shoot For The Bucks” T-Shirt, so I had that going for me.

There was a time in my life that I could have hit close to 80%. But that time is long gone.

On our Maroon and White Night a few weeks ago they did a $10 prize for a free throw made, $20 for a 3 points shot, and $50 for half court. They drew 3 tickets from a hat, so there were 3 different people shooting for the money prizes. Well when they got to the half court shot they drew my number and I was foolish enough to walk out there. I had a momentary lapse of memory that I have arthritic hands and wrists and I’m 63 years old. My shot attempt didn’t even make the top of the free throw circle, lol. Embarrassing.

But I did win a ”Shoot For The Bucks” T-Shirt, so I had that going for me.

Video?

A player from my school who went to Mississippi State (1963-66) held the consecutive free throw record in the SEC until the 1980’s. I think he made 56 straight before missing one. He’s 73 in age now but still in reasonably good shape, with his weight about the same as his playing days. If he had some time to work a few days on his shot I think he could still knock ‘me down. He had perfect form and technique back in his day. That’s what free throw shooting is all about anyway, good technique, rhythm, and the same routine every time.

You don't have to be an NBA player to shoot free throws.

You absolutely don't need to be an NBA (or really any kind of player) to be a good free throw shooter. But I'm guessing most of us aren't putting the work in that's needed to be a great free throw shooter either, and to go further, most aren't putting in any work at all practicing free throws. It's really hard to be better than average when your not doing something on a regular basis. That's why even though I was a decent shooter, I don't think I'd do much better than 50% right now.

After watching the Breds and Crusaders miss quite a few FT's tonight in their game, and reading that Highlands missed 10 of their last 11 FT's in a 1 point loss to Holmes, it got me thinking............Realistically, how many free throws out of 100 do you think you could make?

I told MentschTrachtGottLacht during the NewCath/St. Henry game, I could hit 90 of 100 free throws right now, and I haven't shot a basketball since shooting around at the Frankfort Convention Center during the All A State tourney.

No chance. :lol2:

1. No one on this site is hitting 90/100.

2. I'd be shocked if anyone hit 80/100.

3. Try running a sprints from one end of the court to the other between every 2 shots. Then see how many you hit.

I shoot 2 times a week at the gym and I'm pretty sure I would get close to 80. Unless you are doing this on a regular basis I don't think most would get to 70 honestly. Some are severely underestimating the rust factor.